• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch "Annoying Brian" by Terranova Pictures - Best Actor

Hello Everyone, Here is my film “Annoying Brian” for the ITOOFC#4.

http://www.bophe.com/movies/Annoying%20Brian.mov

Looking forward to your thoughts. I will be checking all of yours out ASAP.

I would like to thank:

Bophe for hosting my film

John for co-writing the script, and the use of his music (oh yeah, and Starring in it)

Jen Meyers for the makeup work

and Paul d'Onofrio for the idea as well as helping with the filming.

Also appologies go out to the above mentioned Paul as my car acident kept me from helping him film his, which is why he now has no entry. Sorry Paul I feel like an ass.

--Brian

AnnoyingBrianPoster400.jpg

Last edited:
That was hilarious!
smiley_zip.gif

Wasn't too keen on John's little aside to the camera right at the end (was almost like explaining the joke to those who didn't get it), but everything else was spot on.

Funny, moved fast, acting was well done... loved it. :cool:

DAMN YOU ZEN STEVE! How dare you cast a foul stench on my film!

.... ok really I get what you mean. It was one of those last minute adlibs that we thought was funny during filming. No explaination meant behind it, just thought it worked.

Thanks for the compliment though! Both of you.

I thought this was a great movie, it had comedy, horror and a knife. I was very entertained.

Makes me wish I did a comedy/horror

There is no critique that I can really come up with except the sound was only in my left speaker except for sound effects. That may have been on my end.

Great movie!

I watched it with the sound turned down. I did not get the story. Try telling the same story visually without dialog.

SPOLERS INSIDE:

FREAKING... HILARIOUS!!

Two males on a couch, one dead, one alive, both bitching at each other!! CLASSIC!

The comedic acting was top notch, music fit really well, sound was nearly flawless, etc.

The only thing I could comment on would be that it goes a little too long. For a simple idea (one location, two actors, one subject) I think it goes a little on the long side... If there were some way to refine this and make it even shorter, I think it would be twice as effective as a short, quirky comedy!

BTW- love the "Date with Brian's Ex" on the calendar!!

I agree with Zen though- didn't feel the aside to the camera...

Overall, great job- I thoughouly enjoyed this flick!

Loved it John. It had me laughing out loud. Oh yeah, tell Brian that I know a guy who knows a guy who might be able to help him out!!

Chris

P.S. I sort of liked the comment to the camera. I guess that goes to show that we all have different tastes.

Hey Chris... Who do you know? I JUST WANT TO DIE! Why Won't John just let me Die!

Thanks for the support on the aside to the camera too.

I really appreciate all of your thoughts guys, please keep them coming.

--Brian

Hey, Brice! It's Charles.... from school! I think this is a hillariously brilliant piece of crap! You, John, Jen, and Paul are doing God's work.
Remeber the part where John flicked the knife? Or the time that he was bitching about how everything was about YOU?
Good stuff!

There was one guy that said your audio was only coming out of the left speaker... I'll second that emotion! I'm guessing you guys did a mono recording with the mic. You can either correct that with a stereo adaptor at the time of recording, or fix it with software. Software can do everything!

I also tried watching it with the volume turned all the way down, but it wasn't nearly as funny. I agree with that other post. Maybe if you wear a dress in your next film, it will measure up!

Cheers! (that's what everyone says now!)

Charles... from school... No, no sorry don't remember you.

Thanks for the tips, a dress will be very key in the next film. Oh and the sound problem would be due to the fact that I am deaf in my right ear, so I said screw the right speaker.

Thanks again, Mr... OH ! Charles! right!

Last edited:
Really funny script - great work. Dies a bit in the middle, try to tighten it up a bit.

Your framing, I would suggest re-doing this entirely. With wides, med close ups, extreme close ups, dolly in's on the wound, way way less of the double shot. Really make your MED CU's MED CU's, frame them better, (ie, the guy who is NOT dead, frame him up from the POV of the dead guy, and the otherway around). Progressively use MED CU'S, CU's and XCU's as the 'action' intensifies. Use a wider dolly in to establish beginning.

Audio.
Sounds like the mic is too far away, did you use a boom? Also, I would use music for emphasis in places.

Lighting.
Kill those room lights, hang a light above pic for back light just on the backs of their heads and shoulders down.
Use a key and fill on each face, with a ratio of 3 stops between the key and the fill for a dramatic look.

Set.
Use some red in the set, a red hanging on the wall, or red throws on the sofa. Then color correct your movie for more orange/red/. Or you could go for blues.

I'd love to see a remake!

Last edited:
I just got to view 'Annoying Brian' this morning (thanks for the .mov version, John!).

Definitely the funniest work I've seen in the competition. Hilarious script, funny premise. Good acting from both parties but I gotta say John was exceptional.

I like the cartoonish foley work on the knife 'boing', but it's visual could have been more obvious with a CU or something.

The calender was very funny, could be more surprising if John were to write in a white box 'Annoy Brian' then a pullback or fullshot revealed the whole month of his needling activity.

Good job Terrasolo! I look forward to more collaborations between you and the fine folk at Bohpe!

Thanks John! And Thanks to the Indietalk gang for the Birthday wish in my mail box!

And Thanks to everyone for thier thoughts, I'm not going to listen to them, but thanks. (Just kidding)

I really appriciate all the comments so please keep them coming. I'll be away for a week, but I will make sure to read every one when i get back.

Thanks again!

--Brian

Hahahaha. Hilarious with very well written dialog.

Besides what everyone already said, I thought "I don't think anyone can begin to explain it in the five minute alloted timeframe" was a nice touch.

Really funny stuff!

Rob--there actually is a longer edit. The original cut, following the script as written, ran about 7 minutes. The 5 minute limit, however, forced Brian to trim out some excess and -- to be perfect honest -- made it a better, tighter movie.

Back