How long should a scene take to shoot in this case...

For my next short, that I have gotten a couple of people interested in so far, and counting hopefully, it's a 15 page script, all in one location. However, this makes it a tough shoot, cause I can only have the location for about 4 hours a week, and I have to make it match enough each shooting, as well as keeping the actors looking the same.

I am wondering how long do you think I could shoot it, if I work fast, perhaps. Like since it's all one scene, all in a real time like setting, I could see how long the actors can carry it for until the next time. Like since a page is roughly a minute of shooting, since this is all one scene, I might be able to get a master shot of the whole movie in 15 minutes about, after rehearsals, and do a couple of more takes of it. There are of course a couple of little scenes, but the majority of the script is one scene.

Then I would do all the other shots, but since it's all one big long scene, rather than multiple little scenes, it's a different work approach for me, for sure. What do you think?

Last edited:
Well I mean I want to work with what I have and I am told to make compromises to make things work for me, given the situation. So shouldn't I just compromise with the 4 hour time slots if that's what it takes to get it shot?

I worked under a director who had to shoot a scene in three hours once, and he got it done, so I thought maybe I could as well. Plus I am allowed to set up earlier, it's just the owner is not willing to leave for more than four hours. So I can set up, while she is there, but then once the cast arrives, I can have them arrive when she is about to leave, so the location will be quiet then.

Last edited:
Script: check
6,406 forum questions answered: check

You have enough to do this. Now get busy! Not one more question! I know you want to say "okay yes, but..." NO! I'm sorry it is not allowed.

I still don't understand why you don't write something that you can shoot where YOU live.

This +1

Plus: how many days are you planning to keep your cast and crew coming back.
You compromise in such a way you paint yourself in a corner.

Why don't you compromise and write 5 pages?
Or, if you go ahead: it is your plan. We don't know how fast you can work.
Stop asking: it is time for action without slowing yourself down with internet polling'/trolling.

I live with people and they make noise. I wouldn't be able to get them to leave for more than few hours probably. As for writing something shorter, I got two people interested in a script that is 15 pages but all in one location, so I though I might as well continue with what they are interested in.

Last edited:
Why am I going down this rabbit hole....
so I thought maybe I could as well.
This is why those of us who are actual filmmakers, make movies.

YOU think you could do something so you come here (and two other
boards) and ask. Then you don't make a movie because you are
indecisive. An actual FILMMAKER tries it. If they fail, they make another
movie. Not once every two years, once a month. Hell, I made two short
films a month (shooting ON FILM) for three years. It took that many (a
little over 50 three to six minute shorts) and that long before I made a
movie I was willing to show anyone. With that one I won over a dozen
awards in seven film festivals.

I sure hope you deeply appreciate all the help, advice and encouragement
you get here.

Last edited:
I want to, it's just I need to find a location first. The two people got back to me, and are only free to make it on the weekends they said, so my place is out, since no one wants to leave or be quiet there, on the weekend. So I'll look for another place.

Oh, for the love of...

I want to, it's just I need to find a location first. The two people got back to me, and are only free to make it on the weekends they said, so my place is out, since no one wants to leave or be quiet there, on the weekend. So I'll look for another place.

There are at least 6 Bed and Breakfast establishments in Saskatoon. Inquire about renting one out for a three-day weekend shoot.

Of course, let's not forget...

You have a simple project idea in front of you that would allow you to go out and make a damn short film RIGHT NOW. So what do you do? You go back into your pattern of finding an overcomplicated project that leaves you indecisive and ensures that it'll never get off the ground.

STOP POSTING.
GRAB YOUR CAMERA.
MAKE SOMETHING.

You guys spend all your time replying to H44's posts (and complain) but yet when other members actually post something of substance or try to show work they've completed or get distribution, nothing. There is something wrong with that.

I don't want anybody that keeps replying to H44 to complain. You guys are enablers.

I had a couple thoughts. First, the general idea is 1 page of script is equal to about 1 minute of film time, runtime, not the amount of time it takes to film the page. Second, I would see if you could get multiple cameras. Sometimes libraries even rent them out. This way, with enough rehearsal, you can do it all in one take and have your establishing shot and closeups all at once.

Second, I would see if you could get multiple cameras. Sometimes libraries even rent them out. This way, with enough rehearsal, you can do it all in one take and have your establishing shot and closeups all at once.

He can barely function by himself with one ca,era, constantly complaining that he cannot find crew. Let's not complicate things even further by leading him down this path.

He can barely function by himself with one camera, constantly complaining that he cannot find crew. Let's not complicate things even further by leading him down this path.
Too late.

Now he is going to say, "One guy said I should get a camera from a
library and shoot with two cameras." And then ask us how to do that.
And what library to go to. And what camera to get. And how to match
those cameras. And how to light in this case...

To SleepyDogFilms, how many library's offer cameras in your area?
Are they checked out like books or DVD's. Are they maintained by the
library staff?

Back