Childhood actor syndrome

I work in one of the worst environments known in the Western World. It’s even worse than a boring office job. It’s a retail profession. Literally, I’m a modern day slave in this second gilded age, so every day is deeply painful. I mean, just imagine if all the widgets in our computers had feelings. That’s exactly what it’s like in all the major stores you frequent. Every time you move an item or misplace it, every time you spill something, and every time you leave a cart in a random isle someone has to be there to clean it up.

But most people on average don’t give a fuck, especially since the people who helped them were rude and inconsiderate. Your average shopper isn’t aware of the amount of work it takes to run a store so they chalk the nasty attitude up to being upset by having empty lives that are full of purposelessness. They think that’s why most of them are rude because they don’t have dreams. And, we all know how important dreaming is. It’s a path that leads to personal fulfillment. It’s hope. It’s everything. But, most retail workers do have dreams. They’re just pissed because of the harsh working conditions and their struggle to realize whatever purpose they’ve created for themselves.

Many are from the lower and middle class, ranging from poor veteran retail workers to poor college kids. Then on the fringes, you have the struggling artists or the people who are over qualified and in between careers.
Needless to say, the retail force is a pretty eclectic group but if there’s one thing most of them have in common it’s that they’re going through their trials and tribulations from point A to Z. They’re experiencing this “uphill battle” towards something greater. It’s an ongoing war to reach some grand goal, whether it’s clear and concrete or vague and uncertain. It’s a narrative with a happy ending.

These people grew up and continue to live with this experience. But, what if they didn’t? What if they became the best at something at a young age? What if they fulfilled their goals at 5 or 6? If everything they ever wanted was realized from the get go…well, where would they go from there? What would they do? I don’t think they’d be working in retail but, I don’t think a lot of them would actually live well, either.

I mean, just look at all the childhood actors. There’s Justin Bieber, Lindsay Lohan, Brittney Spears, Miley Cyrus, Amanda Bynes, Macaulay Culkin, you name it. There are so many kids who grew up in fame, they never went through that journey of their own. There was never any search for one’s sense of self. Many of them were pushed by obsessive parents who would do whatever it took to ensure their child’s fame. And when they became famous, they were given everything. Suddenly there’s no need for a purpose, so life becomes confusing and boring.

That’s why they do so many crazy things because they’re on the outside of that common experience most of go through. For many young successful people there’s no longer anything left to do so they often seek excitement like a drug and even go so far as to take drugs just to kill the boredom.

Not to generalize and say that all childhood actors hit rock bottom. There’s Leonardo DiCaprio, Ryan Gosling, Elijah Wood, Kerstan Dunts, and many more. However, given the substantial number of childhood actors who do go bad, it’s interesting to see how the absence of having something to strive can have lasting psychological effects.

So next time you read a gossip article about a childhood actor having a mental breakdown just remember how important it really is to have a goal to reach.

For many young successful people there’s no longer anything left to do so they often seek excitement like a drug and even go so far as to take drugs just to kill the boredom.

Sorry but this part was really funny :lol:

Having tons of free time, fame, and tons of money is the issue for anyone - it has nothing to do with being a child actor or achieving dreams early.

Maybe, but hasn't it always been the case that "Old Money" was crazier than "New Money"? Also, why was that funny just out of curiosity?

Maybe, but hasn't it always been the case that "Old Money" was crazier than "New Money"? Also, why was that funny just out of curiosity?

"they even go so far as to take drugs" made it sound like it was some exclusive taboo but I think most people have tried drugs at some point in their life. the juxtaposition of an exotic nature contrasted with my commonplace perspective on the subject is where the humor lives.

And yes it makes sense to me that old money would be crazier.

"they even go so far as to take drugs" made it sound like it was some exclusive taboo but I think most people have tried drugs at some point in their life. the juxtaposition of an exotic nature contrasted with my commonplace perspective on the subject is where the humor lives.

And yes it makes sense to me that old money would be crazier.

Ah, yeah good point. I didn't think about that. But, it's actually pretty interesting to find that there are less drug addicts working in retail than I previously thought. At least, in my experience. There were definitely drug users, though. I wonder what the ratio is between users and non-users in the childhood celebrity world?

