movies What's the last film you watched? And rate it!

The Founder ****

Bloody loved it. But then, Keaton could be in a white room reading the script from the Phantom Menace and I'd still give it a glowing review.

Seriously though, I thought it was ace.

I have to admit Michael's performance was pretty impressive. I mean it's not better than Birdman or Spotlight but pretty impressive.

My last watch was Message From The King. A Netflix original. I don't watch Netflix stuff but this one caught my attention. Chadwick Boseman's performance was on point all the way. It's not often you see Black Panther, Dr. Octopuss, and Owen Shaw from Fast and Furious 6 in one movie. Great actors man.

The Big Short
8/10
I enjoyed the movie. The narration was fun, Ryan Gosling's character hilarious. It doesn't matter much if you know a lot about finance or not, the movie is not about that. Though I wish the personal life of at least two characters was given more attention because I feel it's strongly connected to the way they did business.

The Big Short
8/10
I enjoyed the movie. The narration was fun, Ryan Gosling's character hilarious. It doesn't matter much if you know a lot about finance or not, the movie is not about that. Though I wish the personal life of at least two characters was given more attention because I feel it's strongly connected to the way they did business.

I'm a big fan of that movie. Might watch it again soon.

Baba Joon, last trailer I saw, but watched full movie before. It is mostly Persian and some Hebrew. That is a my top Persian movie..... From a first work Persian Israeli director, you can never believe he wrote and directed so well for first time.....

Thanks!

I quite liked The Devil's Candy. Grim, but overall a cool film. Recommend.

Spectral is a pretty decent scifi and Netflix original.

He Never Died. Really enjoyed it. Recommend.

Train to Busan. Really good. Recommend.

The Void. Flawed, but a pretty cool Lovecraftian film. Recommend to Lovecraft fans, at least.

The Best Offer. Really liked Geoffry Rush, as usual. But a bit too grim for me.
Very much not a happy ending.

Dark Star, H.R. Giger's World. Very nice. Insperational. Recommend.

The Founder is darn good. Recommend.

Oh.

Fiiiiiiiiiiinalllyyyy saw Perfect Blue. It really is quite good. Recommend. :)

Last edited:
Magnificent Seven (1960 & 2016)
I saw them almost back to back. The 1st one was really fun. I had hopes for the 2nd because its director also did Training Day & The Equalizer (which was actually a decent action film).
But there was no comparison. The 2016 film was less fun, grim, had more explosions & violence. Maybe that's appropriate for times today but man, what a downer after the 1st.

The Thing (1982 & 2011)
Though not as good as the original, the 2011 film is a decent prequel. It suffered from misleading marketing. The poster, trailer, & even a couple of the casting choices make it look like a remake, which probably turned off a lot of people. Decent (digital) effects on the creature, except for the 1st time & last time we see it, which is a shame because they're important moments.
Then I rewatched the original. I forgot how gross it was, but that, as well as its dark humor, is part of its charm.

Watched mother! a few weeks back, thought it was a pretty well-made movie. I don't really get why people said they hated it.

Baby Driver, it was pretty good. I have to admit that I'm not quite sure why most people went so crazy, it was good for sure, just not a masterpiece. I mean the music syncing was done perfectly, but beyond that the film was very.. "meh." It wasn't bad, it was a good action movie with comedic elements, and the music aspect made it good, but it wasn't the most amazing film of the year or anything.

Didn't stop me from being Baby for Halloween... :D

Last week I watched 5 movies.

In Theaters:

The Mummy (2017) - 4/10. (Wasted 2 hours and 10$)

In DVD:

Railroad Tigers (2016) - 6/10 (The only reason I watched this movie is I am a big fan of Jackie Chan)
L'Eclisse (1962) - 9/10 (Beautiful)
Mamma Roma (1962) - 9/10 (Touching)
Monkey Business (1931) - 7/10 (Marx Brother's movie. Hilarious)

Last edited:
First time poster, be gentle please...or don't.

Rear Window: A-
Shutter Island: A (even though the twist had been spoiled for me)
The Foreigner: B-
Blade Runner: 2049: A

Casablanca (1942)

I was at a theater. First time watching this movie. Thank you TMC. First I must say that I knew there was a lot of hype about this movie being a classic. So going into it I expected parts of it to be really good. The story is really a basic love story. A girl falls in love with a man while her husband is gone. That right there reminded me of the countless stories made for TV and film that use the exact same idea. I did like the end of the film and had no idea what might happen. The characters developed more and more as the movie time went forward.

Overall I liked the movie more for it's historical context of filming back then. I also thought the editing was very interesting especially when Ingrid was on screen. This movie is really about heartache. The setting is just a trigger for people to make certain choices. I wasn't surprised by the movie. Instead I was reminded by what the word "typical" can mean.

Overall 7/10

Baby Driver... I have to admit that I'm not quite sure why most people went so crazy, it was good for sure, just not a masterpiece. I mean the music syncing was done perfectly, but beyond that the film was very.. "meh." It wasn't bad, it was a good action movie with comedic elements, and the music aspect made it good, but it wasn't the most amazing film of the year or anything.
I agree, nice style. It does some interesting things, in a way you could call it an action musical.
It would've been better if it took more time to make me feel more for the main characters, instead of rushing to the next musical set piece.
And Don Draper & his girlfriend were a bit unbelievable as crooks, even with his 11:00 shadow & different haircut.

Mudbound - 8/10. A little slow in a few places but excellent overall.

Roman J. Israel, Esq - 7/10. I have a few quibbles with some plot points but Denzel Washington is great and I've really come to appreciate Colin Farrell.

Back