• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Critique my short film please? Safe | 6 pages

Hey guys. I'm practicing writing some shorts while I finish up writing a feature. Any and all feedback and criticism is welcome. Need to brush up my skills (including how to write loglines! )

Logline: Power and reception is out at an office as an unknown disaster hits the city in a distance. When the reception is back, one man has to make a difficult choice that could mean life or death.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jgj1mgqm7w2xbsm/Safe.pdf?dl=0

Very nice script I liked it. I can tell you some things I noticed that are not my opinions
but what I learned from analyses on my script from big companies like "PAGE Awards"
and by reading books on screenwriting.
  • Don't put CONTINUED.
  • Separate the action every 3 - 4 rows, not less.
  • It's good to capitalize the names only when you introduce them.
  • Don't put action as parenthetical, write it as action bellow or above the dialog.
    (David taps on the dispenser bottle)
  • Be very careful about the small mistakes: "ALICE puts a her hand...". It is very
    annoying for the reader. The readers in the big companies read hundreds of scripts
    every day and when they see a mistake in the first 6 pages they quickly calculate
    that by the page 120 they will see 20 mistakes and they don't continue reading.

I can tell you my opinion. It's great, the plot flows slowly without exaggerations or
unnecessary hurry. All the scenes make the story go forward. Also, I like some cinematic
things you have like "tapping on the water cooler", or "raising an eyebrow". I think these
shows that you are sure about your story!

There is something I didn't like too much. It is the lie that Alice said about the
conversation with her brother. She worries about David going out so she believes it's
dangerous but she doesn’t care about all the others! Also, maybe I'm wrong,
but I don't get how they have radio signal but not cell phone signal.

Also, there is, in my opinion, a major drawback which destroys everything.
There is no surprise in the end. The end is almost completely without emotions.
It's like having a perfectly arranged watercolor set.. without the painting.
I was waiting for a big surprise at the end, and suddenly I saw the word "END".
If this was the first 6 pages of a full movie then it would be perfect.

I imagined an ending when I was reading it the second time, something like this:
The cell phone signal never comes and David never talks to his wife. Everyone
is very frightened in the office as the dust cloud is getting bigger slowly. Alice says
to everyone that for a moment her signal came and called her brother who told her
that an apartment complex in town has collapsed, but they have to stay inside for
a while because of the huge amount of dust. That calms everyone in the office.
Then Alice and James goes a bit further to talk. When they return the ask where is
David. Jane says he left, he wanted to go to his wife, he said it's just the dust of the
apartment complex, he'll be ok. James and Alice look to each other with faces full of
terror like they are looking at a ghost. Jane asks surprised "what?". Alice says "we
lie just to calm the people. We don't know what is happening out there". The three,
turn frightened and look at the big dust cloud.
Something like that, I don't know...

About the logline. Again, not my opinion but what I have learned.
Logline is not a small description of the movie. It's more of the spontaneous answer to a
friend who asks "what is this movie about?". Also, try to fit always your logline in only one
raw. I've seen a coverage sheet of a big Hollywood studio, not the coverage we pay for, but
the coverage that the reader of the studio gives to the boss to decide whether the studio
will spend money on that script. In that serious sheet, there is only one line for the reader
to write the logline. Not two, not one and a half.

I suggest this logline:
A man confronts an unknown danger outside the window, to go next to his wife.
My english are not good but you get it. You can use better words than "confronts" or
"go next to".

Generally, talking like someone who read your script and imagined the movie, I like the script
and I think you are awesome story thinker and writer. I like that kind of plots! Just add in your
psychology the craving to surprise the shit out of your audience! Now it's like a beautiful cake
with a triangle piece missing.

Thanks for your feedback! Really appreciate it. The continued is auto-formatting by celtx, not sure how to get rid of it.

• Separate the action every 3 - 4 rows, not less.

I don't quite understand this, could you elaborate please?

There is something I didn't like too much. It is the lie that Alice said about the
conversation with her brother. She worries about David going out so she believes it's
dangerous but she doesn’t care about all the others!

