Mel Chose Super 16?

Ouch. Sorry, N/M. He didn't choose Super 16, but Panavision Genesis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genesis_(Panavision)). I'd delete this thread, if I could.

Then again, you know what, let me ask you about this. I recently re-watched Apocalypto, and I was thinking, gee, this looks a lot like video. Then I found this link, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Films_shot_in_Super_16, and erroneously thought Mel had shot it in Super 16mm.

So, I was right in the first place... it's video. Hey, I'm a fan of the movie. I think it's damn good and that Mel is an outstanding director. But gee wiz, you really can tell it's video, can't you? So, is that a bad thing, good, or does it matter? Here is a man who is purported to be worth one billion dollars. Why did he chose what he chose? What if he had filmed it in Super 16 or 35mm? If Mel had asked you, should I go with HDV or film, what would you have adviced him to do? Would it have been better in film, or was video the way to go?

Last edited:
Most people go with video because that's what it's been shot on for since...well, there were movies. Think about it, the movie "Public Enemies" which is obviously shot in digital, then look at either Apocalypto or another older movie you know was shot on film, and compare.

Despite my dislike of the ending of Enemies, the shooting set up seemed as if someone was armed with a hand-held RED or some other uber powered digital cam just suddenly dropped in on Dillinger and his gang as he made his way around the Mid-West. Which could have worked, but it didn't...it seemed...almost amateurish.

People are still used to the look of video. You can get (or build) a 35mm adapter for your digi-cam to get the DOF of a film camcorder and then run it through a digital filter program later on in post to get the "film" look even more, but some people opt for film right away and avoid the extra hassle. But they pay a higher price to have the negatives developed. The other thing is that most movie theaters still need to run film on their projectors. So unless you don't want to pay to have your digital movie transferred onto film to play in theaters, you're going to be stuck with only a certain number of places that can play a digital movie from a digital media. True, this is changing, but at the moment, they're still the majority.

We're kind of at a turning point in movies I think, where film and digital co-exist at the moment. Digital hasn't quite gotten big enough for the public to accept it yet as the standard medium for movie production, but film isn't as cheap as it used to be. I think the public still view's digital as too "Home Movie"-ish. Anyone can buy a small digital video camera and shoot a home movie, but to run a large film camcorder and shoot a film, now that's professional...at least they think.

There need's to be more "Good" representations of what digital can do for film, such as the movie "District 9", all shot with one RED1 digital video camera.

Another thing is the term itself. "I'm going to go watch a film." Even though it may be shot with a complete digital setup, it's been ingrained into our culture that movies are shot on film, therefore are films. Though it will eventually become more of a universal analogy such as the term "Pictures" since the advent of digital still camera's eclipsing film SLR's and point and shoots in people's everyday lives. Though artist, like me, still use film for it's look, and overall charm, digital is becoming ever more useful and quite frankly, better than film could be in the hands of the most skilled photographers of past or present.

But hey, that's just my opinion :D

Back