What's the best way to finish my last scene?

I have one last scene left for my short film. It's been delayed because I've had to keep finding replacement actors for two of the roles. I don't want to have to my lead actors show up that day, only to find out that one of the replacements didn't show for a third time now.

The two characters are masked the whole time though, and wear gloves. So I was thinking that I can keep shooting different parts of the scene each time with a new person, that matches the height and weight of the original actor, that is since I can't keep an actor interested more than a couple of weeks. I would just have to find replacements ready and willing to go that matched, so the disguise would look the same.

It's a fight scene, so if only one guy showed up, I could shoot the fight scene in a way, in which only one masked person was on camera at a time. Then do one characters side of it, with the lead actors, then the other characters side of it. I would have to watch very closely for continuity errors though, if I shot two halves of a fight apart. I would like to get all of them to show up on one day, but in a microbudget, it just doesn't seem to be happening, and the more we have to cancel, the more actors are likely to leave again.

I have put out adds on Craigslist and Kijiji and are able to get guys interested for a couple of weeks at a time, before they change their minds, but perhaps when it comes to having to find emergency replacements, I should be looking elsewhere? One of my leads is moving soon, so I don't have as much time as well. Hoping to get it done in January. One draw back is with everyone not showing up there is not much time for rehearsing such a physical scene, but what else can I do when I can't guarantee they will show up each time.

Last edited:
Finish it with a bottle of scotch!

johnnie-walker-Red-Label7.jpg

Well I got a couple of replacement actors up for it and I hope one of them will show this time, depending on who I pick. However, I would be severly casting against type, so I don't know if I'm sure on it. I want to get it done, but that the same time I want to make it as convincing as I can and do it justice.

Your call, dude. put the camera on tripod, you get dressed in the costume, and play the masked character. Done

One of my actors couldn't make it for very impostant scenes, so that's exactly what I did.

Last edited:
Sure I'll storyboard it all three masked men are not all in the frame at the same time for as many shots as I can. I'll do some things to make this new guy look like he fits the role more.

Your call, dude. put the camera on tripod, you get dressed in the costume, and play the masked character. Done

One of my actors couldn't make it for very impostant scenes, so that's exactly what I did.

Bingo!

I did this too. I "appeared" in a number of scenes with hats, wigs, different clothes to appear as different people instead of trying to find actors soley for that scene. It works good with pickup shots too.

If you're making a feature film, make sure you keep all the actors clothes.

Good idea. I've been realizing that a lot of filmmaking is ideal shots, vs. compensating shots. Like shots that suck, but you need them to mask mistakes. How much percent of a movie should be those shots, as oppose to ideal, in order for the movie to be good, and not noticeably bad on that level.... Food for thought.

Check out "They saved hitler's brain". The production started in 1961 and it ended in .....1968! Thats right. 7 years gap in between.

Needless to say, all the actors where replaced in the middle of the shoot, even the story has been rewritten and modified..

So you'll be watching the movie, everything is fine, then comes in the next scene - completely different people, completely different story, different clothing styles, different haircuts etc..

Anyways, check it out. Its insanely bad.

Last edited:
Yeah I want to avoid that. Well I think the best way to get it done quickly while my leads are still available is to double for the masked men. But that of course risks more continuity flaw potential but I will try to storyboard as much around it as I can. If I can't get it done, then I will have to subtitle the third act and just explains what happens I guess.

Well I still haven't been able to find actors and need to get this thing shot while my other actors are still available. I need an alternate way. Can I double for the two in a fight scene? I really don't know what else to do, so what do I tell my other actors? Can I shoot the scene, then rotoscope myself as someelse into the scene after, from a later shoot at the same location. I will try to storyboard it so there is a minimum of shots where I will have to double for two people both in the frame at a time. Trying to storyboard so I can physically do all that, but am afraid I'll miss a shot or more, that won't match up.

Last edited:
Well I still haven't been able to find actors and need to get this thing shot while my other actors are still available. I need an alternate way. Can I double for the two in a fight scene? I really don't know what else to do, so what do I tell my other actors? Can I shoot the scene, then rotoscope myself as someelse into the scene after, from a later shoot at the same location. I will try to storyboard it so there is a minimum of shots where I will have to double for two people both in the frame at a time. Trying to storyboard so I can physically do all that, but am afraid I'll miss a shot or more, that won't match up.

How important is the fight scene to the story? As you already know, you'll probably have to make some big compromises.

- I was thinking when you mentioned that- you wanted to film the fight with one masked actor, then film later the other masked character on a different day that you're probably going to miss a shot or more that won't match up as you've said. I know the situation sucks because you want to focus on the difficult cinematography, the intensity of the fight, the acting or "selling" of each hit, but instead you have this dilemma that you need to work with. I've been in a few binds and I really feel for you.

