How do you achieve this look?

There's a lot of details in that picture that comes from the camera itself. HOWEVER... for the colors and lighting:

If you look at the footage, at the 2:26 mark, it says that it's a color correction/grading test for BMPC. It tells you, it's lit well while being shot and color corrected and graded afterwards. It's a little hard to tell what exactly went into making it look exactly like that. It'd be a combination of shooting well and color grading.

It can be done with a wide variety of cameras.

Can it only be done with a 'black magic' camera?

I'm pretty sure well-lit, well-composed footage shot by experienced cinematographers existed before Black Magic cameras were available, and will continue to be made long after Black Magic's heyday. I might even go so far as to suggest that camera brand is pretty low in the list of other desirable variables & conditions, when aiming for a stellar image.

Of course, I could always be wrong.

I am not wrong.
:coffee:

The magic at play in this footage (if there is any) has nothing to do with the camera.

What is at play here is: Lighting and framing/composition, quality lenses, and a dose of somewhat heavy-handed color grading.

You could just as easily do the same with a dslr, or a super8 film camera, or pretty much everything in between. Sure the look and feel might vary slightly, but the camera is pretty much the least important aspect of that particular equation.

I'm pretty sure well-lit, well-composed footage shot by experienced cinematographers existed before Black Magic cameras were available, and will continue to be made long after Black Magic's heyday. I might even go so far as to suggest that camera brand is pretty low in the list of other desirable variables & conditions, when aiming for a stellar image.

Of course, I could always be wrong.

I am not wrong.
:coffee:

:D

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the look of this clip. Looks little better than a DSLR.

It's lit, and they're using decent glass. Personally I think it's over-sharpened, over-lit, and way too shallow (DOF). But that's just me.

Camera's got little to do with it.

I think there is too much of a gamma adjustment too, since you can see too many details on the subject's skin. Phillip Bloom, seems to hate sharpness so I am surprised he used so much.

Back