PERMITS - Anyone ever shut down?

I am doing a film in Los Angeles on private property. I have the owners approval and there are no businesses around him. I was wondering if anyone has ever been shut down on private property while shooting for not having a permit. The city of Los Angeles wants too much money and we are such a small crew I figure we can work around it. Please share BAD any experiences.

I actually just shot, err, "filmed" in some schools last week. It's a process for sure, and you gotta have a really good reason for being there and generally can't show any kids' faces. I was working with a group doing an assembly. If I was on my own there's no way I would have been there.

@Indiebudget haha yikes! That reminds me, I almost got called in for "stripping cars" about 10-11 years ago too. We were shooting in a field that belonged to a big organization and we had all the permission to get there. I hadn't actually been there yet, I was with one of their security officers getting some doors unlocked that we needed when a frantic guy pulls up. "hey hey there's a bunch of kids stripping cars in the field"... I thought "isn't that where we're supposed to meet?" then it clicked, and I explained it was us haha.

I hadn't thought about that. I'd say school district sites are iffy -- adults on school property get people's attention easily.

It actually was an abandoned Agriculture "farm" the school district had abandoned 10 years ago. We had shot there for months without a problem. we had nekkid gurlies running around screaming bloody murder too. Right next to a busy intersection. Luckily it was totally covered by heavy brush so no one ever knew. This was a pickup shot we were doing. Funny as hell. I had just smoked a doobie and was totally baked and then, "the cops are here" :weird:

TOTAL buzzkill. We were shooting the epic turdfest movie Cannibal Killer Clowns On Dope. The "Talent" was in clown makeup. We had a bag of "Dope" laying out. It was "Clown Dope" even had DOPE on the bag. I think it was plastic bits that looked like powder. The cops were almost laughing. One wanted a copy of the movie and a year later I bumped into him and gave him a copy.

Last edited:
Back