• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Lighting question - bounce source and light ratio

Hello,
I'm lighting an approx. 20ft by 20ft area for a Medium-Wide shot in a large studio, soft high-key lit.
Looking at bouncing an M18 on a 20x20ft Muslin (or Ultrabounce?) frame, full front slight overhead - to add as fill/general ambient sunlight. And then using a 1.2k Arrisun (or 1.2k Briese) as a side-y key sunlight source with an opal or 216 diffusion.

Just checking if the M18 would be a good bounce source and if the lighting ratio for the key source sound right or wrong?

Keeping everything on household power (16A 220v here in Europe).
Let me know if you need more info! I know that there is no 'one way' of doing things but just thought I'd hear some thoughts and ideas.

Thanks!

Hello,
I'm lighting an approx. 20ft by 20ft area for a Medium-Wide shot in a large studio, soft high-key lit.
Looking at bouncing an M18 on a 20x20ft Muslin (or Ultrabounce?) frame, full front slight overhead - to add as fill/general ambient sunlight. And then using a 1.2k Arrisun (or 1.2k Briese) as a side-y key sunlight source with an opal or 216 diffusion.

Just checking if the M18 would be a good bounce source and if the lighting ratio for the key source sound right or wrong?

Keeping everything on household power (16A 220v here in Europe).
Let me know if you need more info! I know that there is no 'one way' of doing things but just thought I'd hear some thoughts and ideas.

Thanks!

Should be fine man. I still do my own DP work for the training videos I make, but have stepped back from doing it on my films, so I wouldn't be able to tell you exactly what would happen, but a 1.2k key and then bouncing a 1.8k for some ambient/fill should work great. I'm sure you will have to walk both lights to and fro a bit to get the ratio right, but that won't be hard, both lights are so close and the more powerful one will be bounced/dispersed, and they both have the same color. If you have something to throw behind him that will add a nice touch, and lately I've been doing a softer little "just a taste," sort of edge on people.

EDIT: Sorry I guess this response is too late. Hopefully it will help someone else.

Last edited:
Back