I think the thing about being a celebrity is people are always giving you things for free. Meals, rooms, drinks, drugs. Certainly would make it easier if you don't have to seek drugs out and don't have to pay for them.

However, given the substantial number of childhood actors who do go bad, it’s interesting to see how the absence of having something to strive can have lasting psychological effects.
Millions of children around the world suffer from this; the absence
of having something to strive to. Tens (if not hundreds) of thousands
in the US and UK. Not because of fleeting fame, or too much money
or free time but do to poverty, gangs, poor education and broken
families. We don't read or talk about them because we don't watch
them fail. And they never even get to experience fleeting fame and
too much money and indulgence.

They suffer lasting psychological effects.

Millions of children around the world suffer from this; the absence
of having something to strive to. Tens (if not hundreds) of thousands
in the US and UK. Not because of fleeting fame, or too much money
or free time but do to poverty, gangs, poor education and broken
families. We don't read or talk about them because we don't watch
them fail. And they never even get to experience fleeting fame and
too much money and indulgence.

They suffer lasting psychological effects.

Right. I know. But, I was shedding light on why many childhood actors succumb to the same fate even though they're filthy rich. No one's saying it's predominantly rich people who suffer these problems. I'm just saying that this is one of many reasons why a lot of childhood actors go off the deep end.

Definitely agree with your point, sir. It's a sad fact.

No one's saying it's predominantly rich people who suffer these problems. I'm just saying that this is one of many reasons why a lot of childhood actors go off the deep end.
And I didn't suggest anyone was saying that.

I'm just saying that there are many reasons children go off the deep end.
We read about and see child actors but we don't read or hear about the
tens of thousands of other children. It's not that I don't understand what
you're saying - it's that my sympathy is with the unknown, under the radar
kids who have little to strive for.

But I respect you for sticking up for child actors.

And I didn't suggest anyone was saying that.

I'm just saying that there are many reasons children go off the deep end.
We read about and see child actors but we don't read or hear about the
tens of thousands of other children. It's not that I don't understand what
you're saying - it's that my sympathy is with the unknown, under the radar
kids who have little to strive for.

But I respect you for sticking up for child actors.

Well, someone's gotta do it. I'm actually in the process of making a documentary to shed light on this pressing issue. If only we knew how much they struggled...

Childhood fame may be a struggle; however, it is one of choice and not of predetermined circumstances like being born in a 3rd world country. Having extra money and using it on drugs out of boredom is completely different from having very little money and using it to buy drugs that numb the pain. The struggle childhood stars go through later in life is a privileged struggle, and in my humble opinion does not deserve to be on the same tier as those who struggle out of poverty and pain.

Childhood fame may be a struggle; however, it is one of choice and not of predetermined circumstances like being born in a 3rd world country. Having extra money and using it on drugs out of boredom is completely different from having very little money and using it to buy drugs that numb the pain. The struggle childhood stars go through later in life is a privileged struggle, and in my humble opinion does not deserve to be on the same tier as those who struggle out of poverty and pain.

Kind of unfair, given that these people are pushed into this lifestyle as children.

Often starting before they even hit their teens, kids hardly have the capacity to fully understand what they're getting themselves in for. Parents want to profit off their kids. Kids think it'll be cool and fun (stars are made into gods by our media, we are conditioned to worship or to want to be one). By the time someone reaches the age where they could have made a reasonable decision about career choices, they've already had their career determined for them, have begun that downward spiral, and haven't had a real childhood (so they're already fucked up from that regard).

I understand what you're saying, and I do agree that poverty is a more pressing issue (and one that the world seems to care less and less about everyday), but I also think it's unfair to dismiss childhood-actors-gone-bad as a privilege. Although it does make for a very Lynchian, ironic critique of western ideas of privilege :)

I wouldn't say I'm dismissing it by saying it's a privilege. The privilege that these childhood stars receive (whether they want it or not) is still that, a privilege. It's the difference between struggling every day to move upwards, versus struggling every day to deal with already being at the top.

I'm with you WhiteOpus.

