• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Using music from other movies.

I am making a micro-budget short film for festivals and I heard that some of these shorts legally get music from other movies, since they are on a tight budget. I was thinking I might do that but not sure. Would it cost more to buy music from somewhere else rather than pay someone to write and compose original music, plus renting a synthesizer? Or do festivals not like if the music has already been in another film? Thanks.

There are films that reuse scores from other films, but my understanding is that they're usually owned by the same studios. I may be wrong however.

There's tons of people that will score for next to nothing to get their foot in the door, as with any other film role. I've seen a few ads here.

Audition them though, listen to work they've done. A bad score can wreck a picture, a good one can make it.

You may not use any music from any source unless you have permission.

There are numerous places where you can find film music available for free.

There are thousands of composers willing to work for credit only, and many have posted in our classified ad section.

Festivals don't decide to select or not select a movie based on any single ingredient; they are (usually) judging the film as a whole, and music is only a small ingredient of the total package.

No of course I know to get permission, I did not mean to imply that I wouldn't. Yes I could use a guy who wants to get his foot in the door, but how do you politely advertise for a job, if you can pay very little to no money on a shoe string budget? I just don't wanna make the audition advertisement sound really cheap.

Go to talent circle .org there are tons of people wanting composers on there and none of them pay so one more wont hurt :P Also go on myspace and just ask people. A lot of bands dont mind there music going in to a film for free because its good promotion and they are not film composers so they aren't going to be losing income.

Sure thanks guys. I'll check that site out. I would totally be up for using a song during the end credits, if a band wants to get a song out there noticed and all that. But I wouldn't want to use songs during the movie, as it would not fit the tone of it. Only dark dramatic suspense music would.

I have an independent tv series, and theres a guy online named Kevin Mcleod who makes royalty free film scores from all genres. Check him out. I believe his site is incompetech.com I'm not sure but google it. I've used him before.

If you want your movie to be original, it needs it's own soundtrack. Relying on already-made soundtracks is a bad idea in my opinion. We have a section full of composers who are willing to work for people like you. If I were you, I would take a peek in there!
I'd facepalm if I recognize an overplayed piece of Hans Zimmer in independent movies. It's just wrong. :\

Okay thanks. There are a lot of composers around my area, but most don't do the kind of really serious suspense music type I am looking for. But yeah, I would like something original yet Hans Zimmer-ish would be good.

Okay thanks. There are a lot of composers around my area, but most don't do the kind of really serious suspense music type I am looking for. But yeah, I would like something original yet Hans Zimmer-ish would be good.

A composer is one job in the film industry where distance doesn't really matter. The speed of modern internet connections, free voice calling and the ease with which we can send video files means it doesn't really make much difference if they're next door or on the other side of the world. Face-to-face communication is nice, but it's the end product that counts.

A composer is one job in the film industry where distance doesn't really matter. The speed of modern internet connections, free voice calling and the ease with which we can send video files means it doesn't really make much difference if they're next door or on the other side of the world. Face-to-face communication is nice, but it's the end product that counts.

Very true chilipie.

I did three features last year where I wasn't in the same city as the production. And even more interestingly a doco in which I was in the same city as the director and we met once to say hello at the start and that was it. I've found communication runs very smoothly with email and skype.

Harmonica44. Have a look at all the global ads on this site. I think you're sure to find a good fit for your short. No need to restrict yourself to your own backyard.

Harmonica44. Have a look at all the global ads on this site. I think you're sure to find a good fit for your short. No need to restrict yourself to your own backyard.

Great point. People are always asking where to find music they can legally use in their productions - and there are loads of musicians right here who will happily work for free.

There are films that reuse scores from other films, but my understanding is that they're usually owned by the same studios. I may be wrong however. ....

This is not a direct answer to the question, but the James Bond films featuring Connery reused the same music in movie after movie. It was only the theme song, played at the beginning and end, that was new music.

Back