Need advice on film editing workflow

Hi there

I've just joined indietalk from Emirates.

I was trained as a painter but fate got me in my father's photography studio (commercial studio & weddings). Since I was a struggling artist working in corporates day time and fighting to be an artist by night. I just decided to get into my father's business to at least have a creative job. I've been photographing since childhood. But for the past year, I've taken up the film and really enjoying it as a medium of expression. It's a broad freaking canvas!

Anyways, I'm really confused with the editing workflow. I have a Macbook pro retina 13". I've got Pr, Ae (CC 2017) & FCPX 10.3. My expertise level is pretty much the same on all three - which on a scale of 10 would be 3 IMO.

The confusion is that I love the clean and easy workflow of FCPX and it's efficiency on my system. But it lacks in colour grading flexibility as compared to PR and I've only got Neat Video in AE. Moreover, I'm unable to find free goodies for FCPX at the moment.

It just occurred to me that what if I edit my whole video in FCPX and export it in h.264 or ProRes 422 and then take that clip to Pr/Ae for grading and denoising? Is it alright to that? Are there any shortcomings or is it a good practice? I've researched extensively but couldn't find relative material.

Any advice would be more than appreciated.
Apologies for the noobness.

It just occurred to me that what if I edit my whole video in FCPX and export it in h.264 or ProRes 422 and then take that clip to Pr/Ae for grading and denoising? Is it alright to that? Are there any shortcomings or is it a good practice? I've researched extensively but couldn't find relative material.

FCP still runs?

If the workflow works for you, run with it to your hearts content. It sounds like you'd run into quality issues but your post lacks the details to have an option either way.

So it's Cons outweigh the Editor's rating of Excellent?
Are you using Premiere, MDMP?

I have Premiere Elements on my iMac and PCs as well as Hitfilm Professional 2017. My PCs are also equipped with Vegas Movie Studio Platinum Suite that include DVD Architect and Sound Forge. Check out the reviews on HitFilm. It's getting great reviews. HitFilm is easy to learn, if you spend some time with it and watch the on line tutorials on YouTube. I was thinking about getting Final Cut Pro for my iMac, but this review is giving me second thoughts. I will spend some time with iMovie, since it is similar to Final Cut in the new features.

I don't like subscription software, that's why I am staying away from Premiere Pro CC.

Last edited:
I think exporting a clean master of your video in something hearty like 422 then doing work on it in AE is fine. I work in CC and even though I can work within PR on AE I still do any AE work separately then export back in. I find to many linking issues when sharing projects or hen coming back to a project after a few months. Long story short. Yes that is a fine workflow.

I'm a big fan of Premiere CC, but if FCP works for you, do your thang!

Yes, I think your workflow is just fine. But, do you have to export it to h.264? Is there no capability to import the project from FCP into AE? If not, that might be a reason to consider switching to Premiere. It works seamlessly with AE, and any other software you might need.

if you're saying FCP is obsolete
Not saying that. Was an attempt at humor. It's a dying program.

what do you use?
Avid, PP mostly. Can use others. Personally I prefer PP as I mostly do single editor projects these days.

Used other programs like Hitfilm/Resolve as a requirement for particular workplaces and found them to be fine for beginner editors. Once you hit intermediate usage and beyond, they either don't keep up or hold you back.

Use whatever software works best for you. Everyone has different usage requirements. Not everyone is editing at a pro level or requires top end software.

Last edited:
Back