How do you find self motivate people to work with?

I've met so many people who have said that they are interested in working with me. They will say they will do this or that, but whenever the time comes and they are asked to help they say "I can't do it right now" or "I have a lot of things going on" and I have to do it myself. I can get people to help if I guilt them into it, but I just can't do that anymore. I don't want to work with people that don't want to work.

People are unmotivated and frustrating. I have musicians in my family and they say they experienced it as well. It seems to be something that plagues "creative fields."

The fact of the matter is I fear I will never be able to create something beyond short corporate interviews without at least some help.

Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I'm starting to think most people are just really apathetic about everything.

How do you find the intelligent, self motivated people to work with?

That is actually kind of comforting to read. I just wish there was a solution.

A willingness to do the vast majority of the work but share the credit.
Look at the south park guys, matt stone and trey parker..

it has both their names on it, but they're pretty much all written AND directed just by trey

That is actually kind of comforting to read. I just wish there was a solution.

The solution is paying people :) I consider myself quite motivated but at the end of the day if I have paid work on, that's going to take precedence over anything someone wants me to do for free. If I like it enough and can fit it in I'll do it, but that doesn't happen too often

The solution is paying people :) I consider myself quite motivated but at the end of the day if I have paid work on, that's going to take precedence over anything someone wants me to do for free. If I like it enough and can fit it in I'll do it, but that doesn't happen too often

Completely understandable, but people have come to ME and said they wanted to do work completely aware of the economics behind it. It has happened a surprising amount of time and they all bail out. I've even gone to location a few times to discuss lighting and camera angels...

A willingness to do the vast majority of the work but share the credit.
Look at the south park guys, matt stone and trey parker..

it has both their names on it, but they're pretty much all written AND directed just by trey

I mean, I thought that is what I was doing. Maybe I need to make that more clear by being more specific.

Last edited:
I don't want to work with people that don't want to work.

It could be you. Don't take this the wrong way, but people who concentrate (and word things) on what they don't want, usually don't find what they do want. If you worded the sentence "How do I find motivated people", I would be saying something completely different.

The solution is paying people

This is one option, and a decent option. Sometimes that isn't enough and other times it isn't necessary.

There are basically two types of motivated people. Those who are motivated leaders and those who are motivated and want to be led. Another piece of the puzzle that you need to learn is that people are (mostly) inherently selfish. Once you learn those things, working out how to find motivated people becomes a whole bunch easier.

The trick is to find people who will be motivated with what you have to offer. You have to find win/win situations for both of you. Get into situations that both sides will be motivated to work towards a common goal. It's hard to do, but it really is that simple.

people have come to ME and said they wanted to do work completely aware of the economics behind it. It has happened a surprising amount of time and they all bail out

It's easy to happen when all parties don't share (motivating) common goals, or have unrealistic expectations.

It could be you. Don't take this the wrong way, but people who concentrate (and word things) on what they don't want, usually don't find what they do want. If you worded the sentence "How do I find motivated people", I would be saying something completely different.

The title is "How do you find self motivate people to work with?" I purposely phrased it that way because I wanted to read personal experiences. Also, I don't see how "I" instead of "you" would have made a difference. I think you are splitting hairs. If you can give me more context and examples as to why the use of the word "you" instead of "I" is damaging in this context let me know.

They're already too busy doing their own thing.

So how did they find people to work with?

I'm starting feel a bit of hostility towards me. Not sure what I did wrong. I felt like this was a pretty reasonable question to ask, but if it is not let me know.

Relax.

Sweetie is taking the NLP approach. NLP states that if you focus on the negative you get the negative.

GA is always a bit harsh in his comments, since he believes it's a harsh world out there, we should be able to take that in here as well :P

I think the point is: those people dream of doing something someday. That's not very tangible at all.
It's like me: one day I'll write a book for kids, one day I'll finish my Death/Doom tape demo, one day I'l reorganise my office, but I don't set dates and goals for it.
I'm busy with my filmmaking business and my own film projects. Other things are just dreams.

