Just saw La la land.

This is not my genre, but I liked the movie, and I'm inspired to continuing with my passion project. That said, the industry insiders seem to have overhyped it - I mean, it's good, but it's not THAT good.

It's a fun movie! I think it's really well done and one of the best movies of the year for sure. It has a fantastic mix of reality and dream through the entire story.

This movie has been hyped up so much, that I really am expecting a truly revolutionary mindblowing masterpiece of cinema. I hope my expectations haven't been set to high, but all the hype did it!

The hype made me not to watch it right away, but rather wait for it to land onto my VOD.

Funny thing though, the 50/60`es themed visuals and color styling, coupled with musical genre was the "thing" in several Russian movie and TV productions in the last decade ("Hipsters", "Ottepel", etc.) so when I saw the "La la land" dancing poster, with the colored shirts and all, my reaction was.... not that thing again?
-

Last edited:
I never believe any hype anymore. Industry insiders hype movies so they can make more money.
The two main stars are decent singers & dancers but they're more for box office instead of musical ability. By the time they were dancing in the sky I was done. It seemed like the special effects there was trying to make up for the dance, instead of enhancing it like it's supposed to do.
The movie draws me in more when it goes into its non-musical scenes, so that's a problem in a musical.
This movie's style was the kind of thing that Fred Astaire & Gene Kelly were great at, unfortunately there's no one in the movie that comes close to that.

La La Land is a Trump fever dream; its values are Caucasian and suburban, and it only works if you don't know An American In Paris exists.

Hell Or High Water is Bernie Sanders. It featured an airtight script about cash on hand, finance, jobs, ownership, haves and have nots, desperation, and what all that does to families.

Just my opinion. :)

La La Land is a Trump fever dream; its values are Caucasian and suburban, and it only works if you don't know An American In Paris exists.

Hell Or High Water is Bernie Sanders. It featured an airtight script about cash on hand, finance, jobs, ownership, haves and have nots, desperation, and what all that does to families.

Just my opinion. :)

Politics nooooooo.

Ha. This is one of my favorite films of the last ten years. The production and value that was placed on referencing the "older" types of movies really made this shine. I'm not a fan of musicals but La La Land seemed to be very optimistic which is refreshing in a down beat trend of most movies.

Also the way it lost the Oscar for best picture was very much like the story it was telling.

Back