Lenses with IS question

Dear friends,

I'm about to purchase a new camera (70d) with some glass. I have been wanting to add an 85mm lens to my collection for some time now and it's about time. Originally, I had my heart set on the Canon 85mm USM 1.8 lens but then found out it doesn't have stabilization. I shoot most of my stuff on shoulder rigs, monopods etc so not having that really hinders me.

My question is, I saw a Rokinon 85mm DS Cine lens 1.5 and I can't find info on weather is has stabilization. Do any of you guys know? Also, if there is any you know of that do, please let me know. Thank you all so much!

~Brandon

Why get a 70D in the first place??? Is such a poor choice for shooting films with

You can get better cameras for less, for example: Sony A6000, Panasonic G7, Nikon D5200.

And no, Rokinon doesn't have optical stabilisation. Primes with OIS is in the minority. And cinema lenses basically almost always never ever have OIS. (can't think of a single PL mount lens with it!)

So this shouldn't put you off buying Rokinon lenses if filmmaking is your direction, I've got a set myself:
http://ironfilm.co.nz/rokinon-cine-lenses/

Last edited:
I currently shoot with a T3i, and have a few lenses for it (nifty fifty, kit and 35mm prime). When I went around and asked for choices on the upgrade, they recommended the 70d because it was still a solid camera. I was looking at maybe the BMPCC but they said since you gotta buy all new lenses for the mount, it jacks the price up way out of my league.

Do you have any suggestions? And thank you for the great advice, I really appreciate it

I think it's pointless to go from DSLR crop sensor to DSLR crop sensor. The T3i will match the 70D in 90% of the situations one might shoot in. If I were you, I'd keep the T3i and wait to upgrade until you actually have the money to move up to a mirrorless camera or super35mm camcorder. I think that in waiting to accumulate money, you'll realize that the T3i will do more than enough for the projects you want to create. If it's not "enough" then you need to get better at lighting, composition, and using your camera in general.

Source: Kendy Ty's countless films shot on a simple T2i.

Opus - After 5 solid years with the T3i, it finally ceased working so in my $1000 or less budget for a camera, that's what I've come up with as the best option.

sfoster - Nope, never installed it. Heard many things, but haven't looked at an install for how to do it.

Honestly, the 70d offers very very little improvements on the t3i. In terms of video image quality you will find almost zero improvements.

The cameras Ironfilm recommended or the blackmagic pocket camera with an EF mount speedbooster would be better in my opinion, you can still use your old lenses.

I currently shoot with a T3i, and have a few lenses for it (nifty fifty, kit and 35mm prime). When I went around and asked for choices on the upgrade, they recommended the 70d because it was still a solid camera. I was looking at maybe the BMPCC but they said since you gotta buy all new lenses for the mount, it jacks the price up way out of my league.

Do you have any suggestions? And thank you for the great advice, I really appreciate it

You don't need to buy all new lenses, just buy a lens mount adapter EF-MFT:

http://www.amazon.com/Fotasy-AMEF-T...=1433887094&sr=8-2&keywords=ef+to+mft+adapter

The BMPCC is an amazing camera. I actually sold my Canon C300 after using it, because the RAW image is just that impressive.

The BMPCC I think is a bad choice on a lower budget. As it's probably been said millions of time here, the batteries are terrible.

The quality of the BMPCC is brilliant but I find the battery thing a huge hindrance during a shoot. 15-20 mins per battery, even with switching the camera off as often as you can. When you do this you have to re-setup the shot as the settings reset.

Magic Lantern is definitely a great option for an upgrade free of charge. I've been using on my 60D for a couple of years now.

If you're going to upgrade wait a while, install ML and save for something a bit more up the ladder that will future proof you a bit. By the time you've saved there will be plenty of new cameras to choose from and you'll definitely have a better view of what you're looking for. Plus a few of the cameras that are too expensive now will have dropped in price and give you more of a choice.

The BMPCC I think is a bad choice on a lower budget. As it's probably been said millions of time here, the batteries are terrible.

The quality of the BMPCC is brilliant but I find the battery thing a huge hindrance during a shoot. 15-20 mins per battery, even with switching the camera off as often as you can. When you do this you have to re-setup the shot as the settings reset.

Magic Lantern is definitely a great option for an upgrade free of charge. I've been using on my 60D for a couple of years now.

If you're going to upgrade wait a while, install ML and save for something a bit more up the ladder that will future proof you a bit. By the time you've saved there will be plenty of new cameras to choose from and you'll definitely have a better view of what you're looking for. Plus a few of the cameras that are too expensive now will have dropped in price and give you more of a choice.

That's why you get something like the Switronix or IndieProTools Canon Ep-6 battery adapters which are super cheap and allow you to shoot 3-4 hours without switching batteries, thus still keeping it a very cheap and amazing camera choice ;)

That's why you get something like the Switronix or IndieProTools Canon Ep-6 battery adapters which are super cheap and allow you to shoot 3-4 hours without switching batteries, thus still keeping it a very cheap and amazing camera choice ;)

I wish I had of known about this in November. It would have helped to no end. :lol:

Back