• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Filmmaking without a Script

So a group of us got together and just filmed a short (then submitted it to the local film festival) sans-script where everything was generated on the spot. Some scenes took a few takes (each take being different than the last) but it ended up being quite good.

Just wondering who else may shot semi-improv shorts/feature films as we are interested in knowing if such a method would be expandable to a longer feature (first is 13 minutes long)?

I wrote my first short film just making it up as I went. No script. Just brainstormed ideas shot it and then later tried to edit it together. Then came up with tie ins or an ending. But part of the problem with this style is trying to make it flow together and not knowing when you are done filming because there is more ideas all the time to shoot. But some great ideas do happen on the fly. I just kept on shooting scenes tell I felt I had enough to make it work and the scenes fit better. Then scraped the stuff that did not work. The editing process is probably a lot harder when you have so many options.

Your question is, who has ever made a film without a script, and the answer is, many, because it's not an uncommon experiment in the very early stages, and certainly a productive one. *spontaneous thoughts in film* bring you closer to the medium.

Your next question could be, has a film made with no script ever had a theatrical release, and the answer is, no.

If memory serves, much of "Naked" was David Thewlis ad libbing on the streets of London. So an overall story script, but actual dialogue done by the actor. I think Harmony Korine's films (particularly "Gummo" and "Julian Donkey Boy") were done that way.

So, yeah, it certainly can be done with FANTASTIC results. But it does rely on having absolute top-notch people to work with. And an overall structure to focus the actors.

Your next question could be, has a film made with no script ever had a theatrical release, and the answer is, no.

Not quite true. All of the Christopher Guest and company films were improvised, although they had a story structure. So in that sense, there is no script.

Mike Leigh's films all begin as improvised scenes which are then turned into a shooting script.

And of course, "Curb Your Enthusiasm" is improv built on a tight structure.

There are numerous fake docs which have been improvised; "Man Bites Dog" comes to mind.

Plenty of theatrical releases in this bunch and few actual scripts. Just scene outlines. It can be done, with care, but you're going to burn lots of video.

I did a short film without using a script. There were specific plot points I wanted to happen and that drove the story forward. The diolog was improvised but the overall story was undertood before shooting. Some shots were made up just for fun. My short was a fake doc so it seemed to work without a script.

I think there is a way to shoot a movie without a written script for the actors. Tell them what is going to happen in the scene and let the actors improvise to that point. Kind of like the game show Who's Line is it Anyway?

Then again, a stong script is always good.

I film my webshow, FPS with a VERY loose script. I basically write out 5 pages of the plot, and I let the actors do their thing. Some of my actors are very talented at improv and it's hilarious, so yes, I film about once a week with little to no script.

Monsters did this too, in a sense. I think there was a script but much of it was done on the fly, chopped and changed and ad libbed. They would see a good location, or one that they felt had potential and jump out and film a scene using whatever people they could. For example, that whole scene where they buy tickets to america and are negotiating the price, was done on the fly. They just grabbed an employee that spoke english and went with it. Also, towards the beginning, that scene with the workers and the half knocked down building was done the same way.

See the special features on the Blu-ray for more info about this (possibly DVD special features as well, have not checked)

My films up to this point have not had scripts-I make them and go from my head-a couple of projects down the pike I have that will involve more than one person and are more complex will have scripts-including my slowly coming to form Mask Documentary.

Good info guys, looks like next weekend we are shooting another one (This time my friend Mike is overseeing the production) so I don't have all the details yet other than once again I may be acting a small bit in addition to the scene set-up and camera work.

Back