• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Question about rendering files in Premiere Pro.

For some reason in Premiere Pro lately, if I am editing and I move a video clip, the clip has to be rendered again, in order to play back properly. Everytime I move a clip, even just a little this happens. The rendering can take up to quite a few minutes each time, and I haven't had this problem before.

Any idea what it could be, or is there something I can do to keep the clips rendered, no matter if I move them?

@Sweetie:

I've been using PPro as a professional for 8 years now.
Trust me: it is H44's error.

@H44
Which version?
Do you move a clip or a part of a nested sequence?

Or are there any (heavy) effects on it and you're not using your GPU anymore?
Did you change some settings?
(Somehow you seem to be justclicking around to create problems.)

Or is there another clip with effects below it while you also have transparency keyframes?

I am using Premiere Pro CS5.5. There is another clip below it, since I am fading from one to the other in a certain way. Is that what's causing it? What do you mean by 'transparency keyframes'? I did a test and deleted the clip below, but the clip on top still has to be rendered if moved, no matter if there is a clip below or not.

Last edited:
Now anwser the rest of the questions.
I asked them to serve as a checklist. Not for you to randomly pick one, because that will let info out of the complete picture. (In case you haven't learnt: we need all info to be helpfull.)

Are you cutting a sequence (another timeline with clips) in your timeline?
Or a clip (videofile)?

Any effects?

Did you change hardware settings? (letting the mercury engine use the GPU alows more ealtime stuff)

In other words:
did you change any settings recently that could cause this new problem?

About transparency keyframes:
When you fade you use keyframes to control opacity, right?
Or do you use a crossfade transition? (which does the same without you knowing it :P )

Okay thanks. I didn't randomly pick one, I just picked that one cause it sounded like it could have been the problem. I didn't change any settings that I am aware of, that could have caused it. The new clip I imported that I want to cut sections out of, is new, so maybe there is something about this new clip, that is different from the rest? It was shot with the same camera on the same day though, and I didn't change any of the settings.

As for doing the dissolve from one clip to another, I added a 'film dissolve' transition. One clip is on top of the other, yes. No effects are added, accept I did play with the luma curve a bit. Could this be what's causing it? Cause I added the same effect to other clips in the scene, to make it all match, and the other clips play fine.

I've been using PPro as a professional for 8 years now.

As a professional, have you kept up with the upgrade path or have you continued to use older versions?

An interesting beside the point, I'm fairly sure (it's stretching my memory, though I don't really care enough to dig through old posts to find this) earlier last year he was using CS5.0. Hence my question.

I didn't randomly pick one, I just picked that one cause it sounded like it could have been the problem.

When you lack a clue enough to solve a problem, it's best to follow common sense and answer the questions asked. Not only that, it's rude to do anything else.

Sorry I will answer the questions.

Now anwser the rest of the questions.
I asked them to serve as a checklist. Not for you to randomly pick one, because that will let info out of the complete picture. (In case you haven't learnt: we need all info to be helpfull.)

Or a clip (videofile)?

I am cutting a clip only. I am wanting to make cuts on that clip and then want to insert it into the rest of the sequence.

[/QUOTE]Any effects?[/QUOTE]

I used the luma curve, as well as some other color adjustments since.

[/QUOTE]Did you change hardware settings? (letting the mercury engine use the GPU alows more ealtime stuff)[/QUOTE]

No.

[/QUOTE]In other words:
did you change any settings recently that could cause this new problem?[/QUOTE]

No, unless changing color counts.

[/QUOTE]About transparency keyframes:
Or do you use a crossfade transition? (which does the same without you knowing it :P )[/QUOTE]

I used a crossfade. I have since took it off, but the clip still needs rendering everytime I move it, even without the crossfade.

Sorry I will answer the questions.

Or a clip (videofile)?

I am cutting a clip only. I am wanting to make cuts on that clip and then want to insert it into the rest of the sequence.

Any effects?

I used the luma curve, as well as some other color adjustments since.

Did you change hardware settings? (letting the mercury engine use the GPU alows more ealtime stuff

No.

In other words:
did you change any settings recently that could cause this new problem?

No, unless changing color counts.

About transparency keyframes:
Or do you use a crossfade transition? (which does the same without you knowing it :P )

I used a crossfade. I have since took it off, but the clip still needs rendering everytime I move it, even without the crossfade.

Using effects and a crossfade together can make it nessecary (hmmm, I always forget how to write this word...) to render everytime you move the clip, because the crossfade parts needs to be recalculated.
But in this case it sounds like the effects can't be done in realtime: they need to be rendered.
And because you are stacking 2 clips with effects: the preview needs to be rendered everytime you move it around.
(The previewfiles are clips, not seperated frames. So the whole clip refers to a certain selection with certain properties. When you move a clip back to a previous situation, it should turn green, because it remembers there is a previewfile for that.)

You can try what happens when you disable one or more effects.

This is exactly why colorcorrection and grading are in the end of postproduction: too much render time when you keep changing things.

@Sweetie:
keeping up is important indeed, but for what H44 is working with CS5 should still be sufficient.
Under 2 conditions:
1) the hardware isn't a bottleneck
2) the user should have a clue of what (s)he is doing.

If the latter is false: the newest version won't help.
(And if the first is false, the newest version won't work :P )

Last edited:
Okay thanks. The editing is done and the picture is locked now. I was doing it for someone and had to do more editing correction during coloring. However, if I render the entire movie, and then close the program and re-open it, the whole thing needs to be rendered again, even though I did not move or add effects to anything. Is this normal for it to have to render every time you re-open it?

No.

Unless you are still F*nf up with different portable harddrives that you connect randonly, instead of giing them and assigned path number.
Which they should have if you use more than 1 portable drive on a project.
But I advice you to not try to fix that yourself: you'd probably format the drive instead...

Or unless you don't save after rendering.

Back