• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

How much should i charge for a reality show?

If you're not even breaking even, you're not charging anywhere near enough.

Also, pricing for services rarely goes down, it generally goes UP. Cutting your rate shoots yourself in the foot.

Also, 26 minutes is not a realistic length for a TV show. A typical half hour time slot, when you figure in commercial breaks, is about 22 minutes.

Also, 26 minutes is not a realistic length for a TV show. A typical half hour time slot, when you figure in commercial breaks, is about 22 minutes.

Thanks for the tips,
The reason it's 26 minutes is because the tv station gives us 4 minutes for sponsored commercials, and they keep another 4 minutes i believe.

You can say that he's well off, considering he's always talking about his escalade, and has a nice large home, and is always taking exotic trips to Vegas and Miami.
He is well off mainly because he doesn't pay people for the hard work they do, and takes advantage of their generosity, reaping the rewards of a job well done and screwing the working stiff.

Fixed that for ya.

At this point, we have shot 3 shows, and a local TV station is now waiting for the full season. So he is pushing me to start rolling the episoded out ASAP. (...) Do i start charging now, or wait till season two?

The show's been picked up? You start charging now, and if you're smart all your previous time & effort should have been just deferred - not free. You should be charging a legitimate rate, too, to properly compensate not only yourself, but the crew.

Also, stop letting this clown walk all over you.

How much to charge?

What is your day rate? A rate that makes your time worth while.
Is it $50 per day? $200? Then ask the other crew the same question.

Let's say you charge $300/day for 12hr day – that's $21/hr. Pay the
rest of the crew $200/day – that's $14/hr. If you aren't shooting
12 hour days you could simply use that as your hourly fee. You should
add a kit rental (the gear you all are bringing) and a small per diem
for food. So you're looking at a fee of $1,200 to $1,300 per day. A
VERY low rate for a reality show. Round up to $1,500 per day.

The other way to decide on the rates is to ask the producer what his
budget if for each episode. Then you divide that between the crew
and the days it takes to shoot.

Do i start charging now, or wait till season two? and is my set price reasonable?
I'd say $1,500 per episode is reasonable if it take your crew one day
to shoot an episode. How many days are you shooting for each episode?
And start charging now.

What about post? Are you doing that? Does the $1,500 per episode rate
include post and deliverables to the TV station?

I know you're worried that if you charge more than he can afford he'll find
someone else to drive four hours with a crew of four for $200. So you need
to balance carefully. Show him some numbers and then ask him what he
can afford.

I know you're worried that if you charge more than he can afford he'll find
someone else to drive four hours with a crew of four for $200.

I'd let him find someone else. Even if the work is fun, you have to at least break even... and if you're not able to make (even a small) profit, it's really probably not worthwhile, in the long run.

Thanks alot to everyone for the advice.
Pretty much i just have to grow a pair, and let him know that i need to raise my prices.

But like Will Said, if he decides to go for someone else, its fine with me. I'd rather spend more time on a more artistic type of Filmmaking.

You can always use the route... It's not something I want to get involved with unless I'm getting paid proper rates.

or.... shoot the first 6 minutes at the agreed rate. Then quote the rest of the "project creep" using normal or inflated rates. 6mins creeping to 7 minutes isn't too bad but 6 to 24 is significant.

Agreed. Scope creep is a big deal, and it absolutely must be billed for. Scope creep is apparently what put so many vfx houses out of business over the past few years. Well that and foreign government subsidies, but scope creep is the bigger issue as far as I'm concerned.

if you're working for that little, then you should be getting a percentage of the gross for when/if the show takes off

Back