Rotoscoping Software Advice Needed

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction on this technique. I need to do an fx shot where a person's hands are glowing blue. Then they touch something and the blue glow transfers to that object. This is going to have to be done over some live video that I'm going to shoot on location, so I won't really be able to do anything in the field for the fx, it's going to have to all be added in post.

Can anyone recommend any software or techniques for doing something like this? I guess what I need to be able to do is select an area of the video (by color, skin tone possibly), and be able to key something in just that area of the moving video. I think Combustion can help me create this kind of matte, but I don't think I can swing that budget-wise. Is there something more affordable like After Effects that could accomplish this kind of effect? Any links to tutorials or information on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

I use rotoscoping as well. In fact, i'm doing it right now! :P

I use rotoscoping to make lightsaber FX, like in Star Wars.
The method I use is I import the file I want to get rotoscoped into Premiere, then Export it as a Filmstrip, open Photoshop, open the Filmstrip, do some adjustments (it's very easy to save in .PSD first, then do the adjustments you would like), then save as a filmstrip again, open that filmstrip, and export as AVI, or your prefered export file...

Any questions just email me @ da_gotan@hotmail.com.

Greetz Gotan

I'll have to explore that option for touching up some poorly lit green screens in the footage I'm working on now.. I was just doing it with the "Paint" plugin in after effects, but gah that's a pain!

The tools included just aren't as nice as those with photoshop. :)

I have used flash in the past to do a whole scene rotoscoped but im not sure how it might work when you try to use it with layering it over video. just a thought

I have done the Premier to photoshop and back again thing for light sabres too. If you go that way, you will have to rotoscope everyframe.

How long is this effect going to be seen on film?

I use combustion and that program impresses me more and more and more. It's awesome. Combustion has a tracking feature that can track the hand. then apply that track to an effect such as particles. Combustion is top notch and it will save you much, much time. My suggestion is to get it.
Are you a student? If so, you can get it pretty cheap.

There has to be some AE guru's on here... can this be done easily in AE?

Yep sure can. As you mention it will be much easier than roto and will look better even.

AE is great stuff as well. I like it just as much as combustion. They're different but they do pretty much the same sorts of things. Somedays I like to work in combustion and others in AE :D

Back