• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Can I get in trouble if my story is like another show?

I'm getting into screen writing and I wanted to start off by writing a pilot to a Teen Drama type show.

It wasn't intentional to have the same elements from this anime show I watched, but it's actually looking like the same type of show. Different main storyline but I have things such as the main character joins the track team (a way to impress the lead actress), the main actress is always upset with the protagonist, he likes her even though shes upset with him etc. Those things were pretty much coincidence but I feel like if someone ever read/watched a completed version they would be able to say "this is like 'anime show".

I have already thought of different aspects and scenarios for this storyline that is a lot different from that anime show.

Could I get in trouble for that?

Why not change things? How truly important are the specifics? Instead of track how about wrestling? Maybe a different romantic roadblock?

Oh, are you writing without budget considerations at this point?

No, you will not get into trouble.

But no one will finance a production that essentially duplicates an existing entertainment product.
Meaning you're essentially wasting time writing fan fiction in screenplay format.

Change genders.
Change occupations.
Change scenarios.
Change times.

Dances With Wolves
The Last Samurai
District 9

All have the exact same fundamental story construct foundation.
Notably different stories.

Do that.

Additionally, watch 'Star Wars IV' then 'The Hidden Forest' and learn how much trouble GLucas got into.
http://www.moongadget.com/origins/kurosawa.html

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice.

The running part is important, at first that was one of the main elements of my idea then I thought it would be even better if he joined the track team to compete. That's when I thought wait a minute, now this is looking like 'show'.

It was my friends idea to make the girl a "bitch" instead of a nice girl which is what I was thinking of at the start, she never watched this anime show so that was completely coincidence.

Those are the 2 main things that are similar. They kind of share the same ideas but the idea of this show would head in a different direction than the anime show.

In the show the main girl is apart of the track team herself but a high jumper. In my story idea the girl isn't apart of the track team but her BF is and I wanted to do some rivalry there.

Having the protagonist join the track is pretty important. Do you think that I'm copying this anime show by having him join the track team? I've thought of different scenarios that would happen that would seperate these two from seeming like the exact same show.

What do you think?

It doesn't seem like it'd be an issue.

But if you're concerned, I don't see why the track thing can't change. The fact that it's track doesn't seem pivotal to the story - track is just a vehicle for conflict and competition between characters. That could be filled by any competition (e.g. wrestling). Hell it doesn't even have to be sport. Wouldn't it be more fun, unique and interesting to have him join the school newspaper in his attempts to get the girl? Become competitive with her bf over some 'scoop' (one that no one would care about, because no-one cares about the school newspaper in reality).

I don't know if that would fit tonally with your piece, but my suggestion took no more than 14 seconds of thinking, so unless track (and other elements) of your story are vital, there doesn't seem to be much reason you can't alter them.

It doesn't seem like it'd be an issue.

But if you're concerned, I don't see why the track thing can't change. The fact that it's track doesn't seem pivotal to the story - track is just a vehicle for conflict and competition between characters. That could be filled by any competition (e.g. wrestling). Hell it doesn't even have to be sport. Wouldn't it be more fun, unique and interesting to have him join the school newspaper in his attempts to get the girl? Become competitive with her bf over some 'scoop' (one that no one would care about, because no-one cares about the school newspaper in reality).

I don't know if that would fit tonally with your piece, but my suggestion took no more than 14 seconds of thinking, so unless track (and other elements) of your story are vital, there doesn't seem to be much reason you can't alter them.

ahahah has that idea been done before? That's pretty good. The actual running part is important to this story. It's the track team part that is the main issue. If he joins the track team then there's a lot that it could contribute to the storyline that wouldn't be taken from the anime show.

The only thing is there is stuff from the show I would be tempted to borrow but I'd try to stay away from doing that.

The running part is the main focus. The track part would just make things so much easier (and also entertaining).

Last edited:
ahahah has that idea been done before? That's pretty good. The actual running part is important to this story. It's the track team part that is the main issue. If he joins the track team then there's a lot that it could contribute to the storyline that wouldn't be taken from the anime show.

The only thing is there is stuff from the show I would be tempted to borrow but I'd try to stay away from doing that.

The running part is the main focus. The track part would just make things so much easier (and also entertaining).
Maybe? I don't really watch these kinds of shows.

Is it the track part that is similar to the anime? Or the running itself? If the former, you could always make it a different form of running (e.g. cross country).

Tbh, I wouldn't worry about that specific detail so much. It's a cliche in so many high school shows/movies to have people in track/football/etc teams it's hardly going to make it appear similar to the anime.

Maybe? I don't really watch these kinds of shows.

Is it the track part that is similar to the anime? Or the running itself? If the former, you could always make it a different form of running (e.g. cross country).

Tbh, I wouldn't worry about that specific detail so much. It's a cliche in so many high school shows/movies to have people in track/football/etc teams it's hardly going to make it appear similar to the anime.

It's the track part itself that is the main problem. Yeah you're right, I never thought about different types of running, I guess I could focus more on mile running instead of short-distant racing which is the highlight of the anime.

Thanks!

What kind of "show" are you planning to do?

Just spec screenwriting, no directing or producing?
Writer & directing?
Live action, yes?
A short, feature, series, if series - for broadcast or internet?
What is the target audience mix of males, females, over/under 18?
Genre? Sport drama or teen drama?
Does your "show" have a marketable audience?

What kind of "show" are you planning to do?

Just spec screenwriting, no directing or producing?
Writer & directing?
Live action, yes?
A short, feature, series, if series - for broadcast or internet?
What is the target audience mix of males, females, over/under 18?
Genre? Sport drama or teen drama?
Does your "show" have a marketable audience?

This is basically for learning only but... it's not something I would shoot on my own. I'm just pretty much trying to create a story that people would be interested in watching.

Networks like ABC are pretty desperate for Teen Dramas so if I were to write something that was interesting they would come begging up to me with tears in their eyes.

im mostly kidding. I'm doing this with intention of learning, it's pretty much my first idea for a Teen Drama and it might not be one that people are interested in.

Just spec screenwriting, no directing or producing? fan fiction
Writer & directing? Neither
Live action, yes? Presume... "Yes"?
A short, feature, series, if series - for broadcast or internet? Presume... twelve episode TV season series.
What is the target audience mix of males, females, over/under 18? - ? -
Genre? Sport drama or teen drama? Teen Drama. (IMHO, the work would stand out better if it were more competitive sport oriented.)
Does your "show" have a marketable audience? What demographic of teens?

How are you planning on making this the 'Game of Thrones' or 'Breaking Bad' of teen drama?
A story & B stories?
Just a single protagonist or interweaving multiple protagonists?
What does the protag think he or she wants?
What does he or she REALLY want?

I think Director Rik works regularly as a cameraman on series shows.
If he can weigh in on this that'd help guide you a great deal.

Last edited:

Sorry to say, most of this has been done before, lots of times. Teen male jock tries to catch interest of disinterested popular girl. OMG, this is in every teen script that slides across my desk. Sometimes, it's switched up with a science nerd or the new guy/girl. "Boy falls for girl and tries to win her affections" is an age-old trope. So the anime also copied it. How many "friends who share an apartment" sitcoms are there? Just make the story your own. I can guarantee it's not original and you'd be hard pressed to make it original. It's too common a romantic theme. Work instead to make it enjoyable with fully developed characters that your audience can relate to. If you plan to shoot it yourself, it doesn't matter. Developing strong, unique characters and interesting situations is what will set it apart. Good luck.

Back