Alternative ways to show your movie?

For my private screenings, I'm gonna try a warehouse tour. What would you say would be the best screen to show a dvd projector on. Obviously, something portable. I would have to experiment on where to place speakers and what not. Thanks. trailer~https://vimeo.com/41314012 password:conroygetz

trailer isn't the final copy. just quicky.

I'm gonna try a warehouse tour.

There's a really interesting thread on the forums about a fellow who put on a national tour of his film, and spent about a year on the road. It just recently ended, with a quite sad summary. I don't recall the name of him (or his film) - just mentioning it, as someone here will recall it. Directorik & Sonnyboo had lots of input in it. At any rate... read it. :cool:

There's a really interesting thread on the forums about a fellow who put on a national tour of his film, and spent about a year on the road. It just recently ended, with a quite sad summary.

cooked-condensed-milk.jpg

Condensed Disaster!

http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=28432

The final (public) chapter to a sad tale
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE4fmFZ2RCM​

Last edited:
I love the idea.

Several years ago I worked with a guy who tried exactly that. Damn
was it difficult. He never got it going because the numbers just didn’t
add up. His plan was kind of a festival - a two or three evening event
in different towns with a feature film and a few short films each night.
Quite different than you and one film.

There are several screens available. Do you want to rent or buy? When
you say portable are you thinking something you can put in your car?
A screen you can transport with a small truck or van? And what size
are you thinking?

The screen and speaker placement is the very least of the issues. There
are so many other challenges you face. But I’ll be glad to answer your
“best screen” question and leave all the other logistics to you.

I've looked into theatres in Jersey to rent for the night. It ranges from $300 - $800 (somewhere around there) depending on the area.

An idea is to network with other film makers in your surrounding area and split the cost between 3 - 4 film makers. Maybe add some shorts and the cost per film maker would be low. Then give it a name, put a pricetag that won't kill and you could probably get some free publicity with the local papers. At the absolute least, you should get the actors and their friends. From 3 - 6 films, you should at least get your money back, and see what you film looks like on a real screen.

Off topic a little, but boy this reminds me of how much I really need a dedicated producer.

The reason I say that is after a film is finished and I screen it for an audience I basically forget about it and don't care about it any more. The thought of traveling around flogging a film I completed six months or a year ago, to me, sounds like worse than water boarding. Once a film is finished I'd just as soon never watch it or think about it ever again.

I am NOT saying this is a good thing, it isn't, it's just something I have a hard time getting past.

I'm totally with Gonzo on this one! It seems like if you're spending all this time and money pushing your last project you don't have anything left for your next movie. I've thought about "four walling" it before but then rational thought takes over and I realize the people that own theaters and run them 7 days a week know WAY more about what gets butts into seats then me. They aren't running small films with no name actors cause they realize that very few people will get off the internet to spend gas money/babysitter pay on coming to a showing of some movie from some dude or dudette they never heard of.
However, if there's a super clever social media campaign maybe a group can be formed that would show up like a "flash mob" of viewers. Who knows.
Best of luck with the screening!

Off topic a little, but boy this reminds me of how much I really need a dedicated producer.

The reason I say that is after a film is finished and I screen it for an audience I basically forget about it and don't care about it any more. The thought of traveling around flogging a film I completed six months or a year ago, to me, sounds like worse than water boarding. Once a film is finished I'd just as soon never watch it or think about it ever again.

I am NOT saying this is a good thing, it isn't, it's just something I have a hard time getting past.

It's because at heart I (and maybe "we" Finders) are not producers. I have to pretend to be one because nobody else wants to do the job for free, but I suck at it. All that stuff does is bleed energy away from where it should be, on the content. That is my passion and where my talent (what little I have) lies. Hiring, firing, project managing, marketing, promoting, etc... I find totally horrible and soul sucking.

Ironically Gonzo, I produced a feature several years before I directed one. Even as a "producer" to become the "distributor" is taxing. You want to "produce" a movie then go on to your next project. Renting a bunch or theaters/venues and buying ads to promote screenings seems like a good way to go bankrupt and not have resources to make another movie. I'm sure there are a few clever filmmakers that found a way to make a profit from their own screenings. I'd love to hear how they do it. :)

It's because at heart I (and maybe "we" Finders) are not producers. I have to pretend to be one because nobody else wants to do the job for free, but I suck at it. All that stuff does is bleed energy away from where it should be, on the content. That is my passion and where my talent (what little I have) lies. Hiring, firing, project managing, marketing, promoting, etc... I find totally horrible and soul sucking.

Wow. This is not being typed by anyone associated to this movie.

My film will be done editing by June 16th. Cast & crew screening June 19th.

Free wall + $500 portable DVD projector+ $500 intangibles=$1000

$10 a man, BYOB, and a lawn chair. I have lots of friends and the cast and crew too.

Find the biggest free wall. You'd have an inpartial screening of the movie to get proper feedback.

Sounds like a party. Grab my projector, adios. Tomorrow go to the next free wall.

www.facebook.com/theluckyonez

inproper, not being submitted, but fun trailer. https://vimeo.com/41314012 password: conroygetz

Yeah, so we get a little off-track... still...

Find the biggest free wall. You'd have an inpartial screening of the movie to get proper feedback.

Sounds like a party. Grab my projector, adios. Tomorrow go to the next free wall.

How do you organise your audience in advance? You need to be selling more in tix than you spend on everything each day, on a tour. How do people know where to be?

This is totally something I could never do. I love stories about people doing it, though. :cool:

I stopped formally four walling locally because of the cost. The "art" theater in town that will actually rent you a screen wants about $800 for a Tuesday night at 10:00 PM (triple that for a prime Saturday Sunday slot), plus a million dollar liability policy (about $250 for the day), then they take $1 off the top of each ticket. I four walled the island there and I think my break even point was bout 100 people. Way too much work for limited potential reward.

Sorry to get off topic, but I just got done reading through the various threads started by Gratwick Films (a.k.a Kris Hulbert, the guy in the video above...)

I wanted to know, can we get the ban on him lifted? Because that was some of the most entertaining reading I've come across on a message board in a long time. Incredibly dramatic! As long as you're not involved in the discussion, it's a great read! Let's get him back here!! :P

You must love great FICTION! :lol:
Sorry to get off topic, but I just got done reading through the various threads started by Gratwick Films (a.k.a Kris Hulbert, the guy in the video above...)

I wanted to know, can we get the ban on him lifted? Because that was some of the most entertaining reading I've come across on a message board in a long time. Incredibly dramatic! As long as you're not involved in the discussion, it's a great read! Let's get him back here!! :P

Back