• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

newbie cue sheet/music question

hi guys, I'm in the early stages of putting together my first feature this summer and I have a few questions to save my headaches later on.

i found a local band off myspace who are keen to do the score for the movie and my question is this, in the cue sheet do I need to include the full track length or just how much of the track is being used? (if that makes sense)

my second question is, we have a scene set in a nightclub with a dj playing music. Do I need to get permission for each track used?

any help will be wecomed, thanks

You need permission to use the track, and include in the agreement that you can edit the music as required. Nothing else is necessarily required, but could be by the band.

And yes, you need permission for every track that you use.

my second question is, we have a scene set in a nightclub with a dj playing music. Do I need to get permission for each track used?

Yes.

As for your first question, I think the answer is between you and the band. Are you in different locations? If you're near each other, I would watch the rough cut with them, and just discuss it as you watch it. If you can't watch it with them, I would just let them watch it, then ask for their input, and from there you begin a back-and-forth conversation of what you feel each scene needs, and the nitty-gritty details should arise from that conversation.

I think it'd be a bad idea to just give them a cue-sheet in which you tell them exactly when music should go where. Filmmaking is a collaborative process, and for good reason.

Back