• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch BULLYING and FRISBEE in a new short

Out of curiosity, how did you decide to edit it the way you did? It was pretty standard in some areas, but switched gears to and from the surreal very abruptly.

It was all boarded out in advance. There are some slow-mo and more stylized moments, and I think they happen in small sudden bursts because they seemed more impactful that way. Like emotional snippets that could quickly communicate things without going overboard.

Goodness.
This was very well done.
Excellent acting by everyone involved.
JT really sold it. Congratulations to him and the director. You guys really captured the inner pathetic-ness of a bully.

Great camera work, audio and editing.
Score to dialog ratio was spot on. Too often the score is too high obliterating the audio. This was balanced well.

The camera movement was G R E A T!
Your DP should teach classes on how to do hand held work?
Shoulder rig? Steady cam?

It would have been nice to see the camera cameos recording JT's overt "bad behavior" on the field.

Nice work.

rayw, thanks for watching!
Really appreciate the compliments.
We couldn't afford a steadicam and op, so DP Garrett Hardy Davis (www.garretthardydavis.com) just had an EZrig. There were 2 or 3 shots that were intentionally more shaky, and there he was pretty much running.

Just curious -- do you think of it as mainly a study of this bully, or do you get a sense of a more complex story?
Mainly that whenever JT tries to get violent, the Good Guys give it right back to him... fighting fire with fire... and in the end, that approach doesn't really change anything, aside from almost killing him. JT scraps together his image and keeps up his pride.
In fact, there's something less sympathetic about the Good Guys... You see JT go up to Kevin and shake his hand, and try not to let his jealousy take over... but the Good Guys start egging him on, almost like they want him to do something, so they can beat him up for it.

Oh, I picked up on the "good guys" give back.
I think it's fair that they play back just as hard as they did.

I'm a good guy.
But I ain't lettin' someone get away with sh!t because of it. :lol: Ha! They wish!

As far as it being part of a more complex story, I think this story is right at the edge of where law enforcement officers on the street have a hard time catching "bad guys" that some pedigreed psychiatrist sittin' around an ACed office all day is going to tell the court "he has mental and socialization issues stemming from his poor and unfortunate blah blah blah".
And the "bad guy" gets let back out on the street.

Did the JT character display repeated unjustified aggressive and offensive behavior?
Yes.
Why?
Well... that could be further explored in the ever expanding complexities that have been provided here.

Sure, I guess that's where it becomes a matter of personal opinion.
On the one hand, I think what the Good Guys are doing back can be justified. It was important not to exaggerate them too much, or lose that realism.
But on the other hand, it reaches the point where JT's trying to turn away, but the Good Guys are taunting him and egging him on. Wouldn't better people not do that?
Not only that, but they seem to delight in roughing him up. And getting it on camera. I wouldn't condone that. And we're never shown JT doing anything as bad as that.

JT was never provoked to engage in his behavior or outbursts. He synthesized decisions based upon his interpretation of stimuli.
The Good Guys only responded to JT's inappropriate behavior, albeit on the edge of excess.

Obviously they were ignoring him, egging him, or roughing him up.
They have just as much interest in JT leaving and never returning to their company as JT should have in leaving.
The idiot should have taken a hint and left - assuming that he was a rational person, which clearly he wasn't.

I don't expect young adults to be quite this perceptive.
Frankly, I doubt most mature adults are.

And this is exactly where our culture drops the ball on mental health issues.
We want people that don't make good decisions to - make good decisions.
Now, how stupid is that?
Yet, that's pretty much what most "sane" people do.

Then these kids, and sometimes adults, return to the campus or workplace to demand attention with firearms.
Well, golllllly. Ain't that a shocker! :rolleyes:

There's a film out I'd like to eventually get around to seeing: BEAUTIFUL BOY
I think it addresses the broader scope of the position some "JT"s find themselves.

The Good Guys may actually be quasi-good guys, but our society doesn't have a very effective leadership in addressing people between two overt groups, good or not-as-good.

FANTASTIC short! I was clued to the screen! the cinematography and audio were amazing! great job! Did or are you attending film school?

Interesting. Been meaning to check out Beautiful Boy.
I think something like that is an extreme case. JT wasn't meant to be so much a dangerous nutcase as a wannabe tough guy. It's told from his perspective so you feel why he would react the way he does -- jealousy and pride are pretty basic instinctive reasons to act out... and that's a bit different than the quiet, calculating, introverted campus outcasts you hear about in school shootings.

Is he rational? No. But then I'd argue the Good Guys aren't really either. If they were truly sane -- which they might think they are, but really aren't -- wouldn't they have the objectivity to understand what kind of person JT is, and not do things that would incite him, or at least try to handle it more maturely?

The biggest point to me is when JT makes the effort to turn away, but you hear the Good Guys teasing "aren't you gonna do anything about that??" I'm thinking perhaps that area needs to be a bit clearer so it's not glazed over. If they weren't taunting like that, I don't think JT would have then run at Kevin and beat him up the way he did. The Good Guys aren't simply responding to him. Most things are a mutual 2-way exchange, and everyone's responsible.

Thanks frokeyman! Went to NYU, but actually studied dramatic writing. Wasn't until I graduated a few years back that I was able to get some better inspiration and start writing/directing, working a day job as an editor, and getting some good crew contacts.

Aside from the wonderful story, cinematography, editing, writing, and acting, I forgot to mention -- congrats on taking the lens cap off! Looks like you captured a video on your camera after you pointed it! :D

lol thanks Pete! Sometimes the most difficult part is easy to overlook.

Back