No disrespect intended to Firm1 (as I said I respect his concern) but to me it's
not a pressing issue. It's a more public issue; which is unfortunate. But I know
too many child actors who left the business and did just fine. A few don't - no
disagreement there at all. I suppose the doc will focus of the few who have
and are struggling after their brush with fame an wealth.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your progress on this documentary, Firm1.

I wouldn't say I'm dismissing it by saying it's a privilege. The privilege that these childhood stars receive (whether they want it or not) is still that, a privilege. It's the difference between struggling every day to move upwards, versus struggling every day to deal with already being at the top.

But, I don't think poor drug addicts are struggling to move upwards because to say that means that they're trying. I live among poor people because I am poor and most of us aren't struggling with drug addiction. Sure, some of are and they generally become homeless. And those people who struggle with drugs? They're not trying hard enough because they don't love themselves. Sure, there's genetic pre-dispositions (which I have) but in no way does that mean, they're powerless over their addiction. They just don't want it hard enough. So just as much as it is a choice for childhood actors, so too is it a choice for poor people.

But more importantly, I don't give a shit about either side because at the end of the day, I was merely trying to shed light on something that isn't discussed that much. I was just trying to analyze something and express it, not chose sides and say that we need to support all those childhood actors that go off the deep end as opposed to the millions of others who are struggling.

I mean all in all, I just find it fascinating that people so well off and with so many opportunities resort to drugs and absent-minded living. I always used to think it was a poverty issue, like learned-helplessness. But, its so much more complicated than that. Really, its just not having a goal to reach, whatever that goal is.

I'm with you WhiteOpus.

No disrespect intended to Firm1 (as I said I respect his concern) but to me it's
not a pressing issue. It's a more public issue; which is unfortunate. But I know
too many child actors who left the business and did just fine. A few don't - no
disagreement there at all. I suppose the doc will focus of the few who have
and are struggling after their brush with fame an wealth.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your progress on this documentary, Firm1.

lol, I was being sarcastic. And by no means are you disrespecting me. I'm certainly not an activist, especially one that's in favor of people who really don't need a lot of help.

I mean all in all, I just find it fascinating that people so well off and with so many opportunities resort to drugs and absent-minded living.

I have my own opinion on why this happens.
If you're poor and unhappy you can say to yourself.. gee if only I had the money to buy X. If I had the money to get a nicer car, a nicer house, if i had a better job, etc.

It's existential. It's a goal you can set your sights on and work towards.

Now imagine the opposite.
If you're rich and unhappy you can say to yourself.. gee this money has enabled me to follow every whim. I have 20 cars and 3 houses but I still wake up hating my life every day. Holy crap this is hopeless because there is literally no goal left to set for myself, life sucks and there is nothing I can do to make it any better.

Just my take on the subject.

I have my own opinion on why this happens.
If you're poor and unhappy you can say to yourself.. gee if only I had the money to buy X. If I had the money to get a nicer car, a nicer house, if i had a better job, etc.

It's existential. It's a goal you can set your sights on and work towards.

Now imagine the opposite.
If you're rich and unhappy you can say to yourself.. gee this money has enabled me to follow every whim. I have 20 cars and 3 houses but I still wake up hating my life every day. Holy crap this is hopeless because there is literally no goal left to set for myself, life sucks and there is nothing I can do to make it any better.

Just my take on the subject.

Exactly! I'm right there with you.

Firm1, you seem to be making a lot of assumptions, most of which appear based on your personal desires/circumstances. For example:

I work in one of the worst environments known in the Western World.

No, you really don't! There are far worse working environments in the western world than a store, which is a relatively clean, secure and comfortable working environment compared to some. You obviously take this clean, secure, comfortable work environment completely for granted, presumably because it is and has been an expected norm for you, a norm to which you barely give a passing thought. For this reason, you don't appreciate what you have and instead your thoughts are completely dominated by the negative aspects of your work, by what you don't have, by what you want and the difficulty of getting it.

I'm not trying to tell you to stop your bleating because you've actually got it good/easy compared to many, I'm trying to explain that what you're describing is a common human condition, a condition not based on your specific circumstances but based on taking for granted a given norm, thoughts being dominated by the negative aspects of one's work and what one doesn't have and/or wants. This "given norm" is not the same for everyone, in fact, someone else's given norm might be what you dream of but for them it's a given norm and they're just as likely to suffer from this human condition as you are, however inconceivable that might appear to you. Let me illustrate:

And when they became famous, they were given everything.

