Super 8 film with sound availability ?

Hi everyone. I just picked up a very nice Bell & Howell Filmsonic XL super 8 camera for $8 yesterday. I have a couple of questions about it. Someone told me that film with sound is no longer available for the super 8 cameras? Is this true? What are some good o rocessing centers that can also do a HD scan and put the film on a DVD for me? I have read numerous bad stories about Pro8mm.com. Does anyone know of other places that are trustworthy? Someone mentioned a place in Seattle but couldn't remember the name of the place. If film with sound is still available will any microphone with the correct plus work with it? Any tipsor advice on shooting with the camera would be great. One more thing. Is it possible to put different lenses in the camera?

Thanks,
Paul Kepner

You'll have to record sound with another device and match it up in post. While 8mm is an interesting and still viable format, if you're going low budget, you may wish to go digital. The "developing" costs are not cheap for 8mm, especially if you plan to shoot a lot of footage.

Someone told me that film with sound is no longer available for the super 8 cameras? Is this true?

Yes, that is true.

What are some good o rocessing centers that can also do a HD scan and put the film on a DVD for me? I have read numerous bad stories about Pro8mm.com. Does anyone know of other places that are trustworthy?

I'm not sure Pro8mm is bad, but they are very expensive.

good o rocessing centers that can also do a HD scan and put the film on a DVD for me?

Yale Film & Video is a decent place. I don't think they do 2K for Super-8 or 8mm, though. I've always had a SD telecine, exported out onto mini-DV tape. It's been a while, so maybe they have an HD for S8 now.

You'll likely not have an option to put the scanned film on DVD. You either get an export to tape, or if you chosse the digitised file it will need to go onto a hard drive. Some places let you provide your own; others don't.

Any tipsor advice on shooting with the camera would be great.

Don't trust the internal light meter, if it has one.

Buy a light meter and learn to use it.

Look up the notch system for your camera, and see how it will read today's S8 cartridges at.

Understand the difference between daylight-balanced & tungsten-balanced film, and how to make compensation adjustments for either.

One more thing. Is it possible to put different lenses in the camera?

Probably not, but there are several filters to screw on the end of the lens that come in useful. Shades of Neutral Density and a Blue one, for starters. (Your camera has a switchable orange one built in, I believe. Prolly better off using a new Orange one anyway)

Have fun with it! :)

Back