Alice isn't a nice person unfortunately, and would rather increase her own chances of surviving.

Also, maybe I'm wrong,
but I don't get how they have radio signal but not cell phone signal.
You have a good point. I'm not 100% sure but i think radio signals and cellphone signals are transmitted from different points. Also AM radiowaves have further reach, so even if the nearest signal tower is for both radio and cellphone, even if its dead AM transmission from a further distance can still be tuned in to.

Also, there is, in my opinion, a major drawback which destroys everything.
There is no surprise in the end. The end is almost completely without emotions.
It's like having a perfectly arranged watercolor set.. without the painting.
I was waiting for a big surprise at the end, and suddenly I saw the word "END".
If this was the first 6 pages of a full movie then it would be perfect.

Haha quite a few people are unhappy with my cliffhanger ending. Mayhap I should make the danger more imminent somehow. I'll take your suggestion into mind if I rewrite it.. Thank you so much for the feedback I appreciate it.

And thanks for the tip on the logline too!

Separate the action every 3 - 4 rows, not less.
I mean don't change line too much, like here:

DAVID is startled by the shouting. He wipes his face and
whips out his phone.

He breathes a sigh of relief as a barrage of notifications
stream into his phone.

He’s had fifty missed calls from LIZ.

He call her. After a few rings she picks up.

you can write it:

DAVID is startled by the shouting. He wipes his face and
whips out his phone. He breathes a sigh of relief as a barrage of
notifications stream into his phone.

He’s had fifty missed calls from LIZ. He call her. After a few
rings she picks up.

It's an example only about the number of the lines, I think you could write it a bit better like:
He’s had fifty missed calls from LIZ. He call her and fter a few
rings she picks up.

Try to make the decision hard for David.

First of all, you have an amazing real name. While reading, I thought you were going to pull off a Belko Experiment. xD Minor errors, nothing really to talk about. But I know some people would take it serious.^^

First of all, you have an amazing real name. While reading, I thought you were going to pull off a Belko Experiment. xD Minor errors, nothing really to talk about. But I know some people would take it serious.^^

Haha thanks. My name is actually pretty normal in my part of the world. Not John Smith generic, but maybe not more unusual than say a Dean Johnson.

I understand, don't see it like this, that's the directors work ;)
Haha, but I am the director too!

This is a nice, well written short. I like the ambiguous ending. You set
up the confusion and tension well. By the way; you are correct about
AM radio.

Your style of a break after each line is acceptable – especially for a
short. You don't need to follow the style of others – only format is
essential and your format is correct. Even when you are directing it's
good overall practice to write as a writer, not a director.

This is a nice, well written short. I like the ambiguous ending. You set
up the confusion and tension well. By the way; you are correct about
AM radio.

Your style of a break after each line is acceptable – especially for a
short. You don't need to follow the style of others – only format is
essential and your format is correct. Even when you are directing it's
good overall practice to write as a writer, not a director.

Thanks for the feedback! Really appreciate it.

What about for feature writing? Is it better to have longer paragraphs?

Thanks for the feedback! Really appreciate it.

What about for feature writing? Is it better to have longer paragraphs?
It does lead to a script with a higher page count.

That style is called "action stacking" - often credited to Walter Hill. About
10 years ago it was gaining acceptance and that "trend" ebbs and flows
as all do. It does make reading more attractive and is "punchy" - something
many readers like. As long as your format is correct and your script is
"readable" then style is a personal choice. Depending on what websites or
books people read their opinions will differ. There is nothing wrong or
unacceptable with action stacking.

Haha, but I am the director too!

Ok, then separate your jobs, when you are writing a script be a Screenwriter ;).
Keep 3-4 lines for each paragraph not less. After that, if you want to direct it,
you can write it differently.

Don't forget that what I'm telling you is from people from inside Hollywood who
reviewed my short script and from deep research I did on how to write screenplays
that Hollywood likes! Nothing of these is my opinion.

Generally, be very very extremely careful about fancy opinions from random people,
always go to see the profiles of people who talk to you.

Back