New Electronics for the CP-16

For those looking for low budget 16mm, I wanted to introduce a project I have been working on.

It is the CP-16 Archimedes.

I am working on it to provide an option for low budget 16mm film. The electronics upgrades the camera to about Arri SRII specs in less than 1/3 the cost (camera + upgrade). My aim is to make 16mm more viable for the low budget projects.

I have been an avid CP user for years, and recently the electronics board on my camera fried. That prompted a (so far) 6 month side project to develop new electronics for the camera. I have built the first two prototypes, locked the software and hardware, I have several manufacturers lined up to produce the boards, LCD, buttons and back-plate. It fits inside the camera the way the old electronics did (no flimsy external box, my electronics hide behind thick steel. No cheap LED display, mine has full 16 character LCD menu system)

It also upgrades functionality:

2-64fps in 1fps increments (+23.976 and 29.97, all crystal sync). That speeds up the camera from the usual top limit of 36fps.

Magazine selectable length (from 10-400', or 3-120m), controls the film warning alarm. Great for short ends!

Inching function (so you can electronically inch the camera, avoiding opening the door to check the gate)

Battery Threshold select (select the sensitivity of the battery alarm light to compensate for higher frame rates or older batteries)

Feet or Meter metrics

Footage (or meter) counter (also controls the film roll-out warning light)

Odometer (counts every foot passed through the camera after the Archimedes upgrade is installed, up to 6.5million feet)

Battery Meter (measures and displays battery/mains power in 5.0-36.0 Vdc, +/- 0.1v accuracy)

External connector (allows for mains power, or external accessories, to include intervalometers and milliframe controllers....coming soon.)

LCD readout of settings, counters and voltmeters.

original viewfinder LEDs for Battery, Film and Sync warning lights

Easy to navigate menu interface to select options

stores settings upon power down

Rugged Microprocessor design, with flash memory based program (est. memory durability: 50 years+, according to manufacturer)

Did I mention 2-64fps, plus 23.976 and 29.97?

Price for the upgrade is $995 for the upgrade+$250 for installation and functionality tests.

This is still in final development and testing, it should be ready for install in about 2 months. The first 10 to pay deposit on their upgrade will receive free installation (a $250 value). Sign up for the "for sale" announcement email list so you can be among the first to have it at CP16 (at) randomacronym.com

Behind the scenes of 1st Gen Prototype video at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kT_SLbJWvg&NR=1

Telecine of the first film ever ran through a CP-16 Archimedes at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50BMeBSIwro

I don't want this to seem like an advertisement, although it sort of is. I am an average low budget cinematographer attempting to leverage my ancillary skills into a product that can set me up to be independent along with being able to finance a few low budget features....I hope you all will understand. I have developed this upgrade on very limited personal funds and free time.

I do intend to be useful on this site, beyond just answering questions about the Archimedes. I have been a somewhat common poster in the past under a different name. Since I represent my product now, I figure I should put my real name behind anything I say from now on.

Any questions I will be more than happy to field. I am quite proud of this product and pretty open about its development and inner workings. (if nothing else Kodak sent me 2000' for free to test it, and several models, film vendors, and crew have volunteered their time to test it out, so its been good in that respect)

I’m not a CP-16 owner, but it’s still great to see upgrade work like this being done.
I have seen a few refurbished and modded B&H Eyemos that were way cool.

Do you have a photo of a completed unit?

-Thanks-

Hi buddy, No photos just yet (there still isn't a finished unit ready yet) In about 2 months I should receive the first boards and back panels. For now first gen prototype is the one you saw in the video. Second Gen is on a perf board in a project box that I gaffe tape to the side of the camera.

The final board goes inside the camera, and the back panel is replaced with one fitted for the LCD and buttons. I want to get a little closer to software lock before I place my order for all that inventory. But once I do, I certainly will post the photos!

Back