But sometimes you will meet people who say: if you ever need help, let me know and then when you ask them they do show up.

The trick is to make it more tangible: you could follow up through email the next day trying to meet and discuss some plans. Keep the fire burning.

I think Guerilla's going at me, not you, so don't worry about that.

Don't take it from me as hostility. It's just me being blunt. It's just my way.

To answer your question, it has nothing to do with the word "you" or "I", it was the wording of the "I don't want to work with people that don't want to work." that I was talking about. There's a distinct way the brain works based on the language that you use. If you use the phrase "I don't want to work with people that don't want to work." your brain focuses on people you don't want to work with. If you phrase your language to "How do I find self motivate people to work with?" the brain concentrates (subconsciously) of ways to find people who are motivated. There's more to it, but that's the basics of it.

Does that clarify this?

They're already too busy doing their own thing.

First, I believe motivated is more than one trait. It's a combination of traits and comes in many different forms. I look for people who have the correct traits that means they are motivated within the role that works for both them (short and mid term) and works for me.

The truth of the matter, there are a large number of hard working, motivated people out there who are not natural leaders. In fact, most of them can't and don't want to lead. They're often looking for strong leaders that will help them achieve their goals and dreams.

More to the nitty gritty of it, when I first meet people (usually on a working basis), I lean towards finding out who they say they are. I observe and work with them. I usually avoid the dreamers, the posers and the deadbeats (and similar). I look first and foremost to attitude. If they're the kind of person (for example) who gets in there and works as part of a team, kicking in to help when needed instead of sitting back I pay special attention to them. The next part is really important. I get to know them. Find out who they are. What they are like. Where they want to be in the next couple of years. I'm really looking for people who are a good fit (for both sides) for my journey. The key to motivation from this point is trust. I look out for their interests, which in turn is also looking out for my interests. It's about team building, and building a future for the team.

Another point is goals may change and/or win/win situations change over time. If it's no longer a win/win situation, you have to cut the cord. This is doubly so if it's no longer a win/win situation for the other side. You need to recognize this and give them a graceful out option. The rest of your team will respect you for it.

That's my style. Your style is likely to be different. You have to work out what works best for you.

Every person is motivated by something different. People are at different stages of their life, all looking for different things. For instance, for me money isn't very motivating, though success is, and money is a method of keeping track, therefore small amounts of money don't serve to motivate me, though very large amounts that a big success brings, can motivate me.

It seems to be something that plagues "creative fields."

It plagues people full stop. Anyone trying to be a boss or putting teams together struggle with this. It's not limited to creative fields. Earlier I missed a general thing about most people. They try to get the most for the least amount of effort. The art of motivating people is getting them to be motivated so they can achieve their best, instead of kicking in the bare minimum to get through.

Most of the time when people are having troubles with motivating people, the issue stems from other areas and most of them are the fault of the leader. Picking the wrong team, incorrectly identifying what motivates the team, not being the kind of leader who who motivates your team and so on.

As I said it's not the only way, just the way that I see things. You can find another method that works for you if you don't think this will work.

Become friends with people, work on their sets and get contacts this way. If you don't pay people they can always bail if you just posted an add online and they replied. I don't think majority of crew members who work for free will need motivation,they will get involved to get a showreel or contacts,as long as they do their job they don't have to think that your project is going to be the best project ever and win all the awards. Now if you are looking for an experienced crew who get high paid work,than you have to sweet talk and sell them an idea to work for free or cheap on your project because it is great!

I found my guys on Indie Talk and every single one has been superbly motivated. My last music vid was entirely shot, directed and lit by IT members:

https://vimeo.com/paulrwalker/review/84971935/ccf932163f

Last short had 5 IndieTalkers on it and it was accepted by a fantastic festival in London: www.liff.org - 'Finding Angels.' It was scored, shot, acted in, lit, directed and had the sound recorded by Indie Talkers. Every single person was critical. If one of them hadn't made it, the short wouldn't have been in the fest.