No they weren't! They may have been given everything you dream of, they may even have been given everything they dreamt of before they were famous but eventually the fame and money becomes their "given norm". Additionally, the realisation of a dream is never quite the same as one expects. Gaining fame and money does not eliminate all the problems and negatives in one's life, it might solve the most immediate issues one faces when one doesn't have fame/money but it replaces those issues with new problems and negatives. For example, a price of fame is the loss of privacy, which doesn't seem like much of a price to pay when one's "given norm" is already a high level of privacy/anonymity. And, it really isn't much of a price to pay, a least to start with (!) but you only really appreciate something you take for granted when you don't have it anymore. Fame is a hell of a lot of fun for a while and a few aspects of it are always fun but long term, the negative aspects of fame are extremely difficult to manage and hugely destructive. IME, every bit as difficult to manage and as destructive (if not more so in some ways) as being a western world retail slave.

What if they became the best at something at a young age? What if they fulfilled their goals at 5 or 6? If everything they ever wanted was realized from the get go…well, where would they go from there? What would they do?

This raises several points:

1. I don't think anyone is ever the best at anything at age 5-6, maybe the best for their age but not the best, period. Even with fame and wealth, at that age there's always somewhere to go, some possible progression, so it's a question of if they want to progress or have the ability to progress rather than a question of not having anywhere to go.

2. What realistic goals can a 5-6 year old have? When I was 5-6, like quite a few of my peers at the time, I wanted to be an astronaut. In retrospect, it wasn't a serious goal because I had no idea what the job of astronaut really was. I thought it would be great fun to pilot space rockets but of course only a miniscule fraction of even a hugely successful astronaut's life is spent actually piloting space rockets. The same is true, although maybe to a slightly lesser extent, of famous musicians, actors and directors. The reality of the job is a long way from the few positive highlights on which the media like to concentrate.

3. I don't think a 5-6 year old has any idea of what wealth or fame are, most probably they just want some of the benefits of wealth and fame they've seen on TV. For example; popularity, lots of people wanting to see you, help you and/or giving you what you want but they generally have little concept of the meaning and value of money at that age.

4. Famous child actors don't really achieve their status as such. Genetics; appearance, temperament and maybe some natural ability, plus persistent parents generally have more to do with their success than years of dedicated study/work. Becoming a famous child actor is therefore more like something given or even forced on the child rather than a conscious achievement of the child themselves. I'm not saying that many successful child actors have not had to endure some dedicated effort and many discouraging auditions, I'm saying that something which is relatively quick and easy to achieve doesn't feel like much of an achievement, regardless of how difficult others feel that achievement to be.

The privilege that these childhood stars receive (whether they want it or not) is still that, a privilege.

Privilege is a relative term! The OP for example feels "every day is deeply painful" and that he's "a modern day slave" but there are millions of people who would consider him privileged. You are probably not one of those millions and can probably identify to some fairly close degree with the OP because you are similarly privileged by the lucky chance of who your parents are and the country in which you were born/raised. Like the OP, from your viewpoint you don't see yourself as privileged, certainly not in comparison with what you've seen of childhood stars. But, that is 1. Just your perspective and 2. Based on what you've seen/been told of childhood stars rather than on the reality of their long term existence. From their perspective and with their experience of their existence they may feel no more privileged than do you or the OP, and for exactly the same reasons.

It's the difference between struggling every day to move upwards, versus struggling every day to deal with already being at the top.

Again this is just your perspective AND is based on what you imagine "being at the top" is like, rather than the reality. In reality being at the top means not only struggling every day to move upwards the same as everyone else but also having to deal with the expectation of the masses to be some sort of super human.

G

Firm1, you seem to be making a lot of assumptions, most of which appear based on your personal desires/circumstances.

Nothing to add to that epic post but: bravo! :yes: Nails this bizarre thread completely. When I read the first lines of the OP I never would have thought it was actually meant to be taken seriously.

Back