Shot design suggestions for docu style commercial?

I'm producing a 5-6min information commercial/promo for a non-profit (shot like a documentary with interviews cut in between scenes of user participating in the programs) and I'd like some ideas for creative and thoughtful shot/scene transitions. The interviews are already filmed and in a couple days we'll begin filming the location footage of people participating/interacting within the programs offered by the non profit.

To be perfectly clean, Im not looking for suggestions that have to do with editing the footage (i.e., swipes or fades, etc). What Im looking for is natural transition ideas from one shot/scene to another shot on location. Here are a few I thought of off the top of my head. Please add:

swish pan or whip pan: slow pan as usual and then at the end, do a fast pan. For the scene you want to connect it to, do the same. Can also do a whip pan in the direction the character turns head (comic effect). The recent Birman movie used pans as transition points to give the DP a break, but in editing they were able to make it look like one long continuous take.
walk through camera: character appears to walk into the lens and when the screen fills with their body, cuts to shot of character walking out/away from camera.
Zoom transition.

Any others? I'm also looking for general ideas for shot design if you care to add/suggest. :)

Make sure you have enough footage so you can do straight cuts anyway. Many of these swish/whip pan may not work out as you expect. IMO, transitions ought not be the star of the program.

Good luck.

Thanks. Yes I will have plenty of footage. I don't plan on having the transitions as the star of the shop, but some of this footage will be dry so I want to make it interesting with creative camera work.

Back