My distribution plan for a $50k USD profit.

So I decided to put my money where my mouth is, shoot something I can distribute and attempt to make money while keeping my day job. My business plan is modest and I believe a profit of around $50k USD is more than feasible, although I would split this with my co-conspirators, equally. As this is my first project shooting for the money, I may well fall flat on my face but thought I would put it on here.

In particular, I believe that 99% of what I have read about distribution on IT does not touch the possibilities of the 'new' distribution model and there is a different method of approaching this. There are experienced film makers on here who have clearly indicated I am wrong but rather than argue on an internet discussion board, I am simply going to put up money and try my 'new' model. A synopsis of my plan is:

- The most important element is the marketing plan and the start of the project and everything stems from this. This has been written conservatively and covers everything you would expect.

- Naturally, I have test-run the idea on friends and film makers. When told about it, they believe there is an untapped target audience which is desperate for this type of content. Am naturally being a little coy around title etc... but having run this by a couple of people, there is immediate interest.

- Part of the marketing plan is to meet key individuals with large audiences who will promote my little project free of charge. For example, I have a meeting with the presenter of a net channel with 18 million annual views who describes my project as 'fun' and will promote it on his channel. I believe he may be happy to promote me free of charge, meaning host my trailer, write about it, interview me. If this is the case, this is the second largest 'fish' I want to hook from a promotional perspective.

- Approaches have been made to other organisations which have not, yet returned my calls / emails but from the initial reaction of the channel host, I believe I am in with a shot of getting free promotion.

- Printed media: I have identified around 150 different 'minor' publications and forums which will want to discuss my little project. These are all focused on my target market. This means potential purchasers will be absolutely bombarded with my project. Everywhere they look, they will see adverts, interviews, posters etc...

- Initial costs have been budgeted for and money set aside for the entirety of the shoot.

- Equipment will be DSLR level and sound will be enough for my target audience and distribution. Ideally, I would have an Arri Alexa, mobile lighting truck and half a million bucks of sound equipment but I don't and will use the techniques I have painstakingly gleaned to drive this forward.

- Crew is on board. Can't afford to pay them but we will have an equal split as I genuinely want partners. Too often, I see musicians say 'looking for film making partners...' but if they make any money, they won't share it with the film maker. I'm different and want everyone to make money. H@ll, if this works, I will be sitting on a goldmine!

- Mainstream media will only be approached if this project is good enough.

Who knows if my crazy plan will work and no idea if anyone will be interested. Clearly, I believe it is in with a fighting chance and if someone generating 18 million views per year believes it is a good idea, then that is a hint I may be going in the right direction.

Next update after my meetings with the key players and the first part of the marketing plan has been executed. Stage 2 is to hone the project based on some of their input (to better appeal to the target market) and go into pre.

Would you consider keeping a blog or vlog to document the process? I'd certainly be interested in knowing what you're up to in more depth, as I'm sure others would.

Although I understand if you're keeping cagey on the details for a reason.

Would you consider keeping a blog or vlog to document the process? I'd certainly be interested in knowing what you're up to in more depth, as I'm sure others would.

Although I understand if you're keeping cagey on the details for a reason.

This is my little blog. On a day-to-day basis, this is pretty monotonous as now principal location and people are being organised, this is just the daily grind of marketing...

How long will this UK 'name' take to come back? Will give them a little nudge on Wednesday if they haven't come back by then. Need to hold fire and wait as don't want to seem too desperate but am really nervous about them not being interested.

Butterflies in stomach, think about this all the time, having kittens - any phrase you want - I am feeling it. Really feeling nervous about this one.

It feels like a big 'play' on my part as if we don't get them, I am back to square one in terms of a well-known UK name.

It's that stage where this name will make all the difference. Name recognition is strong enough that at least 25% of the UK population will know them, probably a little more. Their involvement might even be newsworthy 'x is back' and they were front page of a UK newspaper this month so could get television promotion time.

Aaaaarrrghhhhhhh.... super tense at the moment. Everything, absolutely everything within preproduction is hanging in the balance at the moment. People, 'name,' locations, everything.

If everything comes together then fantastic. If it doesn't then back to the drawing board. Already exhausted plan A so this is a killer.

Having kittens at the moment waiting for people to come back to me while at the same not wanting to go to them and look too desperate. It's a fine line but will need to call them.

Good luck man!
Don't be desperate!

And I'm happy that you had a plan B to fall back on, but man, it'd be a great idea to have a plan C and a D as well. In this business, a plan E and an F are sometimes necessary.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Good luck man!
Don't be desperate!

And I'm happy that you had a plan B to fall back on, but man, it'd be a great idea to have a plan C and a D as well. In this business, a plan E and an F are sometimes necessary.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Thanks, really nervous. It'll either all come together in the next 2 weeks or completely fall apart. If I had a massive budget, it would be different but it's where I am now.

Fingers crossed as it'll either be a disaster or success over the next 2 weeks.

Back