• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Darkness

That was very nicely done, Flaviu.

The dull muted colours worked very well for the past. Looked fine in the present, as well, though I think keeping them brighter there would have made a nice contrast.

I don't think the whole file is uploaded, though. It ends when the man has stumbled out of the car.

Very well written, and fantastically shot. You really know how to move a camera around. The acting was great, as well.

Sad, tragic and touching story. :tear:

Looked like an episode of the x-files. the lighting and shots I mean. In other words, very good looking. The sound was a bit low on my computer, but I got the point. Sad story.

Composition

Yea that composition rocked! Definately can learn something from that. Number 1 composer in my opinion.

The cinematography is TOP NOTCH... a little too dark in some parts of the car, but the overall feel works really well for the picture.

Music- A1 amazing

Acting- top notch on all accounts. The dad was CREEPY, the kid was incredible, and that beautiful sister delivered her lines like a pro.

Sound was a little too quiet on some of the kid's lines.

Overall, amazing flick! Really, you tackled a sensitive subject, and the ending was DISTURBING without going overboard. We must work together one day, Flav... your sense of film style is incredible!

skankis said:
Yea that composition rocked! Definately can learn something from that. Number 1 composer in my opinion.

Tero is amazing. I've been meaning to work with him in some way or another for quite a while.

Spatula said:
The cinematography is TOP NOTCH... a little too dark in some parts of the car, but the overall feel works really well for the picture.

Music- A1 amazing

Acting- top notch on all accounts. The dad was CREEPY, the kid was incredible, and that beautiful sister delivered her lines like a pro.

Sound was a little too quiet on some of the kid's lines.

Overall, amazing flick! Really, you tackled a sensitive subject, and the ending was DISTURBING without going overboard. We must work together one day, Flav... your sense of film style is incredible!

Hmm...no bad comments, eh? Maybe you need to watch the film again.:D

PCs and Macs have different gamma settings, but I didn't realize the film looked so dark on PC. I'll upload a PC version ASAP! Sorry guys.

We must and will work together one day. But you gotta come to the US this time ;)

Wow.

Flaviu, that was amazing. I'm watching on a PC -- and its so dark -- and I still think it is some of the most beautiful footage I've seen on this board. Your sense of lighting and movement is superb. The acting was also excellent. When I first heard the dad talking (before his face was on screen) I thought -- "Wow, he got Jeff Bridges!" sounded just like him...or was it Beau...hmmmm.

Critiques -- only one.
The green screen effect is visible on the girl's face and dress at the end.
I have seen from your other post that you are looking into that.

I understand you are making a lighter copy. I'm not sure I want one...something about this works SO well. I just want to see it finished, and at DVD quality so I can get a full screen view.

John@Bophe said:
I understand you are making a lighter copy. I'm not sure I want one...something about this works SO well. I just want to see it finished, and at DVD quality so I can get a full screen view.
Funny thing about the darkness: I've seen this on an old PC (with built in video card) and the video looked extremely dark. You could barely see the people. Everything else was almost completely black. I thought that how it looked on PC.

Anyway, I uploaded a separate version for PC. John, if you get a chance, let me know how that looks on your PC.

All the greenscreen and what you mentioned there need to be re-done. Glad you liked it John. I'll make some DVDs when it's done.

The new version can be downloaded above in the original post.

I loaded this last night and viewed it this morning...Incredible work. You have a poetic sense of composition even when panning. I liked the high contrast, it really emphazises each shots 'subject' (girl on couch, knife, father's face looking----for girl under table).

The composition totally melds with image and added a profound layer of sadness to the story.

At first I thought the girl was the younger, abused version of the grown woman, and that she was seeking reconcililiation with past horrible experiences, ie: the reverberating pic of her as an adult while the child was pulled from under the table seemed like the ghost of her future self. Sorry, probably too much psycho babble...for which I'm known:) The father killing the child was totally shocking.

Terribly Beautiful Job, Flaviu!

I loved the feel of this one... one of the most beautiful things I've seen and heard. Aside from the storytelling (which is incredible), the audio and visual presentation alone are superior. Wonderful job on all fronts; can't wait for DVD-quality version!

I just now found out that there are two versions of this file. I agree with John in that the darker version offers something more. The way you captured everything... I have no idea how this is working, but it seems like you get so much more by losing some of that light. My preference is that darker one!

Another wonderful entry. Put me down for the DVD too. I would love to see it on a big screen.

I try to look at the entries as a whole. Other than something glaring at me, I'm not looking for minor errors, though sometimes I see them anyway. For this one, the story and the acting and the music carried me, and any errors went past me without my noticing. It did seem a little dark to me, but it was a VERY dark story. Half a dozen of one and 6 of the other.

Great job!

Chris

Flaviu, hats off to you... very nice job. I really don't have anything to add that others haven't yet.. the young girl's performance was great!

The only hiccup I noticed was the composite of the mother's photo.. it bounces a bit.

Just wanted to let everyone know Aaron [Shaw] has generously offered his services to redo all the composites (keying, picture composite, etc). He's been working on it for a while now and the footage I've seen so far looks amazing.

Can't wait to share a more polished version of the film with you guys, hopefully soon.

The film has been on the shelf for a while now...I think part of me didn't want to accept the fact that nothing else could be done...[damn that camera mic, damn the greenscreen, damn the two week deadline for my slow-poke self...]

But all excuses aside, I actually really like how some aspects of the film turned out.

I have reuploaded the film. It now has credits as well. (that alone is a big improvement)
Also, many thanks to Aaron for redoing the green screen shots.

It can be viewed here:
http://www.flaviuman.com/darkness.html

It is about 25MB in QuickTime format.

Feel free to tear it up all over again.

I also want to thank the IndieTalk folks that made this competition possible. The comprehensive feedback from the judges was invaluable!

Awesome!
I can't wait to check it out again!

It really was a great movie and I'm especially interested in seeing the VFX work. Sorry I wasn't able to do that for you.

Back