how to credit people in film?

If you hired a cinematographer but you directed all shots would you still credit them d of p?
Or would they be a camera person or lead camera or whatever?

How did you promise the credit to him?

What was your relationship with him on the set? Did you frame the shot and he made it look good, adjusting the camera & lighting etc. until you liked it? Or did you bounce ideas off of each other? Cinematographer. If he strictly ran the camera under your complete direction, Camera Operator. The line is kinda fuzzy? Cinematographer.

Only you can be honest about his contributions. Err on the side of generosity.

How did you promise the credit to him?

What was your relationship with him on the set? Did you frame the shot and he made it look good, adjusting the camera & lighting etc. until you liked it? Or did you bounce ideas off of each other? Cinematographer. If he strictly ran the camera under your complete direction, Camera Operator. The line is kinda fuzzy? Cinematographer.

Only you can be honest about his contributions. Err on the side of generosity.

yes thanks

Unless you specified something in your contract with them, you can list them as production assistants or give no credit at all. That is your only legal obligation.

If you did all the work and the camera operator only pressed "play" you'll be doing yourself and him a disfavor if you were overgenerous -- especially if he gets a gig on another film and can't do the job -- this will reflect badly on you.

Your call.

Good luck.

Unless you specified something in your contract with them, you can list them as production assistants or give no credit at all. That is your only legal obligation.

If you did all the work and the camera operator only pressed "play" you'll be doing yourself and him a disfavor if you were overgenerous -- especially if he gets a gig on another film and can't do the job -- this will reflect badly on you.

Your call.

Good luck.

thats interesting. I'm not worried about how it looks on me and i wouldnt mind if he got more work because of it. But if he got a job based on my creativity that could be problem right?

thats interesting. I'm not worried about how it looks on me and i wouldnt mind if he got more work because of it. But if he got a job based on my creativity that could be problem right?

Stick with how well he does DOP stuff. If he sets up quickly, lights things to your satisfaction and the image he captures look good, by all means give him DOP credit. If he can't do these things without help (yours) then he's not a DOP.

The creative thing isn't really important in this case, besides most people will attribute it to the director anyways.

Good luck.

Stick with how well he does DOP stuff. If he sets up quickly, lights things to your satisfaction and the image he captures look good, by all means give him DOP credit. If he can't do these things without help (yours) then he's not a DOP.

The creative thing isn't really important in this case, besides most people will attribute it to the director anyways.

Good luck.

yeah your rightt . Thanks . I've really enjoyed your advice on here. I think its always spot on

I'm not sure what you mean 'directed all the shots'

I've had Directors explicitly tell me exactly what shots they want but that doesn't mean the DP is not worthy of a credit.

If a Director says 'I want a wide shot' that does not mean the DP hasn't fulfilled his job. If the Director sets up lights, frames and operates the camera, that's a different story.

Legal or not. It would be childish to not credit someone, because there was no contract saying so.
That would be like denying you didn't do things alone...
That will surely reflect badly.

It will reflect badly on the DOP, because he took a job beyond his/her abilities.
It will only reflect bad on you when someone calls for a reference check and you praise a worthless DOP.

Like GA said the creative part is often associated with the director.

Legal or not. It would be childish to not credit someone, because there was no contract saying so.
That would be like denying you didn't do things alone...
That will surely reflect badly.

On the contrary, most people do not read the credits except the people in the project OR another filmmaker looking for talent/crew.

With short films in particular, the absence of credits is a PLUS! The title at the beginning and the website address at the end is ideal. Adding the filmmaker's name once is a full plate.

I'm not sure what you mean 'directed all the shots'

I've had Directors explicitly tell me exactly what shots they want but that doesn't mean the DP is not worthy of a credit.

If a Director says 'I want a wide shot' that does not mean the DP hasn't fulfilled his job. If the Director sets up lights, frames and operates the camera, that's a different story.

well i guess it s a matter of opinion thats what i was asking . A d of p doesnt have to be creative by thinking of the shots. Ok. but he doesnt get extra credit if he did. Thats my confusion in credit

Back