Should I Sell My Canon 1014 For HD?

I really want to make filming a profession and right now I have a standard mini-dv Panasonic camera where it's quality is lacking in the online HD movement.

I have a super-8 camera and I need help from the people who love film - do you think it's worth it to sell my canon 1014 for an HD camera?

I really love film, and I have yet to even work with my super-8 camera because of how expensive it is. But I would really enjoy filming on celluloid one day.

But yet, until then, my regular videos will be lacking in quality on youtube, and vimeo. What should I do?

If you have an excellent script, great actors, terrific lighting
and perfect sound that will go a long way to making your projects
have the quality you want.

Shoot six short movies with the above qualities on your Panasonic
before you sell your super 8 camera. There is a very real
possibility that as you make more and better movies, concentrating
on getting great audio, attracting great actors and building your
crew contacts that you will find a DP who owns a HD camera.

At some point you will find the project that needs to be shot on super
8 and you'll sacrifice until you raise the money. You'll be glad you
kept the Canon.

I struggled with kind of the same thing.

I have various 16mm and super 8mm, but no real video camera to speak of, so I decided recently to meet myself halfway and sell a few 16mm set-ups and an S8, and keep one 16mm.

I guess one option might be to sell the 1014 and pick up a cheap 310xl (which just isn’t by any means a 1014, but its still something) to shoot some s8 with should the need arise in one of your video projects to add some s8, then use the remaining cash toward your new camera?

I would have a really hard time parting with a 1014 in nice condition.

-Thanks-

I'd try to figure out what HD camera you think you want and then see what Canon 1014s sell for on Ebay. (There are several up for sale right now.) If it we up to me, I'd put it up for $250-300 reserve and if it doesn't sell, then keep it.

Back