Mic choice for interviews on location?

Hi Guys,

Just looking for a few pointers or tips on how to get the best audio from situations when I am filming interviews on location like in a workplace environment...

Here is an example of the quality of audio I am looking for...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT5T-7eoSd8

At the moment I own a zoom H4n& H1, a rode NTG 1 and a couple of cheap lav mics...

Will they do the job or should I invest in better equipment....

also looking for pointers on extracting the best audio from the situation i.e mic placement etc

Cheers

MJ

I have no idea yet and wont know until I get on location :(

Scout the location. This is part of your "due diligence."

It's all about proximity. You want the mic in CLOSE, and the noisier the environment the closer you need to place the mic.

The Inverse Square Law - In physics, an inverse-square law is any physical law stating that a specified physical quantity or intensity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source of that physical quantity.

So if you hold the mic two (2) inches from the sound source it will only be one quarter (1/4) as loud than if you held the mic one (1) inch away from the sound source. If you are four (4) inches away it will only be one sixteenth (1/16) as loud than if you held the mic one (1) inch away from the sound source. If you hold the mic eight (8) inches from the sound source it will only be one sixty-fourth (1/64) as loud.

You also need to keep in mind that the further away the mic is from the sound source the more ambient noise will be captured.

I would suggest that you use the NTG-1 and a lav.

Back