"Found footage" animation?

Has anyone ever seen - or does anyone know of - an animated "found footage" movie?

I know there are quite a few movies in this genre dating back 30+ years, but to my knowledge they are all live-action.

Anyhow, I had an idea for an animated short that would employ this style and it got me thinking whether something like this exists at all.

Neat idea! Lots of places that you could go with that. Closest thing I can think of is some of the "lost classic cartoons" they showed on Animaniacs every once in a while. Cartoon Network had some fantastic "cartoons that didn't make it" filler clips years ago, but those were more unaired pilot than found footage.

Oh, my favorite one is on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrnTZdQVk1M

Last edited:
I don't think the word "footage" can apply to animation by definition.

Right, I agree. But I'm really referring to the overall style or approach.

For instance, the animated film "Surf's Up" was done in documentary style in terms of how the characters were aware of a camera being present.

This would be what initially seems like random or mundane raw "footage" that quickly begins to tell a story.

Last edited:
Neat idea! Lots of places that you could go with that. Closest thing I can think of is some of the "lost classic cartoons" they showed on Animaniacs every once in a while. Cartoon Network had some fantastic "cartoons that didn't make it" filler clips years ago, but those were more unaired pilot than found footage.

Thanks, Josh! Might just have to look into those! :)

Back