- Are the main characters involved in the fight? For one really big fight scene in my latest short film, one of the lead actors couldn't be there. He was involved in the early and later parts of the scene, but was not an actual participant in the fight. So we just wrote around it. This villain character was searching for the main character in the city, with 3 of his men there to help find that main character. The main villain's involvement in the fight wasn't necessary so we wrote it that he was in another location while the fight between the other men were going on. Then we film the connecting / transitional elements separately with that main antagonist / actor that couldn't be there. Meaning we filmed the early part of the scene (where he goes off to antoher location) and the later part of the scene (where he sees his 3 men fighting the main character) on a separate day when the actor was available. Maybe this can give you some ideas?

- Write out the third guy. Think about how important to the completion of the film it is, to have that third masked man. You've been planning to have that third guy since you wrote the script. So in your head that is the way you have it plan. But would it really hurt to take a third masked man out of the movie? If you absolutely NEED to have him in there, that's still a dilemma, but if you take that third man out of the equation it can make life a lot easier for you.

- Going against the golden rule: Do you have a close friend that could possibly be the other masked man to fight with you? You're lucky that you've wrote the men to be wearing masks. That can hide a bit of the facial expression that would otherwise be played out by a legitimate actor. I usually hate asking a friend to help out, let alone act, but if you treat it carefully you can get away with it (perhaps even feel proud at how intense you can make it look with your friend's performance guided by your direction.) I had a few friends who were really social and they knew the basics of human emotion and they ended up doing a few small roles in a film. I was amazed at how well they sold it with no acting experience. And in your case the men fighting are masked! It still presents the problem of who's running camera. Even with the idea to film the masked men on different days, it makes life easier for your to be able to run camera while your friend acts.

- Are there any options you have by means of rewriting that can help you out? Will the lead actors be involved with the actual fighting? I don't know the story, but if the lead actors are mostly stationary you may be able to double them (their legs/pants/lower body/ or part of their upper torso.) Easier to film the lead actors on a separate day and splice them in (if they arent heavily involved in the fight) than to have to work around editing 3 masked men around. See if there are days you can get atleast one of the masked men to be there interacting with the lead/s. If it comes down to it, for a few shots you can tripod the camera and you can be one of the masked man. But I know how much you wanted that intense fight feel from your other topic. Whatever route you take, storyboarding is a must.

Tell the actors about the dilemma. Are they in the dark about the situation at hand? By telling them they'll know what's up and can possibly offer ideas themselves as they are committed to the project and have seen the project come so far. I doubt one of them will offer to play a masked man themself, BUT they may know an actor friend that can play the part as well if you feed them and give them credit. The actors are probably committed to seeing the completion of the film (since youve come this far) and could ask a friend of there's who's also an actor (possibly wanting to get into the action genre?) Ask them "Do you know any one that could possibly play the role of one of the masked men for the last scene?" For my very first short film, during casting, we found our lead female role. We still needed the lead male role to play the odd quirky main character. The lead actress said "Oh I know just the guy!" I was a bit skeptical at first, but when we met him, he was the PERFECT guy for the role. Just as I imagined. So yeah, actors know other actors that may be willing to help the production in a time of need. Also talk to your friends or family for some ideas. Even if they can't give you a direct fix, they can get your mind brainstorming in the right direction.

Forgive me if these ideas sound crazy, but the odds are against you and it is quite a dilemma. Any type of brainstorming helps.

Last edited:
Never fun to hear, but you best bet now is to rewrite the ending for what you have available. A fight scene between the two actors you have can be as intense a a 1 vs 4 or whatever. Or write around the fight altogether.

Another thing you could try is paying your "fighters". Only a few committed people will show up to a stranger's shoot for free. A lot more people will show up for a few hours for $50, and more will do it for $100.

Again, never fun to hear, but most of us have done it. I've rewritten (or asked the writer to) before the shoot happens and on set minutes before we shoot to accomodate for what we can pull off. I also pay people whenever I can, not every project I work on can, but still. If you've already shot 95% of this and spent lots of money for gear, props, food etc, an extra $50-200 is probably worth it to finish.

I don't need the fight scene ultimately. I need two actors to take hostages in the scene though. So even if there is no fight I need to find two actors for the scene either way. The previous shot scenes, speak of the hostage takers. So if I have that speaking about them, only to not have them in the movie, would make parts of the previous scenes pointless. But even finding actors to fill that is the same scenario, and not finding any. I am considering close friends, but they cannot act, and even though they would be wearing masks, they don't have the body types to make the roles convincing. I could ask the actors if they know anyone, but I am afraid that will look even worse, than me finding someone myself. But if that's a good idea I could ask. I told them of the situation, and I think I asked them before, but they didn't mention anyone.

Last edited:
Back