My Short Film (drama)

Hi, My names Danny.

I'm 17 and am studying media at school. For our assessment task we have to make a short film, so I've been thinking about what I'm going to do, and I'd love some feedback!

Heres the basic synopsis so far:
I want to explore racial discrimination as well as identity and belonging, but in a symbolic way. There will be a character who is purple (purple clothes, purple body paint) and every other character will be dressed in dark gray or black.
Its clear that purple is discriminated against, both by the general public (staring and lack of courtesy) and society/government (unequal rights).
We go through the things that happen to purple, and there is a scene where hes crying in the shower, trying to scrub of his colour but it doesn't come off.
Eventually, and this hasnt been fully thought through, but one of the grays has to go with purple. They go to a place where everyone is purple, and suddenly the situation has shifted and a gray is the odd one out. However, the purples treat him with equality and respect.
The end.

I want the atmosphere to be really gritty when they are in gray land. All negative and such. I also want to achieve the differentiation in a similar way to what M. Night Shyamalan did in Unbreakable (the scene where Bruce Willis is in the station, and there are few people who are greatly contrasted to the monotone surroundings.

Also, I'm considering making it a silent film (with only music). The music i've picked out is here.

I need help with ALL aspects of this film. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions regarding:
-Story/Screenplay
-Achieving the "film look"
-Getting the "Unbreakable" effect
-What cues in the music I should match
-Having the atmosphere i want
-Anything else

Thanks in advance, looking forward to hearing what you all think :D

I like your idea. Here are some tips for the things you asked about:

Story/Screenplay: It sounds as though you have your basic idea down. The way it was described I don't imagine very much dialogue to begin with. So you script may just be a more detailed treatment of what you already explained. It also would be good for you to storyboard your shots, but always knowing there's room to improvise if you see something better when shooting. Just make sure whatever you use, you have a good idea of what you are trying to achieve so you are more likely to finish your film.

Film Look: Hot/Controversial topic. The number one most important thing you'll hear from any of us on this site is to light, compose, and be decisive with your camera. Remember, the camera is completely in your control. So be smart with it.

Also using a camera that will shoot progressive instead of interlaced is good. I can't remember but I think if you are from Australia you'll probably be using PAL format instead of NTSC. Either way, try to shoot in 24p, 25p, or 30p. Even if you can't do that, you can always de-interlace in post production with premiere, vegas, or final cut. But remember lighting and composition are king for achieving the so called "film" look. I think when people say they want a "film" look, they don't as much mean film as they do "cinematic." After all, many films are now shot digitally but they still look cinematic.

Atmosphere: This is more abstract. But just trust your ideas. Watch a David Lynch film and you'll better understand how to create atmosphere. Eraserhead is a great film for any filmmaker to watch when trying to better understand atmosphere. After all, even Stanley Kubrick made his actors from the Shining watch the film Eraserhead so they understood the atmosphere and feel he was wanting.

Also, if you aren't a musician, try and get someone to record some score for your film. Having a score tailored just for your images will go a long way in making the story better. But don't forget, sometimes no score in places can be very powerful as well.

But above all, make the film you want to make.

I hope I've helped somewhat.

Last edited:
Hi,

I don't have much advice to give, but I read synopsis and it seems like a very well-written and well thought story. I can imagine everything about this purple man. It'll be a great short!

Back