Britain leaves EU, What now for film makers

PaulWrightyThen

IOTM Winner
No politicking.

Hi all, this isn't to incite arguments, I don;t want to know how people voted. With things like Creative Englands iFeatures and other funding programmes supported bu EU funding, what now for UK filmmakers?

Are we looking into the abyss? Or will it be business as usual with just slightly different routes to funds?

http://www.screendaily.com/5106192....er&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Newsletter82

Hope this post doesn't break any rules.

Paul

Last edited:
less red tape and more investment from overseas with less tax and more grants.. I dont see the problem.

you might notice a few less british actors in US productions because they wont get the EU grant, but britain will increase its allowances and we will thrive even better, its not like british film is excelling in the world right now..

[1] less red tape and [2] more investment from overseas with [3] less tax and more grants.. [4] I dont see the problem.

1. No one has any idea if there will be less red tape or not, what the new red tape will be or how much it will cost to comply with whatever red tape the UK government introduces. In some respects there will, without question, be more red tape. Co-productions between Britain and EU countries are common and one reason for this is that currently it doesn't matter where in the EU co-producers are located. This will obviously have to change and there will have to be "red tape" to govern these types of relationships, where currently there is none. Regardless of whether there will ultimately be less red tape or not though, the not knowing is a very serious problem because it means budgeting and therefore the amount of funding required cannot be calculated accurately. It's going to take years, probably many years, to sort all this out and provide the certainty required. In the meantime ...

2. I can't see how you can possibly arrive at this statement, the exact opposite will be true! Point #1 is going to adversely affect overseas investment, plus of course all the current EU funding will obviously disappear. In addition, it won't be known for years what restrictions (taxes, etc.) will be levied by the EU and other countries on exported British products (inc. Film/TV products). Not knowing this and therefore not being able to project profits is obviously another serious deterrent to overseas investors.

3. Even the leave campaign agreed that leaving the EU would cause the British economy to tank, the only dispute is for how long and how far it would tank. How, with a tanking economy, are taxes going to reduce and grants going to increase? If anything, taxes are going to have to increase and grants decrease. With a shrinking or at least slowed economy, it's virtually impossible to imagine that the UK will even be able to plug the funding shortfall from the EU, let alone actually increase the current pot of UK Film/TV funding!

4. That puts you in a minority of about 1! Why do you think the UK Film/TV industry came out so heavily in favour of remaining in the EU? Why do you think that UK TV/Media companies were some of the biggest losers on the stock market after referendum? Just because you don't see a problem doesn't mean there isn't one, especially as everyone in the industry and those who invest in the industry are saying the exact opposite. I agree though, there isn't "a" problem, there is now a whole raft of problems! It's not a question of "if" those problems are going to badly affect the UK Film/TV industry, it's only question of how badly.

G

1. No one has any idea if there will be less red tape or not, what the new red tape will be or how much it will cost to comply with whatever red tape the UK government introduces. In some respects there will, without question, be more red tape. Co-productions between Britain and EU countries are common and one reason for this is that currently it doesn't matter where in the EU co-producers are located. This will obviously have to change and there will have to be "red tape" to govern these types of relationships, where currently there is none. Regardless of whether there will ultimately be less red tape or not though, the not knowing is a very serious problem because it means budgeting and therefore the amount of funding required cannot be calculated accurately. It's going to take years, probably many years, to sort all this out and provide the certainty required. In the meantime ...

2. I can't see how you can possibly arrive at this statement, the exact opposite will be true! Point #1 is going to adversely affect overseas investment, plus of course all the current EU funding will obviously disappear. In addition, it won't be known for years what restrictions (taxes, etc.) will be levied by the EU and other countries on exported British products (inc. Film/TV products). Not knowing this and therefore not being able to project profits is obviously another serious deterrent to overseas investors.

3. Even the leave campaign agreed that leaving the EU would cause the British economy to tank, the only dispute is for how long and how far it would tank. How, with a tanking economy, are taxes going to reduce and grants going to increase? If anything, taxes are going to have to increase and grants decrease. With a shrinking or at least slowed economy, it's virtually impossible to imagine that the UK will even be able to plug the funding shortfall from the EU, let alone actually increase the current pot of UK Film/TV funding!

4. That puts you in a minority of about 1! Why do you think the UK Film/TV industry came out so heavily in favour of remaining in the EU? Why do you think that UK TV/Media companies were some of the biggest losers on the stock market after referendum? Just because you don't see a problem doesn't mean there isn't one, especially as everyone in the industry and those who invest in the industry are saying the exact opposite. I agree though, there isn't "a" problem, there is now a whole raft of problems! It's not a question of "if" those problems are going to badly affect the UK Film/TV industry, it's only question of how badly.

G

a few cuts and bruises soon heal..

a few cuts and bruises soon heal..

That depends on how deep the cuts are, plus in this case it's going to take at least 2 years and possibly much longer for the uncertainty to "heal" and no longer be an investment deterrent. Also ...

... its not like british film is excelling in the world right now..

Really, you don't think for example that Star Wars VII and VIII are "excelling in the world right now"?

G

That depends on how deep the cuts are, plus in this case it's going to take at least 2 years and possibly much longer for the uncertainty to "heal" and no longer be an investment deterrent. Also ...

Really, you don't think for example that Star Wars VII and VIII are "excelling in the world right now"?

G

what makes it british? director is american, written by americans, filmed by a south african, the production company disney is american... even its founder george lucas is american?

oh so a couple of actors were british (you can thank the EU grants for that) that makes it a british film? so man of steel is british? BVS is british? no..

we had harry potter and james bond (questionable) but now we have eff all, next you will be saying mad max fury road is british...

How can any overseas investor put money into the UK? We are uninvestible for the next couple of years.

Local investors are running like crazy to place their money anywhere except the UK. I'm working out if I can buy some Florida property because I want my money in anything except sterling.

And as a side note, the drop in sterling and markets, historically, has always preceded a major recession. This isn't going to be helpful, either.

Last edited:
Back