• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch My Only Love - Shot on A7s and Ronin

Nothing comes between a man and his Doritos, or any Doritos for that matter. Shot on the A7s, I really feel like we couldn't have pulled this off without the A7s, with the very limited time we had there was no way we could be rigging and moving lots of lights all the time. But with the A7s we needed only 2 1000W HMIs to lift the light in the room a little and we could shoot the entire commercial between 8000-10000 ISO :)

Camera rigged on a DJI Ronin with a Silencer Trigger Follow Focus attached.

https://crashthesuperbowl.doritos.com/gallery/submission/5211?share=true?share=true

Didn't really have a budget. We had access to a local restaurant for 6 hours for free, then we had to be out of there. We owned all the equipment we used, the extras where friends, the main actor is also my co-director/creator. We borrowed plates from the restaurant and bought microwave meals to put on them. So I guess the budget was about 50$, with sodas, coffe and snacks for the extras included.

Didn't really have a budget. We had access to a local restaurant for 6 hours for free, then we had to be out of there. We owned all the equipment we used, the extras where friends, the main actor is also my co-director/creator. We borrowed plates from the restaurant and bought microwave meals to put on them. So I guess the budget was about 50$, with sodas, coffe and snacks for the extras included.

Well... that is brilliant then. For $50, it's absolutely awesome. I was afraid you were going to give me some huge number.

Nicely done.

with the A7s we needed only 2 1000W HMIs to lift the light in the room a little and we could shoot the entire commercial between 8000-10000 ISO :)

Pretty funny and overall, well done.

I'm very interested in this camera, so I'm looking at this more closely, because of how it handles low light. I mean, it shoots in moonlight, for Pete's sake! So, take the following with a grain of salt.... I'm curious if using smaller lights and an even higher ISO would look much better? As it is, it seems like one (or both) HMIs were too close to your main actors, because their faces and her white arms look a little washed out and pasty. I think you should have used a gobo to break up one HMI, or a china ball or shaded lamp by the leads and used the other HMI for the rest fo the restaurant, which looked good. I realize this is "bright" comedy, but I thought that the extras looked more natural than the couple.

Ha! That was fun. The sound design felt a little heavy handed, but makes sense for the context. I liked the cut and the footage. Nice job!

Thank you :)

The 2 HMIs were placed one in each end of the roome to lift the light in an attempt to even it out with the light coming in from the windows covering the wall to the outside. For the close ups one of the HMIs was placed closer to the table and aimed at the actors from the window side, and a bouncer was used on the other side. Both lights had chimera softboxes on.

I agree though that the two main actors are a little too hot, but I think the highlights can be pulled down, we just literally ran out of time for the deadline so we didn't have time to wait for another render if we were gonna make the upload in time :P I'll try and find time to work on the colors tomorrow, see if there is enough information in the highlights and return with screenshots for you Scoopicman to give you some more on the capabilities of the camera. It's a matter of balancing the exposure to not blow anything out and at the same time avoid noise in the image (in SLOG you wanna shoot at between +1.3 - +1.7, which sometimes causes issues.

I'll try and find time to work on the colors tomorrow, see if there is enough information in the highlights and return with screenshots for you Scoopicman to give you some more on the capabilities of the camera. It's a matter of balancing the exposure to not blow anything out and at the same time avoid noise in the image

Thanks, Svenzn. I know that camera has a huge dynamic range, so the color correction should go well - add some warm tone to the skin. Again, the commercial is well done.

Back