Storing and Organizing Your Stuff

Since I have to put most of my stuff in storage so that workmen can make necessary repairs to my old place, I am thinking that my production stuff needs to be better organized when I will be bringing it back in. Idealistically a warehouse would be the best way to organize a collection of computers, software, training material, cameras, audio equipment, lights, props, and crafting tools for the trade. I am sure I am not alone not being able to afford warehouse space or permanent storage places. I will most likely keep some of the moving boxes from the storage place to keep my gear, tools, and props together.

Does anyone have any tips or best practices on the best way to organize your stuff where your flat or house looks tidy and neat?

Lots and lots of stackable storage crates. As you may remember, my studio was flooded back in 2007. I am now highly organized so I can get as much as I can out as fast as possible.

I now have everything in labeled crates with enough extra room to hold what I am currently using. I can have all of the really crucial stuff (drives, computer, mics, interfaces, racks and audio monitors [in that order]) out in under 20 minutes in extremis. Otherwise, I can get all the gear & accessories and other important items packed and out in about six to eight hours. The Foley props and the couch have to fend for themselves. I then pile sandbags around the windows & cellar door - and pray.

Anyway, the point is to be highly organized. I use crates like this in various sizes and put big labels on all four sides.

14406-iris-68-quart-storage-boxes-68-qt-clear-stackable-plastic-containers_1_375.jpg

I still have the original boxes (with foam) for some of my gear, or it's in a rack or has a case, so everything is protected. Heavy stuff like audio snakes go into good old fashioned milk crates. If I need to find something while awaiting the floodwaters to recede it's fairly easy, just a lot of unstacking and re-stacking.

Now, as to tidy and neat...

Back