Home

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Making The Film > Newbies

Old 08-09-2011, 11:07 AM   #1
Amogh
Basic Member

How can a non resident American become a director in Hollywood?

Hello Guys/ Girls

This is Amogh from India, and I have a die hard passion for film writing and directing. Over the year I have studied a lot of literature on Film making, screenwriting etc., I've involved myself in scanning all the forums, browsing the websites and looking for film making DVD's in the libraries. After getting bored of just thinking and reading, I made my mind to start my career right now... Hence recently I completed writing a script for my short film, and it took about five drafts. Now that I'm satisfied with the material, I'm grouping with my friends to shoot it. I know that short film is only for the sake of getting noticed, and can anyone suggest me the right place to display my short?

By the way that wasn't my purpose to post this thread. Within a year or two, I'll complete my Technical education. I have plans of moving to Hollywood right away, but I need some advise. I need some guidance. I know, I can understand the intensity of competition going on for the spotlight, I also know that whatever I do, I will have to start at the bottom... Guys/ Girls I'm willing to take anything, and by the virtue of bad luck if I can't make it, I'm prepared to be satisfied with whatever I get... And moreover I'm confident, I'm not afraid... But what I'm worried about is, Let me put it like this...

Imagine, After all the struggling and reverie, I raise money to travel all the way to Hollywood, well prepared, in order to realize my dreams, Fine. I get down at the airport, full of rapture, looking at the bright colors of the totally different world. Very fine. But what's next? Where should I go? Should I stay back at the LA airport? No I can't, that's not the way! But there is a way... and some one please tell me what next?

Should I go to a restaurant to land a job? Where should I stay after having found a job? And whom should I contact first to start an Indie project? Please help me guys/girls...

Last edited by Amogh; 08-09-2011 at 11:10 AM.
Amogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 08-09-2011, 12:10 PM   #2
trueindie
Basic - Premiere Expired

Hey welcome. You tell me how someone in America becomes a director in Hollywood, and I'll telly you how to do it from India
trueindie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:25 PM   #3
Dreadylocks
Basic - Premiere Expired

Do you already have a job or family member here to sponsor your work visa? If not, there is a 99.9% chance you won't get a visa to work here.

Welcome to the boards!
Dreadylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:49 PM   #4
dlevanchuk
Basic - Premiere Expired

Depends on your visa.

If you re coming to US on visiting visa, you won't be able to work (legally).

On job related visa u ll have to find an US employeer, who is willing to hire you. But you ll be working LOT and won't have much time on filmmaking. And by employer I don't mean a restaurant or coffee shop. I mean big corporations, like microsoft, boeing etc..

In other words, if u want to come to us to shoot movies in holywood ~ the reality is that u ll have to spend about several years just to settle your immigrations.. took me almost 12 years I'm an imigrant from russia, and moved to US at 12... I just got my citizenship in january of 2011 (woot!)

Good luck
dlevanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:01 PM   #5
Dreadylocks
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlevanchuk View Post
I just got my citizenship in january of 2011 (woot!)
Congratulations fellow citizen! That is a real accomplishment (no sarcasm at all)! I bet you're pretty excited to be able to vote after all this time
Dreadylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:07 PM   #6
Murdock
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlevanchuk View Post
Depends on your visa.

If you re coming to US on visiting visa, you won't be able to work (legally).

On job related visa u ll have to find an US employeer, who is willing to hire you. But you ll be working LOT and won't have much time on filmmaking. And by employer I don't mean a restaurant or coffee shop. I mean big corporations, like microsoft, boeing etc..

In other words, if u want to come to us to shoot movies in holywood ~ the reality is that u ll have to spend about several years just to settle your immigrations.. took me almost 12 years I'm an imigrant from russia, and moved to US at 12... I just got my citizenship in january of 2011 (woot!)

Good luck
Congrats man!! My wife is getting ready to take her test.
Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:28 PM   #7
dlevanchuk
Basic - Premiere Expired

Thank you , d and m! It was real accomplishment, no joke lol I think I lost 10 years due to stress haha

Actual Interview/Test was realively easy and pain free. But the process of getting citizenship interview - too long, too expensive and too hectic (lots and lots of paperwork, from both countries)

To op: Just the process of settling in america is difficult enough, no need to pile up hollywood madness on top of it
dlevanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:03 PM   #8
Utopia
Basic Member

Ever heard of Baliwood?

Utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:12 PM   #9
that1guyy
Basic Member

I don't know if ROC is trying to be clever or something, but while you're waiting for a visa, try to make an authentic Indian Bollywood movie, singing and dancing and all. I love those!
that1guyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:23 PM   #10
Utopia
Basic Member

Well, apparently Bollywood was going to be bigger than Hollywood and that's why Spielberg signed that contract...?

Or did that go by the wayside? I haven't heard anything more than that.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:26 PM   #11
Ernest Worthing
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROC View Post
Well, apparently Bollywood was going to be bigger than Hollywood and that's why Spielberg signed that contract...?

Or did that go by the wayside? I haven't heard anything more than that.
Which contract is that? I missed it.

I think Bollywood produces 3 times the movies Hollywood does per year.

PS

I just remembered. Did i ever reply to ur PM abt lenses/film look? Cant remember if i did and there is no sent folder in PM's to check.
Ernest Worthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:35 PM   #12
Utopia
Basic Member

Yeah you did!

Check this out:

http://www.time.com/time/arts/articl...817222,00.html
Old 08-09-2011, 05:37 PM   #13
rayw
Basic Member

Since there's plenty of people in America that can't direct for shi.... nothing and make it The 'Wood I'd wager you're best off making indie film products locally until it generates appreciable revenue.

I WOULD NOT go all the way to anywhere, let alone another planet/country, get a cr@p job waiting cliche tables while rounding up an indie crew to make a scene.
That'd be crazy.

India's got plenty of business opportunities, a lot of social stratification impediments too, I hear, but there's no magical anything in the States that can't be done anywhere with regular electricity.

Might be better off going to Australia or New Zealand, both counties have fine film industries.
Would certainly save a bit, I imagine. Apply the savings toward your first projects.

GL!
rayw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:38 PM   #14
Ernest Worthing
Basic - Premiere Expired

Interesting. Wonder what happened.
Ernest Worthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:05 PM   #15
directorik
IndieTalk's Resident Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amogh View Post
I know that short film is only for the sake of getting noticed, and can anyone suggest me the right place to display my short?
One short is nice. Three is better. Three short films and a feature
is even better. The place to display your short is in film festivals.
First in your native country then internationally.

Quote:
Should I go to a restaurant to land a job?
That's a fine place to start.

Quote:
Where should I stay after having found a job?
You should stay where every you can. Most people find another person
to be their roommate to share expenses and rent an apartment as close
to their job as they can.

Quote:
And whom should I contact first to start an Indie project? Please help me guys/girls...
You would contact producers, agents, fellow directors and even just friends
to help you.
directorik is offline   Reply With Quote