• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Need Suggestions for 1080p-2K @ 60p Progressive Movie Camera

Hello!

This summer I will be filming my movie, "A Thousand Miles Away", and I have been trying to find a suitable camera to rent for the movie.

I am planning on distributing this movie in theaters, but after hours of googling I am unable to come up with the requirements or recommended resolutions or formats.

Anyhow, I am going to be renting a camera and I am not sure what is suitable for a movie. I need at least 1080p, I would perfer it saves in the Apple ProRes format, and would love if it can shoot at 60fps.

So in summary a couple quick questions:

What is the usual resolution of a regular movie theatre? (2K?)

Any suggestions on a good camera that takes 1080p at 60p? (With ProRes or another High Bitrate format?)

Thanks so much,
Reed Mayhew. CEO of Chicken Joe Acting Group.

What is the usual resolution of a regular movie theatre? (2K?)

Cinemas usually project in 2k, 4k (imax 5k) and 35mm. I don't know the exact ratio, but my approximation, only about 35% of screens have been converted over to digital (that's only a vague guess and I have no way to back up those numbers) so you may also need to consider 35mm in there.

I also want the 60p because I am toying with the idea of editing my movie to the new HFR (High Frame Rate - 48p) standard (which The Hobbit is using) because 5-10 years from now that will probably become a standard.

That's still a matter of opinion. While the hobbit is in some places being shown in 48fps, James Cameron is (from what I've read) doing Avatar 2 in 60fps and pushing that to be the next optional standard.

On top of that, if any cinema that has already invested in a DCT system cannot upgrade their firmware to accept the higher frame rates, do you really see them making an additional investment to replace their current digital systems in the near future?

Is their any possible way I can get a decent camcorder that will take 1080p 24fps? I'm not aware of 1080p camcorders that have a nice lens that are under $1000. I've heard of huge success stories of people just using their dslr cameras at 1080p because it has a nice lens. Would this work?

You could I suppose, but the question really should be, should you? If your plans are for a self funded 4 wall limited release, then I say sure go for it. Keep costs down and learn along the way. It's not going to look great, your options are probably going to be limited, but if you make a great movie you can make a killing in the home entertainment market. If you're planning on a tentpole blockbuster and you're planning on going to ask a distributor to spend tens of millions on advertising for a wide theatrical release, do you think shooting on a camcorder is your smartest option?

Good luck with your movie. Don't worry about the naysayers. Follow your dreams and remember us little people when you make it.

Cinemas usually project in 2k, 4k (imax 5k) and 35mm. I don't know the exact ratio, but my approximation, only about 35% of screens have been converted over to digital (that's only a vague guess and I have no way to back up those numbers) so you may also need to consider 35mm in there.
Nah, it's a lot more. Some festivals still project in 35mm and even 16mm.

My advice would be shoot as much as you can with whatever you have, at least for now. Don't look at any one movie as the be all/end all. This won't be your last movie, so it's really a stepping stone. It's a way to learn and have fun and make mistakes and make good things. It's great to have high hopes, but just stay realistic - IMO, until you're at a certain level, getting major distribution etc. should be seen as an amazing bonus, rather than the sole reason for making a film. Focus on making a great film first and foremost.

Last edited:
Thanks so much Sweetie and jax_rox!

I am going to see what I can do... This is probably going to end up being just a digital release. So I've kind of dropped the theater part. I just wanted to be at the standard for it just incase.

Anyways I'm doing my best to make what I have work. Being a Teenager I'm naturally broke (haha) and I have 7 months to come up with $750 dollars!

Right now I have a crummy point and shoot that I usually use, it's "1080p" but at 4mbps. BLECH! Lol

So that's why I'm very desperate for a better camera!

Thanks for all your support! I'm gonna see if an Adult friend has a camera that I might be able to use. I got the computers and software already down.

If you're looking at Bluray 1080p is what you'll want. If you're only looking at DVD 720p will suffice.

Learn and have fun. I suggest you make a great and fun story. While this one might not be your pot of gold, if you're that good, your future will look bright!

Good luck, have fun. Feel free to ask more questions here. Even the stupid ones.

Back