Bypass the managers and agents?

I've been trying to get a hold of Lisa Loeb for about a year and can't get past the gatekeeper/s (her agent and manager). Really, all I want to do is have her READ my screenplay. I think she would be perfect for this role (and then, if she were attached ... I might get financing or at least interest from a production company).

So ... YouTube to the rescue (again).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T6POTpwiPw

I'll let you know if this works! :)

From what I've been told (my an agents assistant) is that they won't take any script seriously unless there is a pricetag for the actor/actress if they take the role. They like numbers.

Yeah. Money talks. I know this. Tried to cast a few other scripts (to attach and actor to other projects) and they won't put it into the actors hands without A) getting paid themselves; B) knowing the project can pay the actor. Makes sense really.

Needless to say ... this project is under-funded.

Really, all I want to do is have her READ my screenplay.
Aye, that's the rub, isn't it? And so do dozens and maybe even hundreds of independent filmmakers. It makes the gatekeepers job harder. As I'm sure you know, there are a lot of really terrible scripts out there - scripts that writers think are brilliant. To read each screenplay that comes across the desk is a full time job - sometimes for several people. An actor needs to prioritize. She will read the scripts that come with firm offers first.
I think she would be perfect for this role (and then, if she were attached ... I might get financing or at least interest from a production company).
Which then makes her a partner in your production. Excellent for you, but is it to her advantage to sign on to an unfinanced project? What if her name doesn't get the project financed or get interested from a prodCo?

Just playing devils advocate. Sometimes it helps to look at it from the other POV. I hope your plan works!

Hi Man

A couple of things hit me about this situation. The first one is a question, one that we all need to ask ourselves before getting our stuff out into the world, and that question is -- Is the script ready to be shown?

This is important because if you're going in without any money the script is your leverage -- in which case the script has to be damn near the best thing ever written.

Now, as a writer I'm painfully aware that I'm not the best judge of whether my script is ready and that I need outside help with it. In fact a sent a script to Rik about eighteen months ago, which with hindsight was at least two drafts away from being showable. Sorry Rik :blush:

I guess what I'm saying is that your problem getting past the agent maybe that the script isn't ready -- and if they've already seen a version that's not quite there yet, that door maybe closed to you.

The next thing that occurs to me is that if the script really is that good, you could just put it out into the marketplace as a spec -- get it into the hands of a production company who have enough money to be able to go to her with an offer, get paid for the script and also build a reputation within the industry as a writer. All of which would increase your chances of getting your next film financed.

And finally, it could be that at this point in her career she is only looking at studio offers -- Rik's right, an actor who attaches their name to a script which then doesn’t achieve finance harms their own career -- any agent is going to be aware of that.

So, if she's not up for it, then maybe you should be looking at people for whom it WOULD be the perfect product.

Assuming the script is great I think there are three categories of actor worth looking at:

1) Huge stars who do well by turning out dross, but who really want to be taken seriously as actors (Tom Cruise is an example of this kind of person -- he's big enough to be able to pretty much guarantee investment, and at the same time strikes me as a guy for whom the project is now more important than anything else)
2) TV actors who haven't made the flip into film yet, and whose series recently got canned (I've had success in this category and as names they are very bankable)
and
3) Actors who already have a rep of using their Hollywood money to finance indie projects (Steve Busemi, for instance)

Now I know that neither Tom or Steve are what you're are looking for, but with a little research you can probably find half a dozen women who would be perfect for your project.

Hope this helps -- and if you're unsure about the script send me a copy and I'll do you a free script report.

Clive,

I think I did send it to you ("In Love and Decay")? Let me know. You mentioned being busy and would read it when you could (and thanks for the offer).

I totally agree with all of your input. Again, my goal here is less to MAKE the movie (Produce/Direct) than to have Lisa read the script and hope she had interest (then anyone else could take over from there). The story has been in my head for over 20 years and this year I finally wrote it (the original inspiration for it was Nick Lowe's "Pinker and Prouder than Previous" album).

Also, I think I could produce this for under a million bucks (and that's a SMALL price tag ... even for Steve Buscemi).

I think I did send it to you ("In Love and Decay")? Let me know. You mentioned being busy and would read it when you could (and thanks for the offer).

Things have been slightly insane here -- I had to delete a huge number of emails, after my system choked -- PM me and I'll give you a different e-mail address -- if you don't mind, send it again.

I'll make time.

Clive

Last edited:
you can

Alphie--

Don't dispare. It can happen.

I have a positive exerience about it, albeit it was for a short film.

The script was good enough to move itself around and it happen in the hand of a good actor, bypassing the manager and agent.

He ended up being in my short film.

Have a look a the Trailer

Great trailer!

There's a difference in approaching a good actor and approaching a famous actor. A good actor who hasn't reached that place where their name or face can get a movie financed is pretty easy to find. The problem is getting ahold of that actor that could possibly bring financing to the table.

A good actor who hasn't reached that place where their name or face can get a movie financed is pretty easy to find. The problem is getting ahold of that actor that could possibly bring financing to the table.

I completely agree -- it's a whole different league in terms of how it's pitched and the quality of the screenplay needed.

That's not to say it's impossible -- just that means KNOWING without a doubt that your screenplay is going to be the best thing they've ever read. And, the only way to know that, is for it to have been in the hands of people who already operate at that level and for them to be excited about it. This isn't an area where you can rely on your own judgement.

Directorik,

I COMPLETELY agree with you and Clive.

Alphie is talking about Lisa Loeb. Not Scarlett Johansson. He should have NO PROBLEM approaching Lisa Loeb.

Alphie, I applaude any creative solution you can come up with. In fact, I KNOW you will be able to reach her.

Where there's a will there's way.

I agree with vstm. She's a low key music industry person who's got a little TV show deal to gain exposure- she also seems pretty down to Earth, and you never know when you'll peak someone's interest. If all actors picked projects like the likes of Depp and Murray, we'd have more quality movies. Who knows? Good luck!

Alphie is talking about Lisa Loeb. Not Scarlett Johansson. He should have NO PROBLEM approaching Lisa Loeb.
She's a low key music industry person who's got a little TV show deal to gain exposure

You can get people on side -- but to do it you have to think like an agent, not like a indie film maker.

At this point in her career, if her intention is to break into films (big IF), then she'll have to be ultra careful about which projects she picks. The wrong, low budget indie film could sink any acting aspirations that she has. She is vulnerable within the industry right now.

If I was her agent I'd be waiting for the right supporting role in a studio picture -- something that would give her exposure and leverage. I certainly wouldn't let her any where near a project where her name was the key to getting finance on board -- because as Rik said earlier, if it doesn't get greenlighted then her value goes down in the eyes of the industry -- or even worse, if it does get made and doesn't do business, then she's finished.

In lots of respects Scarlet Johansson would be an easier pitch at this point in time -- she's got marquee value and a rep for taking on indie projects -- my guess is that she and her agent are always actively looking for the next great script.

Back