Hey guys :)

My name is Matt Kirkland and i am currently studying a film diploma at the International Film College on the Gold Coast.

i have been asked for an Industry Networking & Safety assignment to establish and maintain at least two relationships that promote the development of business or work experience opportunity.

My aim is to pursue networking opportunities that will maximize a rang of contacts before i complete my diploma studies at the end of the year..

Could any of you please to cut it short give me a brief summary of who you are, what you're part is in the film industry and a little anything extra that you would like to throw in would be muchly appreciated and help me finish my assignment so i can move on to further studies...

Part 3 of the assignment outlines:
Design a survey to obtain a written feedback from your networking contacts to identify and develop ways to improve your promotional activities such a phone manner, personal presentation, required knowledge and skills for the job, punctuality, ability to listen/learn etc

Not quite sure what that means but yeah like i said if some of you could please give me a brief rundown on what you do in the industry it would be muchly appreciated ...

I don't quite get what you're asking for.

Seems to me like you're supposed to find ways to create better promotion for yourself. Don't you want to ask more specific questions to obtain that information than just a brief summary of what I do for my job?

Could you give me a brief summary of what you do for a job?

How many days do you work usually?

What skills are required for that job?

Is it a hard industry to get into?

Any advice for myself entering the industry?

Any further comments to help me further my career in this industry?

How many days do you work usually?

What skills are required for that job?

Is it a hard industry to get into?

Any advice for myself entering the industry?

I manage production...no, not that kind. I work in printing.

Organization

Yes?

Dont

Yea mark-up on printing services can be really high. Be careful.

Record and Mix albums, Record and Mix ADR and dialogue for film. Record and edit sound effects for film.

Depends. 7 days a week on something big. 5 days regularly. 3 days sometimes.

Hearing. Computers. Communication skills. Logistics skills. Common sense. A good eye for talent. Sense of pacing. Musical ear. Sense of rhythm. Good memory. Scheduling skills. Knowing when to be quiet. There are lots more - too many to type here.

Depends.

Learn about it first.

You can learn a lot by doing and doing and doing. Make sure you keep doing things, try new things. It's OK to make mistakes, but try to make them as early and as inexpensive as possible.

welcome-3.gif

With regards to your assignment... Folks around here at IndieTalk will let you know that I am a stickler for proper grammar, spelling and punctuation, even when participating in something seemingly as unimportant as an internet forum. It is not because I want to humiliate people or impress them with my education (which, in fact, I do not have) but because being well-spoken and well-written are marks of professionalism, plus the fact that making use of proper grammar and a well rounded vocabulary assists in communicating clearly and concisely. You will also find that I use profanity sparingly, that way it retains its shock value when making a point or when making a joke; or better yet, combining the two.

I am also a firm believer in discipline and common courtesy. Discipline is obvious; you need to be disciplined in your personal and professional life in order to achieve happiness and success. Common courtesy is two-fold; what does it benefit anyone to be discourteous to others? Besides, you always need to remember that todays a$$hole could be tomorrows executive producer; you don't want to any burn bridges.

Everything else on your list - phone manner, personal presentation, punctuality, ability to listen, etc. - stems out of self-discipline and common courtesy; and the hallmark of a true professional is the knowledge and acceptance of the fact that there is always more to learn.

The rest lies in platitudes... Don't make promises you can't keep. Take responsibility for your errors. Work hard.

One of my favorite sayings comes from an unlikely source - Harpo Marx:

"Life has been meant for you to enjoy, but you won't enjoy it unless you pay for it with some good, hard work. This is one price that will never be marked down." - from Harpo Speaks

I do audio post production. 90% of the time I polish turds. The rest of the time I polish gems.

How many days do you work usually??

I sometimes go for weeks without work and sometimes put in 14 hour days, seven days a week for months on end.

What skills are required for that job??

Great ears, creativity, technical skills and patience.

Is it a hard industry to get into??

It is very easy to get into; it is very hard to make a decent living.

Any advice for myself entering the industry??

Work really, really hard.

Work even harder.

Back