Director is a total b****

Hey fellow creative friends,

So this is more of a rant and a reaching out to people who may have had this same sort of problem than anything else I guess. Sorry if it's in the wrong forum?

I've started being the sound pony for the bitchiest most arrogant, stuck up director I could imagine putting up with. That person that's just on the cusp of me staying and going. She likes the idea of being a director so much it makes her tingle with self-centered, sycophantic, yay I'm the best director ever attitude.

Ultimately I'm new to this kind of work in general, and so is she, so much so this is a qweky little independent film and I'm not being paid. She's done a few well shot music videos in the past, so I've been pretty excited to work with them on her new short film project.

I work live sound and have done for some years, often in studios too and I've started doing a bit of teaching on the side at a local music tech college. I feel well versed with working with people in all different environments. I find people, especially in the creative fields, avoid being bitchy, two faced and generally unpleasant. It seems the creative fields lend themselves to a certain open and friendly honesty for the greater good of the project! Except for this woman! I don't think she can help it, she is just naturally quite vile.

See, I've always liked composing for picture and have done a few bits here and there, I compose music all the time but never really had the chance to snag onto a good little indi film, so when presented with this opportunity by my friend (one of the actors) I thought sure! They've never had a dedicated sound guy and as this film has a good script, good actors and good camera crew. I'd effectively be the missing link in their production. So I said, sure! I'll run the sound no problem, I'll record on set, do the post and do the score... Even come to my studio and do any ADR we might need. 'For free too, don't worry it sounds fun'.

I got the shotgun mic, rycote softie, cables, recorder, train tickets at the ready and headed to the location!

She was nice enough to lend me a room for the night before shooting at her home, which I fully appreciate, we had a few beers and she seemed nice, she's loud and excitable so made for a good drinking buddy. Until a bit later in the night when all she did for an hour was put down my friend both as a person and actor while we sat over coffee and tea!! Now I don't mind if you dislike my friend as an actor or as a person, who am I to care, we can like who like, but to have him feature on your film, tell his friend the sound guy, who you've just met in such a way the night before... yada yada yada. - In short, very un-professional. All of her 'crew' already know each other, so I guess I'm the 'new guy'. But already it's seeming like they're playing 'let's make a movie' rather than actually making a movie.

The next day, on set, she's gone from being good drinking buddy to she's obnoxious, loud, immature, inconsiderate and incredibly un-professional. I was bothered but I just thought, no-no, crack on and for the greater good just record the best sound you can and roll with it until the end of the day.

(Bare in mind she was absolutely insistent she wanted to record standing next to a flipping motorway and next to a noisy factory for two of the scenes which didn't require being next to a motorway or next to a noisy factory... - she has a photography background and made her points as such)

I managed to get good enough sound though, albiet I'm going to be cuddling my lovely friend Izotope RX4 for the post sessions.

The day ended, it was home time and we had a day off before the next shoot so I had time to collate the recordings and send them back via sendspace. I cut all the audio into the scene/take format and named the file accordingly. So scene 1 take 1 would be - Scn 1-1. Scene 8 take 11 would be Scn 8-11. That way she could align all good audio with video as she begins to edit.

She didn't get it... She actually didn't get it... At the start of every scene her assistant said scene 1 take 1 and then said cut when the scene was over. I took that audio and arranged it as such, with the right labels and she said 'I don't get it...?'.

I think what she is planning to do, is splice random chunks from the hours of footage together and expect me to dig through the sound and match it in post?? And then write the music for her...

Anyway, day 2 of the shoot. Pretty much all indoors this time so should be easier. And to be honest, it was. I pointed mic at speaking persons, hit record, jobs a good'un. We had unlimited brews and biscuits, my kinda day. Except for absolutely ****y two faced behavior, fake praise and snarky looks at people when their back was turned. I got by fairly easy.

Until we had to visit her grandma, because her grandma was going to be an extra at a scene next to a main road bus stop (in which her grandma had to speak and I had to pick up her voice chrystal clear. Yes that's right, I had to pick up an 85 year old woman's dialogue, in the rain, in a reflective bus shelter, next to a main road in rush hour) - What the **** is this woman thinking?? she must be nuts... **** sound will ruin your film... You have to work to balance both worlds?? I told her and she just said, just get the best you can... It's only her films credibility which will sink, the bus stop could have been any bus stop...

My last train was 7.30pm, I'd been travelling since 6am. I'm getting tired and I've got to go soon. I told her this and she still wanted to shoot one more scene so we rushed to a field, shot the scene and I went on my merry way, albeit with a rather fake hug and praise moment.

