Venture Capital

Has anyone had experience funding their films through Venture Capital? Is this a good avenue to take to fund higher budgeted films? Thoughts? Comments?

My experience with VC money is that these types of investors are VERY careful with their money (which is why they can be part of a VC fund in the first place). The ROI on any movie is way too risky. We financed ours through private "millionaires" and the VC people we asked basically looked along from the sidelines with a smirk.

So far they're being proven smart by NOT investing!

I'd much rather go through private investors but the problem is I don't know anyone that is a milionaire. (I don't know anyone that makes over $70,000 a year come to think of it.) I'm hoping my next project is unique enough (and not that expensive considering...) that a VC will take the risk.

Unless someone can recommend a millionaire or two? :)

Funny thing about all this. When (if) my movie sold for, at this point, a very modest amount ... I have REAL potential of doubling my investor's money. IF that ever happened ... getting them to pony up a half million would be a piece of cake. UNTIL my movie sells however ... I'm hiding behind the couch whenever there's a knock on the door!

Tell you what ... but the rights to my movie and I'll hook you up with some money people!

My experience with venture capital has been the same as Alphie. They are way to careful with their investments. The statistics show most independent movies don't make a profit - even very unique ones.

Can't hurt to try. Sometimes a discussion with one group can turn into a contact with someone else.

If in Hollywood come see "dark crimes" at the Chinese Theater on October 7.
http://www.magicalfilmfest.com/
See the TRAILER

Back