Film Festival Submissions...how much do I tell them?

So I just finished making a feature length animated film and I'm starting to submit to film festivals...which is fairly new territory for me. I'm filling out the submission information. First they ask for a pitch of 125 words or less, wrote that no problem, like what I wrote. Then they ask for a synopsis of 250 words or less, no sweat, I already had a synopsis that I'd written for my website. But then they ask for a 'long' synopsis of 1000 words or less. There's an option to skip it, and quite honestly that's what I'd like to do but I'm not sure if I should. At this point I can't elaborate further without giving away a lot of plot detail. Does anybody know what this information is used for at this point. I'd rather the screeners watch the film and make their decisions based on that, because I don't like the idea of their minds potentially being made up or at least being biased in one direction or another based on my wording in that lengthy synopsis. It's also a murder mystery and those details if spoiled could also affect their enjoyment of film. But maybe I'm being naive. Maybe I need to sell them on the details before they'll commit to watching the movie. If I leave that field blank am I doing myself a diservice or sending the wrong the message? Am I gonna seem disrespectful? Will it make me seem like a premedona? Cuz I'm not, I'm just a movie geek who likes to believe any flick can get a fair shake.

You need to do everything you can to impress whoever is reading the submission form on the other end. Only you know your film best, so if you feel the "optional" part would be doing you a disservice then don't do it -

If is requested, then do it.

withoutabox is what I'm using. The synopsis field that I'm talking about I guess is actually part of the withoutabox submission stuff. I was originally thinking it was specific to the festival though and withoutabox was simply away of uploading. I'm getting to know my around it better now but still not fully decided on how I want to approach this 'long synopsis.'

I put a lot of work into the short synopsis, expanded it for the medium. I don't spend a lot of time on the long. We all know the festival may look at it but they won't read it.
I agree to really narrow your entries to festivals where you will fit in.

Thanks for the advice guys but I have a new question now. I'm using withoutabox and trying to upload my film as a private screener before I submit. The film is roughly 83 minutes long but only 44 minutes of it is showing up on the site. Anybody ever encountered a problem like this before? Any idea what I should be doing different.

I used the online screener at WAB for my feature "Assisted Fishing" - it has to be under 2gigs. I don't recommend it though because you can't remove the film once it has been submitted. Even after the festival was over, the film remains online and can't be deleted - supposedly secure, but I don't like the idea of the full movie being online forever.

-Joe
http://www.assistedfishing.net

Back