Is it worth going to a comic con, to learn about filmmaking?

They are having one where near where I live, and it would be a few hours drive. Here's the attractions:

http://www.fanexporegina.com/attractions

They only have filmmakers Q & A for one movie though, so I was wondering if it's even worth going for an entire weekend if there just seems to be one movie. But people on here, have said that comic cons are a good place to make connections, so what do you think of this one?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Does the rest of the con interest you? Do you want to grab some comics or get an autograph or two? Do you want to chat with some folks into cosplay (the cosplay folks I know make their own costumes. While they're usually basing them on comic/game/movie characters, that doesn't mean they wouldn't be interested in doing something original for a film. I know a few people who do both).

Looking at the lineup, Peter S Beagle is a good speaker, and I'm enough of a Buffy fan to care about Nicholas Brendon. And who doesn't like Ray Park! The "Web Series for Grown Ups" should also be on your list to check out, particularly if the creators are local-ish. Seems like a good time and if you like comics and have never been to a con, definitely worth the drive.

I've been to local comicons, and, for the time you spend, you might as well go to a film market. That said, the world comicons in San Diego and New York may be the exceptions to the rule, but, even then, if you want to go into film, would you go to a comicon or a film market? Probably a film market.

But the experience would still be good, if you are a fan boy/aspiring mogul.

Just think about their target audience. Fanboys, not filmmakers. How much do you think you're going to learn from a fanboy show?

Forget about "should I go?" for this or that reason. Go experience something new and different. Meet new people. Have some fun. If something else comes out of it all for the better, but just go an enjoy yourself.

I've been to quite a few comicons now, mostly in the Denver area, and I'm going to Stargate-con this August in Chicago. My experience has always varied greatly from convention to convention - some conventions have wonderful, others tend to be real stale. The ones that are stale focus widely on selling you crap, and less on the experience - more often than not they are like that. Massive retail floors, paying money for autographs/pictures, and paying money to get into the panels.

I've never really enjoyed going for more than a day to any convention, unless there is something specific I don't want to miss on multiple days. Usually, though, you get sick of it after a day or so - especially since half of it is just selling you things.

In regards to learning about film making... You'd be a whole lot better off watching specific panels online, since some great panels for specific movies and shows are filmed at the bigger conventions. You're probably not going to get a lot out of going specifically to learn about film making.

Go if you want to nerd out and take a picture with the 501st and that sort of thing - I'm not sure if I'd go specifically to learn about film making, though. It's a broader experience.

Edit: Upon surfing your Expo's website, I'd say go for it - It's very cheap for a convention. $50 bucks for a weekend pass full of goodies? That's the best deal I've ever seen for a comicon.

Last edited:
I saw Captain Kirk today!

And Michael Rooker and Bruce Campbell were a lot of fun too.

picture.php

Michael Rooker was standing right next to me for a time, within arm's reach. That was cool. He's a bundle of energy and a real crowd-pleaser. He really works the whole room, and was very entertaining. If you ever have the chance to attend his Q&A at a comic con, I definitely recommend it.

Last edited:
We have a huge one called otakon here in baltimore.

Also we host the worlds largest my little pony convention. Bronycon

Someone posted most of the Bruce Campbell Q&A. They lopped off the beginning. Which is sort of too bad since there were quite a few laughs then, too. But it was also probably the right call because it got pretty awkward and sketchy with the first to audience members he had up there. But that guy was really good. And I was sitting, I think, just a bit behind the camera man. Wasn't really aware he was recording the whole show. Hey, it's almost like you were there. =P

NSFW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCwmFW_Vn_Y

Yeah, the tickets are a bit pricey. And in another video someone said it was $85 just to get a Shatner signature. One-hundred plus to get a photo with him. But, how cool would that be if you got the doe? Hopefully others were more affordable.

But I think it's a really cool opportunity to see some of your favorite movie stars, like Bruce Campbell. So it's fun for movie and TV lovers, too.

Prices like those are thanks to Wizard, they are absolute assholes to the community but everyone just puts up with (including the celebrities).

I remember Krewe da Who got Matt Smith to come to New Orleans Comic Con and he absolutely hated not being allowed to randomly talk to fans or do things like free signatures or the ever-so-common "can you say hi to my friend video/call".

I don't think I'd try to go to a Wizard run event and pay more anymore than what's required to see a panel and even that would require the panelist to be someone I absolutely adore like Campbell or Nathan Fillion. (Granted I'm busting out a lot of money for MegaCon Orlando's Summer Glau, David Ramsney, Alan Dyruk, That Guy With The Hat From Firefly, etc....)

Back