• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch The Chase: Short Action Movie

Stopped at 2mins in.

- anyone that aims as poorly as these two characters has no business handling a firearm in public.
- sparks don't fly off of ceramic tiles when struck by bullets, in fact most objects just have holes or dents (when struck at oblique angles) when struck by lead bullets.
- keep working on your After Effects.
- When someone's chasing me with a gun I haul a$$, not jog to the next door. Likewise, the action should be "more actiony."
- the camera movement was largely fine.
- need to white balance each and every time.
- on those high contrast shots (like when the target character was looking down the short hall to the pool room) set your exposure for the primary subject and go ahead and blow-out the bright background. Do the same for interior vehicle shots.
- the setting is fantastic. I hope you get to use that pool/gym location whenever you can.

GL.

Nicely put together. I think you have a firm grounding in cutting sound effects to picture. Everything was pretty well in sync.

Now, I personally think some of the sounds sounded a bit too canned, like the gunshots and footsteps and punches, but I think you did a good job technically cutting it together.

The gunshots, punches sounds a bit off and "the chase" seems a little draggy, but I like the film. KIU!

Just wondering how did you pulled off the scene where the camera is blow and the background is like whirling (1:55) and how did you manage to splatter blood on 3:46. That was slick.

The gunshots, punches sounds a bit off and "the chase" seems a little draggy, but I like the film. KIU!

Just wondering how did you pulled off the scene where the camera is blow and the background is like whirling (1:55)

It looked to me like one of those POV harnesses the guys on the bigfoot and ghost hunting shows use. Either that or maybe he one-handed the camera down low. Pretty interesting.

The MP5 looked like an airsoft gun of some kind. If there would have been falling brass, it would have been more cool. The 1911 looked real but the flash effects looked fake. That's why I used a big revolver for that flash effect in my first short(admittedly amateurish). It will cycle blanks perfectly well and throw a convincing muzzle flash and smoke with every pull of the trigger.

The fight scene was weak but the blood gusher at the end was awesome! :lol:

Thank you all for the comments you provided. I know there are is a lot room for improvements which can be done, and with the practice now and your feedback I think I can do better action short next time :)

For your questions:
- Our main characters have bad aiming, indeed :D. I was worried for the moment on the stairs, because then they are too close one to each other. We had it on our storyboard, but we didn't make it cool because of the lenses we had - we couldn't achieve to "lie" the perspective, so in the post I created the to shoot only 1-2 times. I was able to cut the entire scene, but I prefer to leave it as it is, in order to achieve experience in the editing as well.
- The guns are Airsoft indeed. We have a friend who is really a fan of it, so we borrow them.
- For the whirling background - we used GoPro Hero2, which the actor held on his chest (if you look closely you will see that his right arm is completely still :) ) The other is color correction.
- The blood splattering is created in Adobe After Effects. It is basically a blood splatter pictures put on top created to appear on a certain moment.

Now with the experience gained I think the next fight action sequence will be better. We haven't done rehearsals for this fight scene, we created it in the moment improvising (with thinking for the post after that of course).

Thanks again for your feedback, it is very useful for me :)

I age a lot with what the others have said. In then hand to hand combat fight scene I noticed that there were only sound effects for some of punches.

Nice try with the shot at 0:20, however from my experience they're really only achievable with a steadicam/dolly. In saying this I liked your tracking/dolly shoots down the hallway and at a few various other shots.

One thing I'd also like to point out is that I thought the shot cuts were too slow for an action film. Especially when not much is happening on screen I think the camera needs to cut quicker or have some form of movement. Just to clarify, when I say movement

While it was unexpected and kinda weird, I liked the alternative endings :)

I haven't seen any of your other films I don't think, but good effort on your first action, I look forward to what I see next :)

Back