I think the thing that bothers me most is I've basically spent 3 full days, £60+ on travel, carrying all the equipment everywhere. I've introduced her to my boss who is production manager for an incredibly large amount of projects and has networking up to the eyeballs. And yet she just gives me this fake ass, bitchy persona. Her thankyous are always in full caps via text message?

"THANKYOU SO MUCH YOU ARE AMAZING!!! XXXXX"

She also said as a thank you to her crew she would provide beer and catering... Over the three days she got a gregs, tea/biscuits and one beer... ???

I've now got to work with this woman over the next month or so, doing the post and score... An idea which up until a few days ago seemed like a very pleasing one!

Has anyone else had the wonderful opportunity to work with a complete moron such as this lady?

We had unlimited brews and biscuits, my kinda day.

She also said as a thank you to her crew she would provide beer and catering... Over the three days she got a gregs, tea/biscuits and one beer... ???

This appears as a contradiction to me.

I haven't had to deal with that in the film world, but I've had plenty of horrible bosses. Making a film is a stressful thing - it doesn't always bring out the best in people.

But when asking people to work for free I've always felt an obligation to make it fun. If you can't pay them they should enjoy themselves.

Beer and catering usually implies beer and catering! Tea and biscuits, although welcome in all its wonderful forms. Doesn't constitute to the amount of hype she presented me with in the preceding weeks when regarding 'loads of beer and food to say thanks'... If she didn't say that, I still would of came, it's the just, it turned out to be a lie..

The tea and biscuits were a welcome thing and I'm grateful! Who isn't :)

it was your line about having unlimited brews, made it sound like more than one beer.
well maybe i should play up this aspect on my own productions.

I have 5 beers on tap and some liquor at 5 degrees above zero. currently fireball

Chalk it up to a learning experience.

Since you have a bunch of time to go to deal with her, it might be time to sit her down and have "the talk". If that doesn't go well, consider parting ways.

I'm going to take a stab in the dark and guess she's about 23yrs old, yeah? This is pretty typical young 20s behavior. But aside from the snarky demeanor, which is the norm these days, the only one coming across as bitchy here is you, frankly.

You knew it was an unpaid gig up front, but you're now complaining about the travel expenditure after the fact.. I get it, it wasn't what you expected and that's just 'one more thing' but seriously, you are making yourself look like just as much a bitch as her. ;)

Yeah, I don't see what the big deal is. Being a director on a small budget film is stressful as hell. You complaining about it doesn't make you look good. But she probably doesn't even care LOL.

Was it wise of her to be drinking and have everyone else be drinking in the short period of making the movie? Maybe it's okay, but it depends on how much your wits are going to be about while doing so. I worked with a director who smoked a lot of pot on set, which was kind of unprofessional (lol), and he a few mistakes I felt maybe could have been avoided if he was totally sober. Or maybe I am just a prude and it's okay to indulge in things that relax you a little.

I just don't like to it personally while I am working, but I did have one at a night club, while shooting some documentary footage once. That's no big deal.

Yeah, I don't see what the big deal is. Being a director on a small budget film is stressful as hell. You complaining about it doesn't make you look good. But she probably doesn't even care LOL.

Yeah Directing is stressful, and the job requires you to tell people what to do. And I've had plenty of moments where I didn't entertain other people's ideas, but there's no reason act like a prick. I try my very best to make sure people have downtime, and that I do a bit of goofing off with them as well. Keep things friendly.

I also tell people "look... I'm not really a rude person. I'm a really nice guy,... really. But people sometimes think I'm rude. So please don't mind my crass bad manners. It's my parents' fault. You shouldn't hold things against them. Also I'm a foreigner... so things get lost in translation" plus lots of other excuses. And since I'm brown, I find it quite easy to hold white people emotionally hostage. They mean well, and don't want to hurt your feelings. And I use it to my advantage :evil:

All joking aside, yes you need to be able to run your set as a Director. But there's absolutely no reason to treat people poorly. It's just bad people management. And in the end it's bad for the Director in the long run. If I had to create a new team every time I wanted to shoot something, I'd be done.

Edit: Doesn't it look like things are collegial here?... and I did this during a very stressful time when two of the lights went out and some people were fixing it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCuJG85oUZE

Last edited:
Yeah Directing is stressful, and the job requires you to tell people what to do. And I've had plenty of moments where I didn't entertain other people's ideas, but there's no reason act like a prick. I try my very best to make sure people have downtime, and that I do a bit of goofing off with them as well. Keep things friendly.

