• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Interpretation of this License?

Hi Everyone,

I was reading about licenses and I don’t seem to comprehend one of them. It’s the one you need when you want to ’’use a song directly off of a pre-recorded source, like a CD or tape, and use it in the film” (words of Brandon A. Blake Entertainment Lawyer, http://www.blakewang.com/music_lawyer.htm , lines 30-33 in the 1st paragraph).

I’m not sure I understand it. Could you, please, be so kind as to help me with this? Some examples could be very illuminating as well.

Thank you very much in advance!

I'm not sure what you don't understand - but I'll give it a shot:

If you want to use a song in your movie you must get three licenses (or rights):

1 - the right to synchronize the music with the film - called the Sync License.
2 - the right to show the movie that includes the song.
3 - the right to use (copy) the song.

An example: You want to use the Lennon/McCartney song "Ticket to Ride" in
your movie. Not a cover version but the actual version of the song that you
find on a CD or download, you need to get three licenses in order to use the
song.

Dear Directorik,

Thanks for your answer. I thought I didn’t understand it right but it seems I did.

Then, my question is, which is the one you call a Recording License/Master Use License/Master Recording License? It’s the 2nd and the 3rd one together, right?

And then what do you call 2 and 3, if you want to name them separately? Please, could you let me know?

Despite my reading, I’m still confused about the terminology.

Thank you in advance!

The "Recording License/Master Use License/Master Recording
License" are the same thing.

That license means you can use the original (or "master) recording.
This is different from a cover version.

Glad to. I hope you stick around and participate in this community.

I'm curious: how did you come across indietalk? Why did you ask
these questions here?

Dear Directorik,

Sorry for not replying to you earlier, but this is the first time I’m here since my last post, and I didn’t know of your question.

I asked about the licenses because I’m not a native speaker of English, and it’s sometimes difficult to understand what terms in this field mean, especially that it’s not exactly an easy subject (or so I think).

Anyway, I needed the information, and I feel honored that I got it from a Pro from Hollywood :)

Back