$700 DSLR suggestion

Okay here's the deal... I just set up a loan that i sign on tomorrow, giving me $700 to put into a camera. Just hoping to hear some suggestions regarding cameras in, and under that price. Here's the main rub though... I am physically handicapped which leaves me unable to hold a camera at eye level. I have to shoot from the chest/hip. This means I either need a camera with a multi-angle LCD, or a camera cheap enough to leave me with enough cash to purchase an external monitor. I'm leaning towards the T3i(600D). I'm also very interested in advise on low-cost lenses. My first project I'll be shooting on the new camera is a horror film, which will require a lot of night scenes.

Okay here's the deal... I just set up a loan that i sign on tomorrow, giving me $700 to put into a camera. Just hoping to hear some suggestions regarding cameras in, and under that price. Here's the main rub though... I am physically handicapped which leaves me unable to hold a camera at eye level. I have to shoot from the chest/hip. This means I either need a camera with a multi-angle LCD, or a camera cheap enough to leave me with enough cash to purchase an external monitor. I'm leaning towards the T3i(600D). I'm also very interested in advise on low-cost lenses. My first project I'll be shooting on the new camera is a horror film, which will require a lot of night scenes.

wheelman - if you can swing the extra $70 - I'd get the Panasonic GH2 from Unique Photo for $770.

Higher resolution video camera than the T3i - has no 12 minute video clip limit - autofocus works in video mode - viewfinder works in video mode - good low light performance with fast lenses and high bitrate hack (see this video: https://vimeo.com/32520456)

If you can't afford the GH2 - the T3i is a good second choice. $680 used at Amazon.

Good luck!

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
I may have misunderstood, but are you planning on just doing handheld shots? Because 99% of the time handheld looks really bad. Put the camera on a tripod, problem solved. No monitor needed.

T3i is a good camera. The pop-out LCD is really convenient.

Back