I also tell people "look... I'm not really a rude person. I'm a really nice guy,... really. But people sometimes think I'm rude. So please don't mind my crass bad manners. It's my parents' fault. You shouldn't hold things against them. Also I'm a foreigner... so things get lost in translation" plus lots of other excuses. And since I'm brown, I find it quite easy to hold white people emotionally hostage. They mean well, and don't want to hurt your feelings. And I use it to my advantage :evil:

All joking aside, yes you need to be able to run your set as a Director. But there's absolutely no reason to treat people poorly. It's just bad people management. And in the end it's bad for the Director in the long run. If I had to create a new team every time I wanted to shoot something, I'd be done.

Edit: Doesn't it look like things are collegial here?... and I did this during a very stressful time when two of the lights went out and some people were fixing it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCuJG85oUZE

I am a firm believer in act first, apologize later.

I have a sports mentality with film. You have to be proactive withe everything. And that leaves zero room for ego. Hurt feelings go away.

This is how I act when I direct (when I am just acting I do whatever I can do to best serve the director's vision). I am overall nice. I like to have a good time on my sets (try to anyway). I joke around. But I am also extremely focused and passionate about this. I am very hard on my crew. Maybe because I am an actor too, but I try to be easy on my performers. Though I will push them further then they have gone before. I see my sets as a NASCAR team. I am the driver/owner. The DP is the crew chief, the AC is the car chief, the rest of the crew is the pit crew, and the other actors and actresses are my teammates. Sometimes there are moments where you raise your voice at your DP to not screw anything up. Sometimes you get upset with your boom operator for screwing up for the 20th time.

Sometimes you are just in a bad mood too. My first day on my last short I feel pretty good But on the second and last day stress and settled in. I am still able to be nice and kinda have fun. But I wasn't in a good mood. It was perfect for my character and I used it in my performance. And as a director it helped a little too (that and because we we're losing so much daylight we had to forgo lunch) because I was blunt when I needed to be. I've read on here some directors have had issues with actors listening to them. I've never had that issue. Part of it is just how I carry myself.

It isn't cool to be a jerk and I am not one. But women like jerks and jerks are respected but they are not weak people. Look at Sean Penn (great actor/writer/director).

I find people, especially in the creative fields, avoid being bitchy, two faced and generally unpleasant.

I can't say that's been my experience. People in the creative fields tend to be just as bitchy and the film world tends to be more bitchy than most others. While the level of bitchiness you've described doesn't seem particularly exceptional, the indiscrete way it was done, does.

With regards to the rest of your complaints, pretty par for the course I'm afraid, especially at the very low budget end of the indie spectrum. As the budget levels get more serious, you'll find a better understanding and implementation of audio workflows. Until then though, it's not realistic to expect a professional approach or appreciation of sound/audio post from people who aren't professionals. In fact, you usually won't even find a basic level of understanding or appreciation of sound because most indie filmmakers generally have a background or primary interest in writing, acting or photography and therefore often don't even think about sound until it's too late to do much about it. Obviously this is a generalisation and there are some exceptions.

G

I am a firm believer in act first, apologize later.

I have a sports mentality with film. You have to be proactive withe everything. And that leaves zero room for ego. Hurt feelings go away.

It isn't cool to be a jerk and I am not one. But women like jerks and jerks are respected but they are not weak people. Look at Sean Penn (great actor/writer/director).

You're not a jerk, you're a dumb ass. Go write some more sex scenes starring you and your actors, Mr. short filmmaker.

I like to act first, never apologize. I find it works for me.

You're not a jerk, you're a dumb ass. Go write some more sex scenes starring you and your actors, Mr. short filmmaker.

I like to act first, never apologize. I find it works for me.

LOL. What I said is a simple tool of life. You can't be weak as a director. I'm not a jerk or a dumbass. I am all about the work.

You know what I like to show strength on the set as a director. Wearing this T shirt..

jeiq4y-i.jpg

Of course, enjoying my morning beverage is impossible without this cup.

il_214x170.786750691_a794.jpg

All of this is a simple reminder about who's in-charge- which is me- plus really it's good for my ego.

This will happen to everyone in the film industry at some point. It's a pain in the ass but just think, everything else you work on will be a walk in the park compared to this. When Me and the rest of the crew ask people to work for free we pay for as much food and drinks as we can. Bearing in mind we are all broke as fuck, we still at least get/make sandwiches for the cast and crew and anything else we can afford. There are some directors who think they already have the right to be an asshole. Stanley kubrick= a nightmare to work for but he earned the right to be a nightmare, he didnt start that way. Directors who are pricks from the get-go will never be successful because nobody will want to work for them for any other reason that to gain experience.

Back