SD 633 or SD 744T - Which One?

Besides the addition of an extra channel in the 744T, are there any other vast differences that I should be aware of between the 633 and the 744T?

Yeah, the 633. Sorry, been putting in a lot of hours.

If you want to discover where the price difference is, start comparing the actual specs and capabilities.

Each device fills a specific niche in the world of field audio. Instead of comparing prices, first delineate your needs. What are you looking for in your field recording kit? Is it personal/hobby or professional? What will you be recording? What applicable audio gear do you already have? Is "modular" the way you should go? And a thousand other questions that only you can answer.

My personal answer was to rent what I need when I need it. That was a professional/business/financial decision. The possible scenarios I could possibly face made for an expensive field recording kit. As I would not be in the field all that often it could not be financially justified.

All that said, the prices have gotten to the point where something like the DR-70d or R-44 could be financially justified. I would still need to rent for some situations, but under $1k could amortize out in two years.

Yeah, the 633. Sorry, been putting in a lot of hours.

If you want to discover where the price difference is, start comparing the actual specs and capabilities.

Each device fills a specific niche in the world of field audio. Instead of comparing prices, first delineate your needs. What are you looking for in your field recording kit? Is it personal/hobby or professional? What will you be recording? What applicable audio gear do you already have? Is "modular" the way you should go? And a thousand other questions that only you can answer.

My personal answer was to rent what I need when I need it. That was a professional/business/financial decision. The possible scenarios I could possibly face made for an expensive field recording kit. As I would not be in the field all that often it could not be financially justified.

All that said, the prices have gotten to the point where something like the DR-70d or R-44 could be financially justified. I would still need to rent for some situations, but under $1k could amortize out in two years.

For the time being, I have put my Tascam HD/P2 through its paces, however, in the upcoming future, I have a slate of videos which may require more than 2 tracks. I'd like to be able to bounce a few tracks down to 1 of the 3 right in the unit, on location, and still have the other two tracks for safety mixes. Maybe an additional lav mic track of a subject already being covered in Track 1 with a boom mic.

So, I'm thinking that the 633 may be versatile enough for the task. I guess I just wanted to know if there is a loss in audio quality/capability that I should be aware of between the 633 and the 744T.

With the 633, if I read the specs correctly, you wouldn't have to mix anything live. If you've got the tracks, why bother? And you can still do a safety mix as (I believe) you can route a signal to multiple tracks.

If you were willing to spring for the 744T why not look at the 664?

Back