This is a forum with loads of people who want to do stuff with short films. Just find them.

Agree with pretty much all that has been said so far.

To expand on what Walter was saying…one thing about being a leader (and that is what you're doing) is that one of the more crucial skills to master is how to make people do what they already want to do. These people might legitimately want to work with you--but you're expecting them to come to you, or like you said, respond to you guilting them into it.

Learn to movitate them yourself, and things will happen.

I realize that this is easy to say and ridiculously difficult to do, but as far as I can tell (look at any famous leader, whether you like them or not…Jobs is a fantastic example of this), it's the only real way to make things happen when collaboration is required.

I'm starting feel a bit of hostility towards me. Not sure what I did wrong. I felt like this was a pretty reasonable question to ask, but if it is not let me know.
You need to grow a thicker skin. No one is being hostile towards you
except GuerrillaAngel who is hostile to everyone.
The title is "How do you find self motivate people to work with?" I purposely phrased it that way because I wanted to read personal experiences.
Trial and error.

I found self motivated people to work with me by first working with
them. I volunteered on their movies. They were also having a difficult
time finding self motivated people to work so I became that guy. Then
they owed me a favor.

Secondly I found self motivated people to work with me through trial
and error. People would see I was making movies (and I was shooting
every weekend) and say they wanted to help. When I told them the
place and time most suddenly had other plans. Some showed up, found
they didn't like it and left. Some showed up and sat around talking to
other people who showed up. Every so often someone would be self
motivated and would work hard.

As someone who has worked on the vfx of a few low/no budget projects (also here on IT), let me have a go at explaining what is motivates me and what doesn't.

- Having something to show. I want to work with people whose previous projects got made and look good. It gives me more certainty that the effort I will put it will actually seen by an audience.
- Realism. Although I want to make good looking stuff, overly ambitious projects always turn out to be a waste of time due to poor execution. I'd rather work on a polished short than a sloppy, underfunded feature.
- Having clear and concise goals and deadlines. Although you may expect that "take your time" may be a nice gesture towards your post people, i hate it. I like crunching towards a deadline, then be done with it and relax, watch netflix until I hate myself and then find another project to work on.
- Managing those goals. Keep in touch with your people and what they're doing. I'v found that the most motivating projects where those that were extensively managed with spreadsheets (that would be continiously updated. really nice to see all that progress, especially when doing remote vfx work it's nice to get some signs you're not the only one slaving away, but there's other people getting other stuff done).
- Nice people with professional attitudes. Best thing is making connections with talented people.

You need to grow a thicker skin. No one is being hostile towards you
except GuerrillaAngel who is hostile to everyone.

Trial and error.

I found self motivated people to work with me by first working with
them. I volunteered on their movies. They were also having a difficult
time finding self motivated people to work so I became that guy. Then
they owed me a favor.

Secondly I found self motivated people to work with me through trial
and error. People would see I was making movies (and I was shooting
every weekend) and say they wanted to help. When I told them the
place and time most suddenly had other plans. Some showed up, found
they didn't like it and left. Some showed up and sat around talking to
other people who showed up. Every so often someone would be self
motivated and would work hard.

Directorik is dead on. If you work on someone else's project and work your butt off, you will meet people who either way to repay the favor or you will meet other crew members who will want to expand their network. You will find out who is a good to work with and who is not through trial and error. Some people will be consistently reliable and others won't. The one's who are consistent will continue to get calls from you. The others won't.

If your paying people, you need to show by doing. You have to be the one trying the hardest and working the most. Don't ask people to do what you aren't willing to do. For volunteer work, you also have to contend with people asking what's in it for them. They have to be getting something out of it. It may be companionship, knowledge or the feeling of accomplishment if they like the final product.

I'm starting feel a bit of hostility towards me.

Its not personal. But growing thick skin is necessary in this business. You'll thank me on Oscar night.

Your question is a fair one, but the fact of the matter is that nobody is going to be as motivated about your film as you are unless you pay them, and then only maybe.

Good luck.

Back