Make Up for film/photography?

I am filmmaker/photographer.
I would like to learn some basic stuff about make -up for photography or movies.
Something that will be sufficient enough that I can get away with it when I work on some small jobs with not enough budget for a make-up artist.
Just basic stuff something that one photographer of DP/director should know about make-up.
How to improve the look with simple solution, cleaning the skin or make people younger or older, basik rules and knowledge.
Any suggestion about books and web sites or some other solutions?
TIA

No book suggestions, but there are always trainee make up artists looking to get experience. Find out which college near to you does make up courses for Film and TV.

Call beauty schools, and talk to the manager. Tell them you are looking for an advanced hair and make-up student who is looking for TV/movie experience. You can get someone who knows what their doing, with a kit, for free. You'll just have to pay a kit rental (the make-up they use, etc.)

edit: oops, Clive said something similar. :)

Just one other thing occurred to me, different formats require different make up approaches, even some of the professional TV make-up artists get caught out. When you do find someone, get them to make up one of the female cast and one of the male cast. Light them and them shoot some test footage. The thing to watch for, is your male actor, you maybe able to see powder residue on the close ups and if she's used a brown lipstick for the guys (most make artists used to for film) it maybe obvious. With most video formats, less is more, the higher the resolution, the more true that becomes. The formats you need to be most careful with are digi-beta (i've seen more make artists mess up on that format, than any other) where the saturated colours tend to make the yellows in dusting powder stand out and High Def which just has such incredible resolution.

Last edited:
I'm a photographer too (still photographer)
You can change the shape of the face easily with blush, And to make someone look older just put some eyeshadow under their eyes, and maybe a line from the corner of the mouth down to the chin (like one line on either side) and blend really well. You can also use lighting to bring out flaws.

To make someone look better, make sure you've got a really good make up. Don't get anything like cover girl, go for the expensive stuff, it will be worth it. I like to use L'Oreal True Blend, it looks good on skin. Some cover up's are really obvious.

If your shooting in black and white, avoid using metalic, shimmer, or gloss make-ups. Use matte colours, and be more aware of tone than colour. For example, a light pink lipstick may look good in colour, but will come out the same tone as the skin in B&W. Same with red, it will turn out black. you can really use blush to shape a persons face more in B&W. If they have a very long face, try putting some blush on the hairline to make it look shorter.

Back