T2i HDMI Question

Does anyone use the T2i (or a DSLR of similar make) and ever used the HDMI output?

If so, do you know if leaving it plugged in will prevent it from dying, even when the battery runs out?

basically, i'd like to use the camera for an extended period of time (way longer than the battery life) without stopping. I can't find info on whether or not HDMI can essentially work as a charger. I know other cameras can be charged via USB and HDMI, but idk if this one can.

Ah, so the question really is, "Can the T2i be externally powered through the HDMI port?"

No, it cannot.

But the AC adapter sfoster linked is a good solution, if you're close enough to shore power.

Thanks guys. I actually found out about the AC adapter almost immediately after posting this question :)

I'm actually intending to use it for livestreaming

Thanks guys. I actually found out about the AC adapter almost immediately after posting this question :)

I'm actually intending to use it for livestreaming

Yesss!! do it!

even if you're only live streaming one episode a week i bet you'll get a lot more views for that live episode than the rest of your days

You are using a DSLR.
There is a mirror between the lens and the sensor that allows you to look through the lens, when you take a picture the mirror moves up and the sensor get exposed at the correct time (thanks to 2 curtains).
When you go the video mode you hear this click: the mirror moves up and light hits the sensor continuously. But after a while, while you are in stand-by mode (not recording), you hear this click again: the mirror moves down and your screen turns black, right?

To save power, the video mode stops after a few minutes unless there is a way to tell the camera to not let the mirror down.

I'll have to test it. I'm pretty sure that can be customized though. Is that what 'mirror locking' does?

Go to your settings menu and set "Auto Power Off" to "OFF". That'll keep the camera from powering down after any idle time.

The only hink is that the LCD will go to sleep after 30 minutes of the camera not being used, even with Auto Power Off disabled. It's been a minute since I've had a T2i, and I can't remember if that drops the mirror or not. There's no way to disable the LCD sleep feature, that I can remember.

Back